Top Banana Challenger

Author Topic: Top Banana Challenger  (Read 42771 times)

Offline Lunchbox

Top Banana Challenger
« on: October 27, 2006 - 05:22:05 PM »
First of I would like to say that there is a lot of great information on this board and the atmosphere here is way better then I have seen on other boards. This is where I will do a little intro and tell the story of my car. The avatar was a pic I took in Iraq on patrol. The signature picture was a pic of the car taken in 1975.

My dad was second owner of this car in 1974 and owned it for several years, then unfortunately sold it. Last year some pictures surfaced that he had taken in 1975 of the car on the family farm.

I started to get interested in the car and ended up trying to track down the car. I started of first by calling the state DMV and asking them if they could find the current owner of the car. Problem was I didn't have the VIN to give them. After a few weeks they called me back saying they found the car and the current owner. Excitedly I asked who it was. They then informed me that I would have to send a small fee in to get the information. After another few weeks the information came in the mail. Then I used the power of the internet and found the guys name, address, and phone number, which it was only a short hour away.

We called him up and he still had the car! Very excited! However he didn't want to sell it  :faint: we did ask if we could come and look at the car and he agreed to that, so that weekend a short road trip was made. The car which had been parked in a barn since 1983 was covered in dust, wearing blue paint, with a roll of barb-wire resting on the hood.

The car looked great, except the A/C system, carb, intake, and air cleaner was missing. The floor pans had about 2 inches of mice crap and seat foam mixed in (as seen in second pic). The mice are costing me lots of money. They ate parts of the interior which are very expensive. They ate the whole shifter boot, and glove box. If there was a broadcast sheet that was eaten too. They chewed on all the window cranks, steering wheel, kick panels, inside quarter panels, headliner, and more.

After walking away that day empty handed we waited a month and called him again. This time his tone change and said he would think about it this time.  :o He called back the next day and asked if we could come pick it up that weekend.  :crazy:

So now I am in the progress of taking it down to the body and restoring some of the componets. I will be updating this as I go and likely get lots of help along the way.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 02:38:20 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline inot2old

Re: Top Banana Challenger
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006 - 05:31:21 PM »
Thats a great story, congraats on getting the car back.  Are you gonna go back to the top banana?
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006 - 05:46:56 PM »
DAMMN MICE!!  I hate those mices to pieces!!   :swear:   Sweet deal though to find the car again!!   Very cool!!  Back to yellow or keep it blue??   :clueless:

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006 - 08:16:44 PM »
Yeah its going to go back bone stock. The way I look at it is FY1 was extra cost option at $14 bucks. Now that would cost $70 dollars today. Gotta love the FY1  :working:

Offline scf100

• FAST LANE FOREVER!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006 - 08:32:20 PM »
My car orig had the bumble bee stripe and black vinyl roof like yours!

nice job tracking it down...the DMV in Ga will not do that I was told...
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 383…. 4-speed…3.91 suregrip

Triple Black

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006 - 09:41:33 PM »
My car orig had the bumble bee stripe and black vinyl roof like yours!

Nice car, I wish my car came with the blackout treatment on the hood like yours has. I know I could put it on but it wouldn't be right.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006 - 11:45:26 PM »
Glad to see you were able to get the car back. With some motivation you should be able to bring it back to it's original glory. Good Luck!

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006 - 02:00:34 AM »
Great story  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006 - 05:54:51 AM »

That's a great story indeed. Glad to hear you get the car back and also glad for the cars sake that it's going to be restored and rescued from the barn, some aren't that lucky. Also, If you like the blacked out hood treatment, do it. It's your car and no one is going to deduct points from you driving down the street with "incorrect" options and 95% of the guys aren't going to say anything & at the end of the day, it can be removed, it's not permanent. Don't build your car for anyone else. Welcome to the board, by-the-way, what's the story behind your user name?

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006 - 06:02:01 AM »
YO LUNCHBOX, Way too cool!  Glad you found your car.... At least the mice have good taste in autos.

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006 - 06:47:06 AM »
Great story.  looking forward to seeing pics of your progress.  :2thumbs:
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006 - 06:48:21 AM »
Very coool!  I love happy endings!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Nice pics too!  I really like the old pics when it was Top Bannana.

Those mice will get ya everytime!  Got most of one of my build sheets, filled the cowl air intake with junk and now I have cowl rust!  :crying:  Oh well....

Love the pic in the signature.  It's like Vanishing Point but with Techni-Color!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006 - 07:50:17 AM »
Hey lunchbox I love the old pic's of that car,Our cars are like brothers.Mine just had a case of cancer and wasn't loved the way I love it.As far as option's go,It's your car and do what makes you happy.Mine didn't come with a shaker or a go-wing but will have them because thats the way I picture my car done.The story about tracking your car down is awsome,but let me ask you something.After all is done don't you want to look for more?I find that the hunt for them is as much fun as fixing and driving them.-------The Clown

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006 - 12:46:29 PM »
Awesome story!! The prodigal Mopar returns  :cheers: :thumbsup:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006 - 04:25:50 PM »
Thanks for all of the reply’s I will be updating as I go with lots of pics.

Even though I want a blackout hood treatment I couldn't bring my self to make something it didn’t have then. Just the way I am. However I do have a pretty good list of options...

EN1   End of line 1 build
26   26” radiator
Y05   Built to U.S. specs.
N41   Duel exhaust without tips
N42   Chrome duel exhaust tips
N85   Tachometer
R22   AM with 8track
V9X   Rear deck lid panel strip
C62   Left hand 6-way manual adjustment bucket
G36   Outside duel painted racing mirror
H51   Single air with heater
J45   Hoodpins with lanyards
J54   Hood insulation pad
M21   Roof drip rail moldings
V1X   Full vinyl roof, black
A01   Light package
A62   Ralley Cluster
A66   Challenger 340 performance package 70’
B51   Power assist disc brakes
C55   Bucket seats
FY1   Top banana yellow
H5X9   H-highline, 5-bucket, X9-black
000   Upper door color code
312   Build date: March 12
E55   340ci 4 barrel
D21   HD 4spd man

Not So good Add ons
ALF Air Freshener
Ham radio antenna (holes drilled in bumper, rear panel, and dash)
Yellow Carpet on Rearpackage tray

what's the story behind your user name?

It started in 01 when I was activated after the 9/11 strikes, I ended up getting let go 4 hours into my 12 hour shift and came home with a lunchbox still full of food. My roommates were having a party and drunk, so the making fun of the guy holding his lunchbox in sued. The kicker was I went to change cloths and I came down stairs and they had eaten my food.  :eek4:

but let me ask you something. After all is done don't you want to look for more? I find that the hunt for them is as much fun as fixing and driving them.-------The Clown

I’m sure I am just like everyone, I drive down back roads and I am looking into peoples backyards for a nose or tail of a car sticking out. The reason I found my car was because I new the name of one of the previous owners. They had to hand dig through boxes of old papers to find this info, because it wasn't in any computer. I still look, but I would rather have this one done before I blow money on another one and have no cars done.

That being said if something that was just to temping, yes I would by it.   :smokin:

I was driving around town and noticed a T/A parked in the cross street so I drove by it. Then I noticed in the driveway 3 more Challengers sitting there. I ended up walking up to him (he was working in the garage) and talked to him for about a hour. Ended up finding out he had something like 15 Challengers in storage with a hand full of Cudas. One was a 340 with a factory sunroof. All the others but the T/A were Big Blocks so he said. And with 4 Challengers sitting in a 200 ft radius of his house I believed him.  :drool:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007 - 07:35:08 PM by Lunchbox »