Author Topic: Package deal 73 Cuda  (Read 43761 times)

Offline farmboy70

Re: Package deal 73 Cuda
« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2007 - 07:23:40 PM »
No problem on the questions but if your going to pick my brain I can tell you it won't take long! :grinno: Not much up there anyway.
After the EPA banned lead PPG reformulated DP epoxy's to DPLF(lead free) The adheasion is not as good as it was before this,still a good product just not like before.Dp had such good bite before the change that if you got it on glass it would stick and be very hard to get off. Using the acid etch(dx 1791) gives it a boost in adhesion.
I don't use any of the rust stop paints on any area that get's finish paint, only on interior panels like inside frames,doors ,drop extensions,ect.
When these products first came out they said you could just paint over it (didn't work),then it was wait until it dried some and paint over it(didn't work), then they said you had to spray a tie coat to paint over it. If  you have to do that much work to use it I decided to just clean it very well and go to regular paint system for less hassle.
For example I coat the lower inside area of the door skins (inside the door)on all cars to stop any embedded rust and protect from any rust bleed later.
If it is cleaned enough there is no need for it and it voids the paint manufactures warrenty even if it is not the problem. But it is very useful for hidden rust prone or hard to clean panels.
Hope all that helps.
Dave
PS GREAT KNOWLEDGE. :lol: Remember I'm just a farmboy.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #211 on: February 17, 2007 - 07:39:25 PM »
Here is a couple of pictures from today. Got the heater box rebuilt , the  Detriot muscle tech gasket kit is great for this job. Rear bumper ,tail lights and some engine comp parts.
Front bumper is a little low though :smilielol:
Dave

Offline moparnocar

« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2007 - 07:42:17 PM »
No problem on the questions but if your going to pick my brain I can tell you it won't take long! :grinno: Not much up there anyway.
After the EPA banned lead PPG reformulated DP epoxy's to DPLF(lead free) The adheasion is not as good as it was before this,still a good product just not like before.Dp had such good bite before the change that if you got it on glass it would stick and be very hard to get off. Using the acid etch(dx 1791) gives it a boost in adhesion.
I don't use any of the rust stop paints on any area that get's finish paint, only on interior panels like inside frames,doors ,drop extensions,ect.
When these products first came out they said you could just paint over it (didn't work),then it was wait until it dried some and paint over it(didn't work), then they said you had to spray a tie coat to paint over it. If  you have to do that much work to use it I decided to just clean it very well and go to regular paint system for less hassle.
For example I coat the lower inside area of the door skins (inside the door)on all cars to stop any embedded rust and protect from any rust bleed later.
If it is cleaned enough there is no need for it and it voids the paint manufactures warrenty even if it is not the problem. But it is very useful for hidden rust prone or hard to clean panels.
Hope all that helps.
Dave
PS GREAT KNOWLEDGE. :lol: Remember I'm just a farmboy.

I apprieciate all your help.. I am going to use zero rust under cowl and hidden areas.. Then I am going to do what u did.. That should get me a great start.. I'm just in the metal work stages right now.. so I have a lot to go.. thanks again.. Jason

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2007 - 08:00:33 PM »
Great progress  :2thumbs: On top of that you answered all of our questions  :icon16: Thats a full day in my book.  :grinyes:

Lunch

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2007 - 08:03:52 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention on the DPLF epoxy is to use the 402 catalyst. It drys better for doing body work over than the 401. 401 is for plastic bumpers and soft parts. I used the 401 on the bumper fillers on the Cuda today.
Dave

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2007 - 08:05:04 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments  :2thumbs: If I can help just let me know.
Dave

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2007 - 08:11:40 PM »
Great progress  :2thumbs: On top of that you answered all of our questions  :icon16: Thats a full day in my book.  :grinyes:

Lunch
I just hope I didn't screw up on the posts, I was between coats painting small parts while I was posting.
Dave

Offline Travis72

« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2007 - 10:19:43 PM »
Dave,

Great posts and great info!!  Awesome work on the Cuda. :2thumbs:

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline moparnocar

« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2007 - 08:06:56 AM »
Hey Dave I see u need a grille...  I have an original one that I hate to sell but need the money... It's been off car and in storage since 86-87.. it does have a hairline crack on drivers side by bezel.. and where the hood latch lever goes threw the piece above it is broken out but I have the piece and fits in there perfect.. Email me if interested and I'll get u pics... I just hate to ship these though... mopar_maniac68 at yahoo.com   Jason

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2007 - 09:01:45 AM »
Dave,
Truly awesome work and replies to us bodywork impaired people! :clueless:
Thanks for answering our questions. Can't wait to see yours all done and complete (which looks to be real soon).

Wes

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2007 - 07:51:42 PM »
What......This things not done yet?...... :poopoke: Just kidding.     :working:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2007 - 05:55:06 AM »
 :22yikes:  I don't check in here for a while and  :22yikes:  I'm surprised to say the least. Great progress, very very nice!  :grinyes:

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2007 - 05:31:10 PM »
Dave ,when you do your body work, do you sand the epoxy off where your doing the work or do you put the filler right on top of the epoxy primer? I didnt think body filler sticks to prime? Might be a stupid question but im sure im not the only one thats curious.  :bigsmile:

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2007 - 07:13:05 PM »
No I just scuff it a little. Just enough to get adhesion (150 grit). I'm using the epoxy to keep the filler from coming in contact with the bare metal to keep it from rusting.
 Dave

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #224 on: February 21, 2007 - 11:34:53 PM »
Dave you said, "I like to scuff sand after cleaning before going to epoxy. This makes me feel better about how clean it is I also wear gloves for this so not to leave sweat or skin oil on the surface. "

What do you use to scuff sand what do you use? Also do you have to reclean the surface to clean and metal dust of the surface before painting?

You also said, "On the interior of the panels(floor pans ,inside doors , inside frame rails,ect) I go with Rust bullit,Zero rust, or POR."

What is your method for applying these coatings inside of the frame rails?

Sorry for making it like presidential debate with the quotes  :lol: Just want to be accurate.

Lunch
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007 - 11:38:18 PM by Lunchbox »