Author Topic: AlterKtion Suspension is a Dream!!  (Read 7737 times)

Offline cudabuyer

Re: AlterKtion Suspension is a Dream!!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006 - 05:16:14 AM »
11.75 with polished calipers, drilled slotted rotors, pics will be posted on Monday 11/6
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline Krazed

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006 - 09:08:46 PM »
 :useless:

:bigsmile:
'68 Plymouth Barracuda 340 Formula S

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006 - 04:55:38 PM »
 :iagree:  :popcorn:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006 - 05:53:44 AM »
Listed under "alterktion pics" under Cuda Challengers galore

Offline Grundy

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006 - 02:37:04 PM »
Did you do it with the engine in?? Or out??
Drive it like you stole it.

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006 - 05:33:43 AM »
Engine in, mechanic has some sort of brace bolts to engine rest on inner hood frame holds engine in place - adjustable - allows engine to be raised & lowered - pretty cool :working:

Offline Grundy

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006 - 10:40:56 AM »
It sounds like a definite 2 person job. You think it's jackstand worthy, or do you have to go up on a lift? I've got the whole kit sitting behind me as i type. .. but i want to throw it in over the winter.
Drive it like you stole it.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006 - 09:43:41 AM »
Cuda, the portion that comes out and goes up where the coil over top is located...what does that connect to up there? Or is that ear the only thing? How thick is that material there?

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006 - 05:53:51 PM »
It sounds like a definite 2 person job. You think it's jackstand worthy, or do you have to go up on a lift? I've got the whole kit sitting behind me as i type. .. but i want to throw it in over the winter.

You can do it on jackstands with no problem.  I would suggest you pull the engine first to make things a whole lot easier to install.  I'm one of those people who like to crawl around IN the engine bay while I work.  To give you some idea, I installed mine in about 2 hours with the engine already out.  That included removing the old suspension too.  I have to admit though, it's not the first alterKtion that I have installed either..... :working:
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006 - 12:43:17 PM »
sorry moper, didn't understand the question ???

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006 - 01:10:41 PM »
Cuda, the portion that comes out and goes up where the coil over top is located...what does that connect to up there? Or is that ear the only thing? How thick is that material there?

the shock support is just a bracket welded to the K frame , it doesn`t attach to the body

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ttmott

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006 - 08:01:15 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of my AlterKtion.  I had RMS add the 12.25" discs, PS rack, 1 1/8" sway bar and the QA1 shocks.  I had them ship the motor mounts separate as this project is a twin turbo hemi and the header tubes must route towards the front consequently centering the engine is required.  This has the extended control arms for future addition of an AirRide shock system.  The hubs are about 7/8" further outboard so a non-standard offset wheel is required.

The install is straight forward; the bump stops must be removed.

Offline GMachineDartGT

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2006 - 12:28:55 PM »
Twin Turbo, thats going to be some setup when its done, keep us posted with pics. Are those Wilwoods really enogh brakes for something like that? Last I heard that rotor is narrower than stock, and the dynalite calipers are light duty. Am I mistaken? Looks like you could us an XV stiffening kit though...

Offline ttmott

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2006 - 06:09:44 PM »
Let me tell ya, RMS has been an awesome company to deal with.  Bill Reilly's (the main man at RMS) knowledge regarding front suspension geometry is impressive.  From scrub radius to bump steer to roll center he knew exactly what the answer was.  I gave him what I wanted to do with the project and he had the solution then some.  If he couldn't meet the requirement he was straight up with it.  I was impressed.  Delivery of the system was exactly what we agreed when I did the order.  What more could one ask for???  His system is not the cheapest but simply one of the best and safest.

Regarding the brakes,  I looked at the StopTech and opted for the Wilwoods.  With the system on all 4 and the Hydroboost shouldn't be a problem at all.  What I didn't know, however, was the rear axle bearing mods needed to adapt the Wilwoods.  Lesson learned.

Not to jack this thread but getting the power safely to the ground the under-pinnings are tied from front to back with a parallel 4-link to get it to the ground.  The car, except for wheels, brakes, and two inches lower will look factory original.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2006 - 06:36:53 PM by ttmott »