Top Banana Challenger

Author Topic: Top Banana Challenger  (Read 42788 times)

Offline Lunchbox

Re: Top Banana Challenger
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2007 - 10:33:43 AM »
I'm on a new page now so make sure to check the booth out on page 5.

Here is the lower windshield area, looked worse before I blasted it. Some before and after pics.

Lunch
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 03:13:32 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2007 - 04:12:18 PM »
Well a little more work got done. As you can see from the pics on page 5 of the original both we decided it was too small and a PITA to seal the back wall around the car. So the Booth was stretched by 2 more feet wide to a total of 10 ft. Then it was lengthen to enclose the whole car. My Dad did a good job on the booth and made it modular. If we want we can unscrew a section and put the end back on to make a smaller blasting booth or painting booth. The door needs to be made up a little better and some sort of dust collection system also.

I blasted pretty much all day and learned the hard way that I should have gotten a bigger compressor. The thing just doesn't keep up. It still works fine but now I am going to sell it and get a larger one, since I have another vehicle to restore after this one. The hood I bought was basic so we made up a tube around the brim of the helmet with little holes. When blasting we hook it up to an air line and it blows cool air down around my face also keeping dust out of the hood.

I got 85% of the front end sand blasted. I just need to go back and do some touch up and the cowl too. We started with 4-50lbs bags of black blast. After all the front end blasting the sand is all pretty much shot. Towards the end it was like I was just blasting dust. We would blast the 200lbs and then sweep it all up into 5 gallon pails, then sift the sand. Worked pretty well, but really had no way to keep the dust out of the mix and it was time consuming.

The blasting really showed the few bad spots we had on the car, which isn’t too bad for being a rust belt car all its life. I will be at it again tomorrow and will be doing the inside of the firewall and finish up the other stuff I haven’t done yet.

Any tips or suggestions are always appreciated.

Lunch
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 03:14:25 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline moparnocar

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2007 - 05:34:53 PM »
How did your walls and plastic hold up?? I to am probably going to do what u did.. Any tips would be great.. thanks Jason

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2007 - 05:59:24 PM »
Plastic held up great, the ricocheting sand did nothing to it but my clumsy fit did, nothing a little duct tape wouldn't fix. If you build one make it in sections that can be taken apart and stored against the wall or reassembled to make smaller. We lined the bottom of the walls with some burber carpet we had. It helped seal it against the uneven floor. We also move it around to gain more room on the sides of the stationary car. We put the platic up then used some card board before we stapled it to give it a little more rigidity. Don't mount the lights inside the booth they will attract dust. We mounted them on top of the booth and let the light come down through the plastic. Also keep the plastic on the inside and the wood on the outside, the wood is a magnet for the dust.

Thats all I can think of for now any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Lunch

Offline moparnocar

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2007 - 06:40:41 PM »
Plastic held up great, the ricocheting sand did nothing to it but my clumsy fit did, nothing a little duct tape wouldn't fix. If you build one make it in sections that can be taken apart and stored against the wall or reassembled to make smaller. We lined the bottom of the walls with some burber carpet we had. It helped seal it against the uneven floor. We also move it around to gain more room on the sides of the stationary car. We put the platic up then used some card board before we stapled it to give it a little more rigidity. Don't mount the lights inside the booth they will attract dust. We mounted them on top of the booth and let the light come down through the plastic. Also keep the plastic on the inside and the wood on the outside, the wood is a magnet for the dust.

Thats all I can think of for now any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Lunch

Sweet thanks for the help... What mil plastic did u use  4 or 6?? and are those 2x2's for the wood?

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2007 - 06:47:53 PM »
Not sure on the mil but it isn't heavy duty by any means. We used 2x4's becuase they were on sale and it seems like 2x2's are always either twisted at the store or twist and bow in your pickup box on the way home  :eek7: Another reason we went with 2x4's is we are going to be putting up and taking it down a few times along with the extra weight of the lights.

Lunch

Offline Travis72

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2007 - 10:39:17 PM »
Nice job on the booth and the blasting!!!  With some clean plastic and some air filters, it will make a nice booth for painting as well.  I blasted mine outside in the driveway and it makes a mess.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2007 - 11:33:24 PM »
Nice job on the booth and the blasting!!!  With some clean plastic and some air filters, it will make a nice booth for painting as well.  I blasted mine outside in the driveway and it makes a mess.

Travis
72 Cuda

I thought about doing it outside too when it warms up, but I figured you would end up losing so much sand it would cost a ton.  :money: this way I can reuse the sand to a certain degree. I will use it a s a paint booth too but am still trying to work out the details.

Lunch

Offline DG.

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2007 - 05:22:23 AM »
Funny stuf to read that mice poo  :biggrin:  Since then your progress is awesome, good luck with it.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2007 - 05:33:24 AM »
Looking great, Lunchbox!

You make it look so easy, although I know it's definately not!  I really like your sandblaster/paint booth!  Very creative! :2thumbs:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2007 - 01:27:46 PM »
Thanks everyone, I am lerning as I go with lots of help from this board and the people on it  :2thumbs:

Got my Jack back and these are the seats I purcashed at the NATS two years ago, kind of forgot about them.

Lunch
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 - 03:15:28 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2007 - 01:44:56 PM »
Nice seats.  My 6 pack Challenger came with the same seats.  They will look great.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2007 - 03:58:46 PM »
Nice seats.  My 6 pack Challenger came with the same seats.  They will look great.

Thanks  :2thumbs: I like how they look different up close and far away. Im glad Legendary had them.

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2007 - 04:23:29 PM »
Nice work Lunchbox :thumbsup: Mine had those seats as well :cheers:

Russ
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2007 - 05:51:12 AM »
It's sure fun to watch you re construct this sweet car. Keep up the good work, it's great to watch you put your talent to work.  :2thumbs: