Author Topic: Package deal 73 Cuda  (Read 43795 times)

Offline SilverChally

Re: Package deal 73 Cuda
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2007 - 12:50:54 AM »
You need a new pepsi machine, I'd get sick of looking at Gordon everyday :stomp:  Nice work :cheers:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2007 - 05:52:28 AM »
Truly inspirational!  Mine little project is almost two years in the making and I've yet to start really putting things back together.  Thanks for posting all the pics.  Very good reference material!
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2007 - 06:48:04 AM »
Inspirational for sure!!    You make it look easy Dave.     :2thumbs:     Thanks!!
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2007 - 06:52:56 AM »
You need a new pepsi machine, I'd get sick of looking at Gordon everyday :stomp:  Nice work :cheers:
It's even worse than you think! The first picture is the tool area of the guy installing the stripe. :villagers: BUT the second is my tool area. :grinyes:
Dave
Hey should'nt you be working on your car instead of being online at 2:00AM!

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2007 - 01:14:32 PM »
Farmboy,
Great, great work. Questions:
Do you do your filler work over the epoxy primer or on steel mostly? Also, do you do the POR 15 or Rustbullet before color and let the color overlap inside, or color first and then the POR?

Thanks for all the info and great pics!

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2007 - 02:41:19 PM »
Farmboy,
Great, great work. Questions:
Do you do your filler work over the epoxy primer or on steel mostly? Also, do you do the POR 15 or Rustbullet before color and let the color overlap inside, or color first and then the POR?

Thanks for all the info and great pics!
Epoxy first then filler work.. Body hardener is bensoil piroxide and it aborbs moisture causing rust under the filler that is why I use the epoxy to  seal it from the metal.
Since most of the car is in bare metal up to this point,we then clean /metal etch with DX 579 AND DX 520. After we clean it to remove any rust or staining it is sprayed with the DPLF.
On the POR I only use it on the inner panels (door skins frame rails,floor pans.) I never use it on outer panels that will be  finish painted.POR-15 likes ruff and non scally rust to adhere to. It is difficult to use under final paint products and voids most paint company's warrentys. It is a good rust stopper but not for outer paint work.
Dave

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2007 - 03:22:24 PM »
Dave could you lay out all the products you used for paint and filler with names and codes?

I have been sandblasting my front end for two days now and want to get it protected before it starts to flash rust. I would like to apply the inital expoxy primer myself to protect the areas that I get sandblasted and metal work done. My big problem is the amount of time I can put into the car any given week. By the time I get done blasting just the front end, it will have been over a month of the front end being in bare metal. Makes me think if I will need to reblast it again after the body work then paint? You have answered some of these questions already I just need to put them in a logaical order that will give me a good product in the end. Any other pointers how I should do this with the time frame I am working with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lunch

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2007 - 03:39:55 PM »
I was reading over some old PM's and found this.

"For these panels, acid cleaning and a good acid etch primer followed by a epoxy( PPG DPLF-50) is how I'd go on them."

I was under the understanding that the epoxy went over bare metal and that was your base coat?

Lunch

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2007 - 04:04:35 PM »
If the metal parts have set for a period of time I would clean it with DX-579  cleaner and then go over it with DX-520 conditioner. This is after sanding to remove the grit from the metal.
There are several good metal conditioners and cleaners out there and any will work for this. Dupont has a good cleaner too.
These need a water rinse but we use a wet cloth and quickly dry it.
On the interior of the panels(floor pans ,inside doors , inside frame rails,ect) I go with Rust bullit,Zero rust, or POR. I would do these area first so not to get water on them when doing the outer panel prep.
I like to scuff sand after cleaning before  going to epoxy. This makes me feel better about how clean it is I also wear gloves for this so not to leave sweat or  skin oil on the surface.
Then I would DX 1791 etch prime followed by DPLF- 50 0R 90 it(numbers are just the color).Use the 402 catalyst.
Go to body filler work next. You can reprime with DPLF then or go right to NCP-270  (NCP is a corrosion resistant primer)or K-38, I like the NCP but it is pricey. Fills great and very little shrinking. Both are good products.
After all the blocking/repriming  is done we spray NCP-270 as a sealer to wet sand for final prep(600-800 wet). If at this time you find a area you don't like you can go back and repair and reprime with it as a surfacer or reseal and sand. I like this process because at the final stage if you need to fix something you are not layering different products.
If it looks good, prep for final seal with NCS-2004 and go right to color.
Hint: You can let this dry and wet sand again with 1000 wet and go to color if you don't break thru or need to remove dirt nibs.
At each step it is cleaned with DX 330 AND Dx 394. Both are wax and grease removers but the first is for petrolium contaminates and the other is for organic contaminates.Either product will leave contaminates that the other is designed to remove so use both. DX 330 first then DX394.
If  you have any more questions or I missed some thing in all this let me know.
Dave
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007 - 08:06:48 PM by farmboy70 »

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2007 - 04:06:44 PM »
I was reading over some old PM's and found this.

"For these panels, acid cleaning and a good acid etch primer followed by a epoxy( PPG DPLF-50) is how I'd go on them."

I was under the understanding that the epoxy went over bare metal and that was your base coat?

Lunch
When the EPA cracked done on lead, PPG changed to DPLF(LEAD FREE).To get the adheasion of the old DP they now recommend the etch prime to boost the adheasion.
The etch prime is a very thin product you can even see thru it is just a adheasion promoter.
DAVE
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007 - 04:08:17 PM by farmboy70 »

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2007 - 04:49:21 PM »
So just to clarify.

- Blasting
- Sand
- Clean with DX-579 then DX 520
- DX 1791 etch prime
- DPLF- 50 0R 90 epoxy
- Body filler (glazing or bondo?)

I believe that is as far as I will take it. Then turn it over to a professional.

Lastly are these all PPG products?

Thanks
Lunch

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2007 - 04:54:09 PM »
So just to clarify.

- Blasting
- Sand
- Clean with DX-579 then DX 520
- DX 1791 etch prime
- DPLF- 50 0R 90 epoxy
- Body filler (glazing or bondo?) Both

I believe that is as far as I will take it. Then turn it over to a professional.

Lastly are these all PPG products?

Thanks
Lunch
Both fillers. They are all PPG products.
If you decide to continue let me know if I can help. From that point it is just time and patience to get ready for paint.
Dave

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2007 - 04:57:14 PM »
Thanks again Dave I will have some pics up sunday or monday night of my recent progress.

Lunch

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2007 - 05:26:48 PM »
Sounds great! :2thumbs:

Offline moparnocar

« Reply #209 on: February 17, 2007 - 07:03:52 PM »
Both fillers. They are all PPG products.
If you decide to continue let me know if I can help. From that point it is just time and patience to get ready for paint.
Dave

Dave I gotta say I love the pics and your progress.. It gives me some get up and go.. to work on mine.. I would like to pick your brain a little(pretty easy).. Why etch and then epoxy prime? What's the difference? I've always been told to just epoxy prime bare metal then do the body work.. then spot epoxy then prime.. Would this work or you recomend not? also u used zero rust before?? I just picked some up.. Can u use filler over it? shouold I do the whole underside?? sorry for all the questions. just trying to gain some of your great knowledge.. Jason