Author Topic: Help me settle a dispute...  (Read 4123 times)

Offline gcone

Help me settle a dispute...
« on: November 01, 2006 - 07:00:10 PM »
...a friendly one, I might add.  I own the 71 HemiCuda Clone to the left in partnership with my brother.   We have no intention on selling it anytime in the near future, but after a few powerful brew-hah's last weekend we got talking about what it may be worth, etc/blah-blah and how many 69 RR's or 70 Chally's could we trade it for!!lol.

It came as a GranCoupe auto w/ac, and now has a 1971 426 block, aluminum heads and headers.  A complete, funtional ARGENT shaker sits on top of the dual-quads.  The 883 sits in a box since I installed a Tremec 5spd last year.  The DANA 60 houses 3.54 gears.  The bodywork is astounding for a 1998 frame-on resto, as is the interior.  I did replace the starter, steering gearbox, poly bushings, all front end components and added sway bars. I added the 18 and 20" Coddingtons this year, and installed 3500.00 worth of Diamond and JL Audio equipment.

In short, this car is easily a 90-92 out of 100 from a show standpoint.  We both agree that is it were numbers matching, it would bring between 350-400K.  So what do you guys think this clone would be worth...Brother thinks 150-175k-I think more like 110-135K...any thoughts? Thanks for your feedback (the loser here has to buy the next case of Bud!!!)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006 - 07:03:21 PM by gcone »
71 Tored Plymouth Hemi Cuda Rec.
69 Hemi Orange Dodge Charger RT
70 Calypso Coral Ford BOSS 302 Rec.
71 Bright Red Dodge Demon 340
70 Red Chevrolet Chevelle SS Convertible (L78)
05 Black C6 Vette Convertible
07 Black Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Convertible
07 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
08 Black Dodge Challenger...on order@12/04/07

Offline pink panther

• Resident
Re: Help me settle a dispute...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006 - 07:36:44 PM »
It is worth what someone will pay for it, ( I know that answer sucks, but is true)  The 71 is the most desired cuda out there and also the hardest one to obtain, so it is worth quite a bit without being a hemi clone. I don't think 150K is out of the question by any means, as I said it is up to the person buying it though.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006 - 07:38:23 PM »
Now, instead of a poll on here with people that dont have that kind of money, the best way to try and settle it to me, would be to list it on ebay with a reserve and no buy now and see how high it goes. Then you would get actual true bids on it if yer partner doesnt catch a buzz and do some shill bidding. Then it's tequila for everyone  eyeyeyeyeyeye. :2thumbs:

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006 - 08:13:44 PM »
IMO it is worth the value of the Grand Coupe + the value of the Hemi motor conversion + the labor cost to put it together. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006 - 08:19:56 PM by Challenger6pak »
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006 - 08:54:43 PM »
id say 100k is pushing it.  with recent prices id say 85-90k  you can pick up a convertible clone for 110k why would they pay more for a ht clone.   change the rims and yank out the audio crap and maybe 105K
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006 - 09:55:16 PM »
 :iagree:

In todays market.... 100K is going to be the roof.  It's kinda nice to see the prices coming back down.  Maybe now we can weed out the people who are in the hobby for the money.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline gcone

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006 - 04:36:48 PM »
Some interesting opinions...

I (we) bought tha car 3 yrs ago before the "boom" and have a little over 72,500.00 in the car (not counting our 'post resto' labor).  As a dealer/broker, I have owned and placed 14 Hemi cars in the past 6 years.  Having an understanding of the demand and value for hemi cars, we decided we wanted a 426 E-body for a driver-but it had to be nice.  That's the beauty of clones...if you find a craftsman who can do or has done quality work, the same expirience is to be had for a fraction of the cost-and generally remains a solid investment. I have a 69 Charger RT, 71 Demon, 70 BOSS 302, 67 Camaro RS/SS and a 70 Chevelle SS-all except the Chevelle are clones. Why?  Cuz I love to drive them. I am not saying one should not drive a rare, numbers-matching origional car, I simply do not want to spend an exhorbant amount of money when something more moderate will do.

Speaking of investments: CODY, you make a great point.  Unfortunately, I do not think we can win over capitalism as long as there are people willing to spend the 250k+ and not even blink an eye. I do not feel, however, that prices for highly maintained and crediblely restored cars with 426, 440-6, 440-4 or LS6454's are likely to drop in value...unlike what we have seen with Mustangs and Gen 1 Camaros.

1973Chally360:  you may be right on your values...yet I have yet to run across a hemi stick ragtop that has had a frame off for 100kand yes I could "change the rims" and "yank out the audio crap" (the ralleys are in the rack, as it the AM radio) but man ??? gimme a break, will ya?   :dunno:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006 - 04:40:32 PM by gcone »
71 Tored Plymouth Hemi Cuda Rec.
69 Hemi Orange Dodge Charger RT
70 Calypso Coral Ford BOSS 302 Rec.
71 Bright Red Dodge Demon 340
70 Red Chevrolet Chevelle SS Convertible (L78)
05 Black C6 Vette Convertible
07 Black Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Convertible
07 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
08 Black Dodge Challenger...on order@12/04/07

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006 - 06:06:34 PM »
It's just all opinions.  All of them are different; just like the opinions of your buyers will be different.  I like the wheels myself.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006 - 08:08:05 PM »
Challenger6pak is right... they are just opinions.

