Would you trade????

Author Topic: Would you trade????  (Read 3676 times)

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
Would you trade????
« on: October 30, 2006 - 07:39:33 AM »
Here's the scenario.. I've been looking to trade my 71 TX9, N96 Cuda for a solid 71 vert.. clone, whatever.

I have had some interesting offers, but nothing realistic in terms of quality trades. I've recently had an interesting offer for a 71 vert less drivtrain. Otherwise, the car is all there, grille, bumpers, interior etc. It's an original 318 barracuda, but now has stamped fenders and has recently had a chrsyler entire floor put in. solid frame, rockers & trunk (pin holes starting) The 1/4's have been replaced. It comes w/ a metal repo shaker hood & trim ring, but no baseplate etc.. What I really like is that the car is a real TX9 / black beaty.. New suspension & 4-wheel disc already installed. I figure I'll drop in a mean 340 stroker..

What he gets is my org black shaker hardtop. 72 block but have all the other paperwork. body #'s match etc. My car was taken down to metal but recently primered for the winter.

I think I'm gonna do it..  Whatcha think about this?? Eager to hear. He's talking about coming up by weeks end to do a straight up trade.

-71fish.. maybe 71topless  lol
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline Triple Black hemi

Re: Would you trade????
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006 - 09:53:36 AM »
The car being a TX9 71 barracuda is super cool.  Did you have a color in mind for the vert?  If you were going to go black....this would be the car for you.....what is the chance of that happening?  Good luck and keep us updated on the details.

Partial to TX9   :cheers:

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006 - 10:06:45 AM »
I say; go for it  :2thumbs:
 :useless:

- Jørgen - Norwegian Mopar fanatic

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 383 A833 8-3/4 3.23 suregrip
http://cuda.widing.biz/

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006 - 10:15:45 AM »

If that's what your heart desires then go for it.
I myself am not a big fan of rag tops, to me, nothing screams MUSCLE CAR more than a hardtop.

:2cents: :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006 - 10:43:14 AM »
He's supposed to send some pics 2night of the car together. Engine bay & interior ready for paint. The exterior body will prob need no more than mine will to paint. The barracuda vert is a 318 car (less the drivetrain). he's got a fender tag and buildsheet & it's a real TX9 car.. OH yea!! it will be painted black.. if this happens.

Sure this may put me behind the 8 ball for a couple more years.. but I'm looking at the end product. This is the only trade I would make.. I'd keep mine over a hemi clone hardtop, but a 71 black vert.. is sure sweet. Since it would be my own personal clone, I don't mind doing what I want.. 340 stroker, 4-spd, black billboards etc.. I did not want to go that route w/ mine because it's an org shaker car.

Now the title is still signed by the guy he bought the car from (who lived in PA). Will this pose and problems w/ a title transfer??

Well, I hope this happens soon if it does. On the other hand, it's a great situation to have to "settle" w/ a black shaker cuda if it doesn't go through..lol  If this doesn't happen. No more trades

-71fish

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006 - 11:32:38 AM »
71Fish, if that's what you truly want to do, then I'd say go for it!  I think a black droptop would be very cool!!! :drool: :cheers: :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006 - 01:51:19 PM »
I disagree, I would say that you are better off hanging on to the hardtop in the long run. While the vert is nice and all, like NZ said, the hardtop screams muscle car... and its a genuine original, not a clone.

But, your car - do as you see fit.

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006 - 01:58:29 PM »
I disagree, I would say that you are better off hanging on to the hardtop in the long run. While the vert is nice and all, like NZ said, the hardtop screams muscle car... and its a genuine original, not a clone.

But, your car - do as you see fit.

I agree, I know on one hand you have to follow your heart, however, give it ALOT of thought.   I know verts are worth good money.   What is your car worth, add in the labor and expense to finish off the vert, what are you real world into it for?   Personally, I would keep what you have.   You know your car, IF you do trade, look the vert over VERY WELL !!!

Offline Choppintime

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006 - 02:31:48 PM »
I'd agree with the last two posts. Not sure if I'd trade away a real BS N96 Cuda in TX9 for a 318 convertible Barracuda. A convertible is a beautiful thing to have but a real 71 Shaker Cuda is just as nice in my mind. 

Personally I'd keep searching.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006 - 02:35:20 PM »
I've had 4 or 5 e body verts. And from experience I know 1 true fact. You can't rod them hard all the time. They come apart. The tops turn into the jetsons bubble top and if you put a big engine in there or a high out put small block, they crack in half when they hook. I did it 3 times before. Noisy windy it just wasnt me. Nothing is better then a hardtop for hot rodding IMO. You notice that every vert you find has been fixed one way ort another do to rot, rust and what not? They leaked for everyone else, and they will leak on you to in the years ahead.  You mentioned 340 stroker, yer pegged as a muscle car hot rodder now in my eyes.  You will not enjoy the vert after a couple of months goes by. And N96? Eh ok, even with out the n96 option, the hard top is funner. The N96 limits intakes to run too. The one thing I see in your favor is lots of people want a vert. So you could get it, play with it, grow tired of the rattle trap and sell it before the rust comes back. :banghead:

Offline djr71

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006 - 02:45:21 PM »
You have to do what makes you happy but I have to agree I would rather have a hardtop shaker hood car. Just my opinion.

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006 - 04:02:11 PM »
My vote is also to keep the N96 hardtop - softops will always look rough with the roof up, especially after the top ages a bit, and you will lose the classic lines of the hardtop roof as it flows into the trunk.  I've had 2 soft-top Triumph Stags and soft-top Wrangler and hardly ever put the roof down for one reason or another (time, changeable weather, sunburn) - putting the hardtop back on was always a relief, both for road-noise and security.
'70 Barracuda

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006 - 04:11:00 PM »
I think you have to consider what you plan to do with the car? If you are into crusin and just an occasional street run, then nothing beats top down cruisin. But if you are into serious performance, plan on taking it down the quarterquite a bit, stay with the hardtop.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006 - 04:28:30 PM »
I think both are awesome cars but would not do the trade.  If anything I would sell the shaker car outright and hunt down a vert.  You would most likely end up with a more complete vert for the money. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006 - 06:01:37 PM »
Wow, u guys don't make it easy.. lol What sucs is I agree with both sides. Hardtop cudas look the meanest, HANDS DOWN, but a black billboard vert w/ a 340 stroker..

..kinda pretty cool too.   :stirpot: