Are e body prices mis leading?

Author Topic: Are e body prices mis leading?  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Are e body prices mis leading?
« on: November 02, 2006 - 01:48:52 PM »
I just see all the posts that have been made recently.
And the recent post here I just viewed with the half dozen cars in one add but were way over priced so the members claimed.
Some show sold for 10k and then forsale for 10k but even tho I cant really see the difference in pictures. I read they been on drugs or something and then man you got a good deal.
I am missing something I dont understand.
Is there a waiting list for E bodies on this site?  Like a bunch of members are looking for one exact car of some sort?
I cant seem to say what I'm trying to say either.
 A basic E body solid shells value is worth around 8-1500 if it's not an hp version Right?
and also meaning like 72 74. The 70-71's would be about dbl?
Then If its a hp code it goes up and with specific options it goes up right?

Here's a curious example

74 challenger  black, 99% rust free, 68 440 hp fresh engine, new front end, new radiator core, 15x7 rallyes and ta radials,new dashpad, new seat cover in rear, complete 70 hp exhaust system new install, a/c not working, needing carpeting front seats recovered, and final paint...10k

70 Barracuda, fc7 inviolet, zero rust, M46 option very few exist, Rallye package, original 4 spd car no rust, standard steering standard disc brakes, was 318 now with 440-6 69 hp block out of GTX .030 bore. factory 355 8 3/4  needs finishing and bumpers. Perfect grill factory 6 way. Original panels ,floors,trunk. All fresh bc clear coat 10k

Both being 318 cars, one complete and one incomplete. Which would you prefer?
One is a drive now 410 gear auto
one is a stick 355
both 440 engines the bodies are about the same condition just drive now or fix n drive.
Which would you prefer and why?

I just see some members asking how much for a bunch of cars like they are wanting that one certain deal. I am having a hard time trying to see why.
If I said drive home my 74 challenger for 10k but it's got 410's in it so stay under 3k rpm's  are there people here to jump on that or am I just seeing tire kickers all over the place I guess is another question

One person said they were trying to get a loan to buiy a car. They give loans for old cars like ours?
I could not see going into debt for a hobby.
I'm just a bit unsure about some of the things I'm seeing is all. I'd like to read some feed back on my comments from as many here as possible so I can understand a bit more. Like if there is an age barrier that has limits/wants/afford.

I'm in it for the hobby. Since 1967 driving mopar muscle. Cars were 200 bucks each or less. A bodies were thrown away after 40k miles cause they were broke. C bodies were for families then dog houses and parts.
Where are we at in the e body era now adays?

I see a 5000 dollar car and others see it at 50,000. Peoples age seems to play a role in the buying and selling along with option codes.
Here's another car of mine untill recently. All original panels new trunk floor, half front pass flr pan. I added the wing stripe rallyes and road lamps it is a factory color but a 318 car with quarter scoops. I paid 2k for this car and spent another 3k on it. It is a 318 car. How does a person price this?  these are just examples. My hobby stuff. I dont play used car salesman. I am not a proffessional restorer type of guy, I just know how to fix them from working on them for 35 years is all. Help me out here people I'm a bit confused and overwelmed at what I see today in real life. Maybe I need to come down out of the country and see the city light for a while I guess.

Offline matt63

Re: Are e body prices mis leading?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006 - 02:04:07 PM »
Will you take $5K for your car then?   :money:Prices have gone up and like one member said, nobody wants to sell their car for less than market value.  If you're not buying or selling then it really doesn't matter.  If you are then you need to check auction results, get an appraisal, etc. to find out the market prices and yes, options will make a big difference.  I don't think that Ebay is a vey good gauge either.

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006 - 02:08:23 PM »
I guess you missed my point. Just curious , what's yer age?  And it's a comparison if you read it right. And the age of the people who price them. I know ebay and have heard the yadda yadda about the 5k thing yer sayin. Nothing about a resale in this post. A side by side value and such I dont need an apraisal here.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006 - 02:10:30 PM »
OIC yer in yer 40's but from a different land in the north american continent :bigsmile:

