Top Banana Challenger

Author Topic: Top Banana Challenger  (Read 42763 times)

Offline Lunchbox

Re: Top Banana Challenger
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2007 - 12:29:33 AM »
Hands back to 100%  :jumping: I got the dash from Ultimate rides in the mail. I ordered it on 9 Jan 07 received it 20 Mar 07. Here are some side by sides and some comparisons between my original and the new one.

The original dash had bare steel exposed on the bottom side; the new pad is painted black. Also the new 70 pad comes with a chrome Challenger logo on it. As you can see in the picture with the Challenger logo the foam in the speaker area is thicker then the original.

Lunch

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 03:19:31 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2007 - 12:36:28 AM »
Some of my other concerns were the crispness of some of the corners were plastic trim pieces meet up. I tried to fit the one that goes around the radio and it was a no go as of now. Some of the areas can be trimmed back to resemble the factory and that may clear up some of the fitment areas. 

Lunch
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 03:23:03 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2007 - 12:44:01 AM »
The defroster vents don’t have material all the way through like the factory (first 2 pics). The grain is also somewhat different. There will be trimming needed around the center speaker, A/C vents, and the light bar. Another concern I have is thickness of the foam under the area that the VIN is mounted. I have heard some say that the stitching is wavy but mine seems to be nice and straight. The rest of the dash looks great, I would give it overall 7 out of 10, a few more tweaks to the process and it would be right there. The grain is really only noticeable when the old dash and the new one are right next to each other.

Lunch
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 03:25:01 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2007 - 04:36:07 AM »
Looks as though the dash is very close to the orig with the few things you pointed out.  Who knows, they may have had to do the same type trimming when installing at the factory.  Molding foam is a tricky business.  I know it will look good when installed.  I went the cheaper route.  I bought a dash cap for now.  It looks like it will be just fine for my driver.
Dave or David

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2007 - 05:39:21 AM »
Check and see if the sides are flared out enough, the left side on mine was bent in a little leaving a gap at the windshield pillar. Not a big deal probably a bent core overall a good piece.
I agree they may have had to do the same trimming when the dashes were assembled back in the day.
Dave

Offline mackschallenger

« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2007 - 07:53:42 PM »
I sent mine to ultimate rides and thought they did a really good job .I had aproblem with getting the outer parts of the dash to meet up with the lower plastic trim.But with manipulation I was able to get a good fit .The vin tag went on ok but There was a little extra squish.Overall I was happy with the dash.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2007 - 04:26:41 PM »
I had some other things I needed to get done this weekend so didn't get to much done on the Chally. I made a box that I can hook up my vacuum to and suck the dust out of the sand as I sift it. I also made a mount that I can mount my dash frame to. It will be nice to bw able to work on it also to store it when it is back together. I put my new dash pad on the frame and noticed a problem on the Pass side. Not sure how to fix it without cuting the frame or it might be a bad dash pad. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Lunch
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 03:27:23 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2007 - 05:03:47 PM »
Looks like good woodworking there Lunch.  I see you may have already wallowed out the mounting hole a little bit. Did the dash mount up at the windshield ok?  Maybe the mounting bolt is situated a little too high.   :dunno:
Dave or David

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2007 - 05:13:33 PM »
Looks like good woodworking there Lunch.  I see you may have already wallowed out the mounting hole a little bit. Did the dash mount up at the windshield ok?  Maybe the mounting bolt is situated a little too high.   :dunno:

The hole is still stock. And the car is a bar shell so I haven't mounted it up to check any clearences. I also put my center speaker grill in and it didn't fit worth a dang anyways. It wierd cause I have heard so many good things about these dashes before.

Lunch

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2007 - 06:09:26 PM »
Here are some pictures we talked about on my dash.
The edgees are not prefect but it should give you a guide on the mounting.
The second pictures shows the area that needs the most work on mine , it appears the core is bent inward.
Dave

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2007 - 06:12:45 PM »
If it would help I can get pictures of my 71 Challenger that still has is original pad installed for reference.
Dave

Offline mackschallenger

« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2007 - 08:04:15 PM »
heres a couple of pics of mine with a scratch i still have to fix.I had to adjust some of those mounting pegs when I assembled mine it was a bit of a struggle. It looks like they pulled the outer vinyl up a little tight  in the center of that bottom edge on yours.It may not be that noticeable when you get the bottom painted.And you might not even see it when the door is shut..

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2007 - 09:18:38 PM »
Thanks for the pics guys  :2thumbs:

Farmboy

I dont think the dash frame is bent. In person it looks nice and straight except from the rust that the mice made  :eek4: I still have the old dash pad and it fits like a glove. Nice and straight along that edge. Looks like yours has a slight gap to on the 73  :dunno: maybe thats just the way they are.

Mackschallenger

I think I agree that the vinyl is pulled to tight. Seems that the factory dash has more padding along that line and the UR dash pulled it tight and glued it. The thing about not noticing it would drive me crazy, plus I paid $650 for it it, For that price the Challenger logo should be made of gold.   :naughty:

Did either of you remove the excess material in the center speaker area?

Thanks
Lunch
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007 - 09:25:27 PM by Lunchbox »

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2007 - 07:29:38 AM »
Here are some pictures of my 71 it is the original pad.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2007 - 12:10:29 AM »
Sent a emil to Ultimate Rides with my concerns and they asked for pictures. So I sent them some of the gap and they decided that they would pay to have my dash sent back and they will send me a new one in under a week. I will give an update when I get the new one.

Lunch