Top Banana Challenger

Author Topic: Top Banana Challenger  (Read 42791 times)

Offline farmboy70

Re: Top Banana Challenger
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2006 - 05:01:02 PM »
Man the small parts prices do add up don't they. With the quality of all the items that car is going to look great! :2thumbs:

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2006 - 12:05:59 PM »
Man the small parts prices do add up don't they. With the quality of all the items that car is going to look great! :2thumbs:

Yes they do but I have tried to spread the coast out over some time now and that has worked pretty good. The cost may not be worthy of a 340 4 Barr, but it's what I want to do.  :smokin:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008 - 03:06:15 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2006 - 07:44:35 AM »
Amen to that, we all gotta do what makes us happy. I'd love to be able to do like you are doing but I'm doing what makes my car get finished with the money that's available. I'll do more as time goes on once I get it out the door. Looking good, nice nice parts!!  :grinyes:

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2006 - 03:30:12 PM »
Got my new blast cabinet up and running today.  :jumping: Runs like a champ. This is the first time I have used one and was very impressed with the quality and the functionalitly of it. I purchased it at Northern Tool. It is all welded together no bolt on sides or legs. Nice and solid. I put my used rusty intake manifold in there to give her a test run. Takes time but its hopefully it will save me time and money in the end.

Heres what it looks like. I will get a actual pic of it later this week.

Lunch
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 03:03:02 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2006 - 10:34:51 AM »
Got a little more progress done on the Chally this weekend. We decided to drop the front K member out of the car. We started by removing the top shock nuts. Then we started to remove the upper a-arms cam bolts. We forgot to take the tension of the lower a-arms from the torsion bars and once we did this the cam bolts came out really easy.

After that we started to remove the 4 bolts that hold the k member in. The bolt size was 1 1/16" my max socket size was 1" so it was a lot of wrenching to get the four off. All the while we had the K member supported by two jacks.

Then we lowered the K member a few inches, pulled it forward a few inches and it relased from the torsion bars with some light taps form the mallet.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 03:03:48 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2006 - 09:43:07 PM »
Lunchbox, it's good to see you pulled the front suspension completely off prior to do any work.  I made the mistake of keeping my front suspension intact when I brought it in for blasting/painting and now I'm having those areas repainted once I get the time and funds to clean the areas that were covered by the UCA's and K-frame mounting points.

With that said, nice progress!!! :cheers: :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2006 - 10:43:43 AM »
Got my proportioning valve back, master cylinder and brake booster back. Here are some before and after pics of the parts. $500

Totally Auto
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 03:04:43 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2006 - 11:33:40 AM »
Wow Lunchbox...looking awesome!

Keep the pics coming.   :bigsmile:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2006 - 05:43:11 PM »
Well today I got the last of the major parts off my car. The rear end came out and it was a fight the whole time. The k member was easier than the rear end.   :eek7:  I only have a handful of things that can still be unbolted/unscrewed from the car.

During the whole tear down I only ended up snapping off something like 6 bolts (not counting the left hand lug nut we snapped off due to  :banghead:) The upper shock bolts were a PITA and we snapped one of the two lower shock mount bolts. Then we ended up having to cut the shackles and U-bolts off. I'm convinced if we would have tried harder we would have gotten them.

Almost time for body work to start  :naughty:  Will be buying a welder in due order
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 03:05:55 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2006 - 06:29:07 PM »
Some nice parts restored there!  Good progress :cheers: 
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2006 - 12:07:25 AM »
Looks like you made some progress; also nice shop.  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2006 - 07:36:32 AM »
Looks like you're ready to start rebuilding, restoring, cutting welding, grinding, sandblasting, painting, coating, fitting, inventing, cleaning, cleaning, oops, I already said that, but then you will have a lot more cleaning on top of all that cleaning. LOL, true, the cleaning is probably the biggest hardest dirtiest job next to, well, you know. Good luck, can't wait to see the progress reports as you move along.  :popcorn:

Offline mrcuda

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2006 - 07:45:49 AM »
From what I can see, the body looks pretty good. Doesn't seem like alot of sheetmetal work is going to be needed. Which saves a whole lot of  :working:.

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2007 - 02:29:17 PM »
 :wow: Looks loke you came a long way levi,those parts look awesome,i think i'll be rebuilding all mine though after looking at the cost of some of them,will need my dough for body prep and paint when ready.thanks for the pics and keep em coming.soon you'll be about where i'm at in no time.check my resto same thread to see what i mean.--later, dave.  :ylsuper: job you got done so far,  :2thumbs:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2007 - 12:56:22 AM »
Well I have been doing a little extra project in my spare time, The Clown gave me the idea  :thinkerg: I purchased 2 1/18 diecast models from the net and used the parts form the two to make a mock up of what my car will look like. I changed the rims, painted the interior, changed the roof from white to black, added the bumblee bee strip, and touched up the grill. Its still wearing the 426 callouts along with the R/T since I haven't been able to figure out how to take them off yet with out messing up the yellow :clueless:

Later this week I will post a update on the real car.  :ylsuper:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 03:06:45 AM by Lunchbox »