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006 - 02:26:42 PM »
I'll take a stab at this one.....Mopars have build sheets, fender tags, vin #s, cowl #'s etc. They are highly documented. SOME people want the perfecr mopar. Rare hemi ( 1 of 14 etc)convert or 440-6 cuda. They only made a limited number of challengers or cudas. Anyone can get a camaro or mustang, they made hundreds of thousands of them.Unfortuneataly SOME Mopar guys look down on cars that ADD a 440 or hemi or ...... The value of a 340 72-73 Cuda is a lot lower thatn a 70 or 71.  Same with Challengers. Some don't like the 72-74 grill on the Challenger. Only big blocks were available in 70-71 so SOME think it is sacrilidge to put a big block in a 72-74. I have a 318 Challenger. You tell people it is a 318 and they moan. A 340 engine is thousands of dollars. People are giving away 318's on moparts for free, others are very cheap. Not much difference, same stroke, different crank, heads, cam. I will tell you that  a numbers matching big block will get huge dollars over a big block clone. Why. Many people talk of anal E body people. I come to this board and have had nothing but help, laughs and information. A cars value is what someone will pay for it. Right now people want rare numbers matching 340, 440, and 426 hemis and are paying way too much for them. The prices of the OTHER e bodies is rising in turn. We all remember paying hundreds of dollars for an old cuda or challenger. Those days are just a memory . Too bad :bigsmile:

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006 - 02:32:16 PM »
I think you're too old...Or feel that way anyway.. :bigsmile: jk..

The value of a car is set not by the seller, but for what someone..anyone..will pay for it. What has driven up the costs in the past 12-15 years, IMO, is guys that were/are new to the hobby, and dont recall what the cars "used to sell for". I'm 36. My first car at 16 was a '71 Barracuda. I bought it for $1500, and I had several newly found Mopar crazy friends tell me I got raped, because the car was only worth under a grand. I was ecstatic the car was mine, so the deal was fine for me. Fast forward. That same car has been sold by me for $2800 as a basketcase. (a true deinition in the northeast) A good friend bought it, put about $25K of his swaet and new parts, etc. I value the car at $30K. because it would sell tomorrow for that. It's currently for sale, for twice that. I was told "dont wory, it wont sell..I'm on a fishing expedition". Well, why would you try if you didnt want to sell it? I know what is done, what is really new and what looks new, and where things were done by lessor standards than "industry accepted". So what is the car worth? I bought my '70 big block car for $1500 in '93. I drove it daily for two years, after putting in a 6bbl 440. It's more of a race car now, and when I had advertised it (I was hurting for $$) a fellow wanted to drive it 600 miles home. So again..What is the car worth? The cars you mention. Around here, depending on what they looked like, are worth more than what they are selling for. I cant afford to buy anything now anyway, but if I was selling them, I'd be very firm on that number. I wouldnt ever own a pink cuda or challenger. I really think they are ugly in that color. But a guy salivating over a "low production" car would love it. If he was new to the hobby, and it was on ebag, the selling price would be much higher I'd wager. Honestly, I think the market for clones, or engine swap cars is tumbling. Real cars, done by reputable shops, will always only go up. But as the stock market goes up, and interest rates with it, the cars will get sold, driving the prices down. :money: :money: I think too many guys now make these cars thier income too.

Offline Robb

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006 - 02:37:05 PM »
the "Sell It Now" price on ebay is a terrible gauge, but the "last highest bid" (over or under reserve) is really a pretty good gauge.  Its really what somebody is truly willing to pay (with very minor exceptions)  

Its the biggest market place, lots of sellers and buyers both, so its not a restricted market.

Its all driven by Supply and Demand("wants" and "needs" are not too far from each other at purchase time).

Its not that hard ?     :dunno:

and even if you are in it ""just for the hobby"" , you still have to know what the market rate is for your car for insurance purposes, estate sale purposes (if you kick the bucket, dont want your kids selling your car for 500$ so they can pay next months rent, rather than a downpayment on owning a house, example), and probably most importantly the price of spare parts, (which follows the vehicles total prices as well)

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline ChallengerDays

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006 - 02:56:31 PM »
Moparal,
I think you already answered your question. Age does have a lot to do with it. It’s called nostalgia along with supply and demand. I believe the majority of E-body owners are in their forties and fifties. These are the people that grew up driving muscle cars such as Challengers and Cudas. Once they got older and married, their priorities changed and so did their choice of automobiles. Now that these baby boomers are empty nesters and have much better paying jobs, they’re all looking back at the days when they were in their teens and wishing they had their youth back. I think you can relate to that, can’t you? It’s like listening to an old song you loved to listen to when you were a teen. Listening to it brings back old memories and makes you feel good. Now, put yourself in that nice Cuda you have, close your eyes, and play that song. Wow…what a rush. It’s almost like going back in time. Now, take that thought and times it by ten thousand, minus the amount of Mopars left in this world. There you go…my theory of supply and demand when it comes to muscle cars. That’s only my opinion. I also think that cable television, the internet, and investors play a key role as well.
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006 - 02:58:41 PM by ChallengerDays »

