Are e body prices mis leading?

Author Topic: Are e body prices mis leading?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Are e body prices mis leading?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006 - 07:11:19 PM »
Doesn't it seem like a challenger would be worth more since that e body was only made for 5 yrs compared to the barracuda?  So most would try to buy my 70 barracuda over the 74 challenger then?  Maybe from a resale value, but I seem to think that some might not care about the year but the looks. Like the younger aged people maybe. At any rate, I am very pleased with my cars and feel lucky and furtunate that I have both Dodge and Plymouth. I enjoy them both. But in the back of my mind I feel the Challenger rides better over the bumps and dips.  I bought my 72 cuda that is now my race car back when I had a choice of it or a 70 grand coupe. I didn't like the interior of the 70. It may or may not be worth more today then my 72 cuda in todays world. But I have had 2 decades and then some worth of fun with my 72.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006 - 07:39:34 PM »
Most people I know would take a 70 'Cuda long before a 74 Challenger, including me. You have to remember that Challengers outsold the new E-body 'Cuda so they are more rare. The pre-70 Barracuda really does not factor in because it was an A-body, at least thats how I see it.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006 - 07:52:07 PM »
Moparal,
I think you already answered your question. Age does have a lot to do with it. It’s called nostalgia along with supply and demand. I believe the majority of E-body owners are in their forties and fifties. These are the people that grew up driving muscle cars such as Challengers and Cudas. Once they got older and married, their priorities changed and so did their choice of automobiles. Now that these baby boomers are empty nesters and have much better paying jobs, they’re all looking back at the days when they were in their teens and wishing they had their youth back. I think you can relate to that, can’t you? It’s like listening to an old song you loved to listen to when you were a teen. Listening to it brings back old memories and makes you feel good. Now, put yourself in that nice Cuda you have, close your eyes, and play that song. Wow…what a rush. It’s almost like going back in time. Now, take that thought and times it by ten thousand, minus the amount of Mopars left in this world. There you go…my theory of supply and demand when it comes to muscle cars. That’s only my opinion. I also think that cable television, the internet, and investors play a key role as well.
 :cheers:

:iagree:  When I went to a car show last month a guy that had a '70 Hemi Cuda and his wife had a '67 Shelby GT 500 Mustang told me it's mostly because of the baby boomers.  They want to relive a fun time in thier past and now some of thier money is freed up when the mortgage is paid up, kids are out of the house, and they have a little extra free cash to play with. 

ChallengerDays had the right word for it- Nostalgia.  Some of the people on our site have cars similar to ones they know from the past.

The Baby Boomers...  this I feel is where the majority of the reason why the value is up for one of these cars.  They didn't sell many campared to the Camaros and Mustangs back then and when people want one of these cars, they are harder to find in good shape so the price is driven up.  I would guess that the majority of the buyers of these cars at Barrette-Jackson are Baby Boomers.  The afore mentioned couple said that when the Baby Boomers move out of this phase then the prices may relax a bit as the demand won't be as great, just because the Baby Boomers make up a large section of the population.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Robb

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006 - 09:21:48 PM »
ACTUALLY....    a car is worth beyone just what somebody is willing to pay for it.

its also worth what somebody is willing to sell it for.    (else, there's no sale)    ;)

5000 to you and 10000 to someone else doesnt mean squat, if the seller is (and can be) holding out for 14500   

smart people also realise, when a car is for sale, and the individual parts are worth more than the car as a unit.    My Challenger is that way.  As a factory SE 383 L code car it barely brings more as a whole unit than a 318 car.    If dismantled my car and sold it in pieces (heavily optioned), Id get more money that way today than as a complete unit.   

