Top Banana Challenger

Author Topic: Top Banana Challenger  (Read 42802 times)

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Re: Top Banana Challenger
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006 - 11:51:35 AM »
Awesome story, you'll have some great memories putting er' back to greatness, as I hope I will too.   :woo:

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006 - 06:02:44 PM »
1. Got the engine out, here is a pic of it still in...

2. Getting ready to pull the engine and tranny out as one unit

3. As we started to tilt the engine up wheat started to fall out of the cut-off head pipe right after the exhast    manifold, then it was on the engine stand and the exhaust manifolds came off...

4. Then the heads came off and saw what was really in there... There was wheat in two of the cylinders on the left side and on the right side two of the cylinders had mice poop in it. Its nice to see that they separate their food and their bathroom likes this, keeps things organized  :eek4: Also the wet floor under the engine is from forgetting to drain the coolant from the block. I am going to say it was from the thick oily dirt build up on the block  ::)

5. And now a pic of the empty engine bay.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 02:40:41 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006 - 07:36:19 PM »
That's a very cool story, Lunchbox!!!  Glad you ended up tracking down your father's old car...Very cool!!! :cheers: :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

crazy larry

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006 - 08:42:56 PM »
   Awesome!         Freakin mice :hyper:

Offline FY1443433

• 1971 Superbee, 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006 - 03:51:54 AM »
Lunchbox,

Things don't just happen, sometimes there is luck and what has happened here is just that luck.  I am very pleased to hear this story had a happy ending.  FY1 is my favorite color on a Challenger. 

Thanks,
FY1

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2006 - 04:46:19 PM »
Heres some old pics.

Here is the replacement floor pan I cut out of another Challenger that took around six hours. Wish the Repopped these  :eek7: Not much other then rip down stuff; but hoping these will help some people with some reference images. I have been sending parts of to be restored. I know this is expensive and some of it I will be doing myself in the future when I get my sandblaster but till then I am doing this. I had SMS Mopar do the rear defroster, hood hinges, six-way seat, pass seat track, heater box, 4 speed assembly, and e-brake.. Good work and fast turn around time except the 6 Way seat I think mine was pretty bad though and they has to make some new tooling.

I also had some work done by Concours Creations. Distributor, Carburetor, and wiper motor.
-Great job name says it all

I just sent some parts to Funk Brothers to check them out along with Totally Auto. Anyone know anything about these last to please share.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 02:48:19 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006 - 05:13:34 AM »
Great story & pics, have some nice stuff u might be interested in. 3.55 sure grip rear end, steering columns, k-member front suspension power disc brakes, etc. :working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline Robert1050

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2006 - 01:17:42 AM »
I got a big kick out of reading your story & seeing the pics - please keep us posted!
Robert
1970 Challenger R/T 440-4
1970 'Cuda 440-6 (Gone, but not forgotten)
1999 Sea-Doo XPL 69.0 MPH
1998 Sea-Doo XPL 66.3 MPH
1981 Eliminator Daytona 80.3 MPH

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2006 - 12:24:38 AM »
Got some more work done. I had to take some time off to get the heater installed in the shop, now that is done I am ready for a long winter of good ol' fun. I have also received back several components form companies that I had restore, I will be taking pictures of those and posting them in a few weeks. I got the front end taken down, now I just need to make a replacement k-frame that has casters on it to remove the front end.

I also brought the dash down in to the comfort of my basement and tore the whole thing apart. Now it’s clean the little things up and repaint or plate as needed. I think I am going to try and use one of those home plating kits for small things and see how it works out. I am not looking forward to a buying a new dash pad, resto cluster, and new dash harness. They are all big ticket items but needs to be done, the dash pad smells like mice pee and the harness must have been a great nutritional supplement. I am also going to put the dash pad back on and mark it for larger speakers before its repainted.

Lunch
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 02:53:57 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006 - 09:19:46 PM »
:droolingbounce:

Pretty excited right now. I just got a letter from the DOT in the mail. I requested any and all information for the VIN # of my Challenger. I received photo copies of all the titles of the car from new.

The car was special ordered new in Apr of 70 to the tune of $4651.00. I got the original owners name but of course it was a really common name and a quick search of dex online returned 15 guys with this name.  :eek7:

Then we realized something interesting. The guy requested his ham radio handle for his license plate. So I searched the FCC records and found the name and address of the guy and called him up.

Little over a half hour goes by and I know so much more then I did before. I was neat to talk to him and hear some of his stories form when he owned it.  :jumping: He also informed me that he probably has pictures, a brochure, and order sheet for it along with some other items. Free for me when he finds them. I just hope he does.  :cooldancing:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008 - 09:44:26 PM by Lunchbox »

71challengher

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006 - 10:02:10 PM »
That's awesome. :2thumbs:

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006 - 01:20:12 AM »
That's good to hear lunchbox, a little detective work goes a long way :thumbsup:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006 - 05:40:27 AM »
Looks like you have gotten a very good start, this will be fun to watch as you bring her back. Any real surprises you didn't anticipate (with the exception of wheat in the engine)?
If you can, please continue to post pics as you move along. Best of luck with your resto!  :2thumbs:

Offline jrwoodjoe

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006 - 07:25:37 AM »
It is amazing what you have been able to find out about your car and that you were able to get it back. It is not often that sort of thing happens. I was lucky enough to buy back the 65 cuda in my sig. I was also able to talk to most of the owners who had the car after I had sold it. I was able to get some photos of those owners with the car too. There is something satisfying about hearing how folks enjoyed the car as much as you do/will. It's also astonishing that they are willing to tell you about it when they don't even know you.

Good luck with your resto. I can't wait to see progress pics...you are off to a great start.

Joe

65 Barracuda
70 Challenger

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006 - 09:18:23 PM »
Here are some of the components that I have had done. Some of the stuff was taken off the car before I even really started ripping it down between TDY's and deployments. Hopefully this will give some ideas for people that may not have the ability to do some of the stuff themselves.

SMS Mopar
 First 5 pics
Concours Creations
 Next 3 pics
Steer and Gear
 Second to last pic
Brewers Performance
 Last pic
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 02:58:17 AM by Lunchbox »