Offline matt63

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006 - 03:07:19 PM »
OIC yer in yer 40's but from a different land in the north american continent :bigsmile:
Yeah.  We don't have to go to Iraq if we flunk out. :icon16:
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006 - 03:48:54 PM »
well, believe it or not, this is helping me out reading this.  And I know lots of people chase a #'s match car or as said a 340 over a 318, but why is it that even tho if there were a dozen 318 cars in a row, that the values change so much when it shouldnt really matter. Thats a bit of what I'm trying to say. Are people just seperating add ons into groups like the luxury things installed?  If all the 318's were missing and engines werent involved and it was in the same year group. A certain color would be more expensive? A certain interior option like recorder?  Or even an am 8 track if that was the only difference and no #'s matching, would that particular item raise a value over the rest when it could just be installed anyways?  2 bright red cudas, 72 models, 1 with console and 8 track the other with bench and fm. Would the console car raise a value of like 1k more if engines and trans were missing? Or would they both be a 3k car with just a different option?  Or kinda like the thought I just had. And I think was said a minute ago. It's worth the value of the person looking at it at the time. Nothing more or less? Right? Like me seeing 5k and someone else seeing 20k to purchase? So there really is no set market value other then a median of some sort when it comes to just a regular muscle car right? So the yellow car in the picture could bring 5k to someone or 10k to someone else. Just because of the value it means to that one certain person .  Kinda like used cars of today then HUH?  Like thats a piece of crap yuk! not me and the next guy said, look at this bargain I got.

So can anybody put a standard on the standard  e bodies we drive like an average of todays?
I guess I never really realized that I am a car rich poor man maybe  :roflsmiley:
with 7 or 8 e bodies I could sell them and buy a house and take a vacation today or just play with them and have fun. I choose to have fun. Let me know if my thinking is getting up to par. A guy came over last week and talked me down from 250 bucks to a hundred for a 340 duster 4 spd trans with the shifter hooked up and the bellhousing. I thought it was a good ole deal at 250, but he said I was high, since he didnt know anything about the trans.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006 - 03:51:20 PM »
Yeah.  We don't have to go to Iraq if we flunk out. :icon16:

yer so funny Matt, I like that :2thumbs:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006 - 03:57:03 PM »
Moparal,
I think you already answered your question. Age does have a lot to do with it. It’s called nostalgia along with supply and demand. I believe the majority of E-body owners are in their forties and fifties. These are the people that grew up driving muscle cars such as Challengers and Cudas. Once they got older and married, their priorities changed and so did their choice of automobiles. Now that these baby boomers are empty nesters and have much better paying jobs, they’re all looking back at the days when they were in their teens and wishing they had their youth back. I think you can relate to that, can’t you? It’s like listening to an old song you loved to listen to when you were a teen. Listening to it brings back old memories and makes you feel good. Now, put yourself in that nice Cuda you have, close your eyes, and play that song. Wow…what a rush. It’s almost like going back in time. Now, take that thought and times it by ten thousand, minus the amount of Mopars left in this world. There you go…my theory of supply and demand when it comes to muscle cars. That’s only my opinion. I also think that cable television, the internet, and investors play a key role as well.
 :cheers:

Yeah I admitt. My radio does stay on the 50's 60's and 70's. But I have never been without my cars since youth. I have owned a lot and never had to venture out to purchase. Does that mean I never grew up? Wow this thing with me being a leap year baby has it's benefits.  So in reality terms, If I decide to sell a car I have, don't give it away. And people will pay exactly what they think it's worth no matter what the price is posted. Kinda like trolling and waiting to reel em in. I am going out in the shop and play in a bit. Maybe rub the fender like a magic lamp and grin sayin, I am the lucky one here, so enjoy, but insure it for all I can :2thumbs:

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006 - 04:34:47 PM »
I'd buy the Barracuda for 10K?

Tom

I used to have something like it(condition wise) 10 yrs ago and sold it for 1500 bucks!
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006 - 05:10:23 PM »

The 74 Challenger vs the 70 Barracuda is simply, the Cuda is a more desirable year.
It's always different, same car same price same options yet one was restored correctly one was "restored".

Cars are worth what the buyers are willing to pay and nothing is set in concrete.

:2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006 - 05:41:12 PM »
I think anyone looking to sell his/her mopar now is the best time I have seen for E-bodies. If I had multiple cars done I think I would consider selling one, especially if I knew where some good projects were. I do agree though that with the big auctions and ebay we are seeing prices inflating at a horrible or wonderful rate, depending on how you look at it. I think the price inflation is killing the true mopar people, the ones who want to drive and enjoy and fix them but I can certainly see the other sides point too.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*