Its all in the analysis of input vs output

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006 - 11:53:40 PM »
as a relative newcomer to Ebody ownership...one thing stands out to me.
It amazes me how given the choice most people would prefer (and pay a premium for) a former wrecked rusted hulk that has been resurrected by Bubba ( :worshippy Bubba) that has matching #'s, over a comparably equipped soild original car without documentation. :clueless:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline BARACDA

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006 - 12:00:02 AM »
I have to admit I am still working on how the prices are misleading.  I dont get the premise of the post... but I AM trying!! Be patient with me, explain... :bigsmile:

Offline ChallengerDays

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006 - 08:37:32 AM »
Robb, I have a coffee cup sitting next to me. It’s a nice cup with a Hemi cuda on it. I want a thousand dollars for it. Does that make my coffee cup worth a thousand dollars just because that’s what I personally want for it? :dunno:
It’s only worth a thousand dollars when someone is willing to pay that amount, not the other way around. Want and Worth are two separate values. Not one in the same. :2cents:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006 - 08:50:44 AM »
Robb, I have a coffee cup sitting next to me. It’s a nice cup with a Hemi cuda on it. I want a thousand dollars for it. Does that make my coffee cup worth a thousand dollars just because that’s what I personally want for it? :dunno:
It’s only worth a thousand dollars when someone is willing to pay that amount, not the other way around. Want and Worth are two separate values. Not one in the same. :2cents:

That's really kinda what I learned in this post. It doesnt really matter the year to some extent. It's what the person wants to give is the end of the story. If both sides are happy, then that is the exact worth at the time. So some pay more and some pay less

Offline ChallengerDays

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006 - 08:54:16 AM »
 :iagree: :clapping: :cheers:

Offline Robb

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2006 - 08:58:46 AM »

It is,  to you, if you wont give up your coffee cup to a legitimate buyer for $999, if someone offered it to you for the cup.

An object is worth what it is, when the TRANSACTION occurs. 

If I offer you a nickle for the cup, does that make your cup worth a nickle ? 

One thing to additionaly consider is competition/substitution.

If you had the only HEMI cup, its different than if there is 1000 of them on sale on eBay and at every Walgreens checkout lines. 

There are enough e bodies on eBay and in Hemmings in a variety of conditions, that if you really wanted one, you could have one in few days or so.   They are rare, but not unobtainable.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006 - 09:08:17 AM by Robb »

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline ChallengerDays

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006 - 09:20:55 AM »
Yes, you’re right. It’s worth a thousand dollars to me and only me. But that doesn’t make the value of my cup a thousand dollars. The value would only be worth a nickel if you were the only one who offered me something for it at the time.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006 - 02:49:49 PM by ChallengerDays »

Offline matt63

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2006 - 09:45:17 AM »
Yes, you’re right. It’s worth a thousand dollars to me and only me. But that doesn’t make the value of my cup a thousand dollars. The value would only be worth a nickel if you were the only one who offered me something for it at the time.
 :horse:
I'd bet you would take $500 for the cup.   :money:  So may be it's worth what you would take for it and not what you would like for it.  Just a thought.  Interesting discussions!
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline ChallengerDays

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2006 - 10:00:53 AM »
Sold!  :bigsmile: And I won’t charge you for shipping.  :woohoo:

Offline dragfish

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2006 - 02:28:12 PM »
I have several Ebody's 1 I've had for 20+ yrs.Basically it's supply and demand low supply high demand.Production of Ebodies is roughly 220,000 units all 5yrs of production.They made more Camaro's in 67 than all ebody production.I'm a boomer pushing 50yrs old and I just enjoy muscle cars and had fun owning all makes.I love Cuda's and 67 Belvedere's(I have one also).Chase your dreams or buy something else and trade up to a car you want.Like one guy said there rare but obtainable.

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2006 - 02:39:55 PM »
I agree with most people when they say something is valued at what someone is willing to pay for it.  I play billiards and have for 15 years.  I bought a stick almost 10 years ago that I play with every night.  It's # 29 f 50 made, date stamped and signed by the maker.  I bought it for $1500 and thought it may rise in price.  I have never looked into how much it is worth, but I can guarantee you that it's probably not worth the $1500 I spent on it.  BUT, if there is someone out there who collects them or falls in love with my cue (like many of us do with e-bodies), then it could be worth 10k if they are willing to pay that much.  Does that mean that they got ripped off?  No.  it's like I pointed out in another thread when someone told me I paid too much for my 'Cuda; It's not the deal you got, it's the deal you think[/] you got, and that's all that matters to both the buyer and the seller.  :bigsmile:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0