As for me, you couldn't give me that car, I'm telling you the truth.... I SWEAR!  Go ahead and just try!  :naughty:

Of coarse I'm just kidding with ya.  The 71 Cuda's have always been one of my favorites.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006 - 11:10:32 AM »
not hard to put more money in a car than you will ever be likely to see out of it...if you have the money to spare.

But in that case you likely did it for yourself, not to sell.
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006 - 12:44:37 PM »
110k if it's a vert clone. If it's a hardtop.. (vinyl roof lowers it imo) 75k if it's gorgeous. The fact is.. there are many clones now with all the repop parts available. ONLY real deals, bring big bucks now.

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006 - 03:29:08 PM »
Looks like a nice car.   Any more pictures?   I doubt 71fish's answer isn't what you guys are expecting to hear, but I think he is pretty close.    Allowing 30k for the drivetrain in your car, is the car as a roller worth 80 k plus??? 

Before you think I am just another guy beating up the car out of jealousy, I think my car is worth probably 60k.

It is a real TX9 BS 71 Cuda, all factory panels/trunk, done top and bottom.   Shaker/OEM louvers added.   460 horse small block, 5 speed, B body Dana.   Absolutely everything mechanical/wear is new.  Added PS and Disc brakes.   Correct rallye cluster with near mint all original leather interior including correct door panels.  Restored rimblow.   All chrome/stainless/anodized is new/restored.   

I think your brother is buying the next round  :2cents:

Offline Choppintime

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006 - 06:11:25 PM »
I'd have to agree with 71fish and N9671x2. Maybe the car might be worth a bit more if it was a real Cuda ? I agree the market has been flooded with these clones lately. Your car looks incredible, not trying to knock it at all. I'd love to see more pictures.

I have a real Bs 71 Cuda that was originally a 340/4 speed car. Two fender tag car that took a turn to modified in the 80's. Hasn't seen the road since 1977. Hope to have it out in the spring of '07. Be 30 years since it hit blacktop.

Anyway, being a real Cuda four speed with a ton of options I'd have to say the car as it sits with the numbers motor has to be worth 40K or thereabouts even with the wild paint. The body panels/pans, etc. are incredible. Everything is or will be new/done to pretty nice quality. That being said it will hit the streets with a John Arruzza 511 Hemi, Keisler five speed and an orginal '70 vintage E body Dana.

What's it worth with the drivetrain ? I didn't finish this car up as a clone as it's not cloned to be a Hemi Cuda. My thought was that is was so wild looking it deserved to be just as wild in the engine/drivetrain area. I didn't do it to sell it but man I hope I didn't go head over heels into the car. I'd hope I could get at least 75k for it but I know I'd have to find the 'right' buyer for it if and when I ever sell it. The 'right' buyer will need to be loaded either with cash or a lot of liquor in them ( both would be beneficial ) or maybe a Latin guy will just have to have this car. It's been dubbed the LSD Cuda but could probably do just as well during a Cinco de Mayo parade  :grinno:

Enough of the long winded post.......I'd have to think your car is around 70K, not trying to beat it up at all just an opinion

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006 - 07:27:22 PM »
I sold this 472 4 speed hemicuda clone for 58K last year. Ran great, needed a lite resto.

Sold my 70 Hemicuda clone...69 426, 5 speed 4.10 dana, completely restored car needing MINOR finishing for around 75K in August of this year. Car was the straightest black car I've ever seen.

Like others have said...a  very nice ragtop clone will bring over 100K....not a hardtop.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006 - 11:22:38 PM »
I'd have to agree with 71fish and N9671x2. Maybe the car might be worth a bit more if it was a real Cuda ? I agree the market has been flooded with these clones lately. Your car looks incredible, not trying to knock it at all. I'd love to see more pictures.

I have a real Bs 71 Cuda that was originally a 340/4 speed car. Two fender tag car that took a turn to modified in the 80's. Hasn't seen the road since 1977. Hope to have it out in the spring of '07. Be 30 years since it hit blacktop.

Anyway, being a real Cuda four speed with a ton of options I'd have to say the car as it sits with the numbers motor has to be worth 40K or thereabouts even with the wild paint. The body panels/pans, etc. are incredible. Everything is or will be new/done to pretty nice quality. That being said it will hit the streets with a John Arruzza 511 Hemi, Keisler five speed and an orginal '70 vintage E body Dana.

It's been dubbed the LSD Cuda but could probably do just as well during a Cinco de Mayo parade  :grinno:

Choppin' Personally I think that custom paint job looks cool, but it's funny how these days they aren't considered "in" on cars....Harleys are a differnent story for some reason.

Sorry Gcone for gettin' off the subject...just enjoy the car and don't worry about what it's worth.
I hope mine doesn't have to be trailered around...it'll mean it's not running.
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California