Need help Choosing Color

Author Topic: Need help Choosing Color  (Read 5938 times)

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
Need help Choosing Color
« on: November 02, 2006 - 03:57:19 PM »
Okay gang, here's the deal.  I've got a pretty much rust free 1970 Challenger that I am going to need to build & sell.  It is a 318 car that I will be dropping a rebuilt 440 in and making into an R/T "clone."  The original color is FK5 Burnt Orange with Burnt Orange Interior.  If I were able to keep it, I'd be painting it original and keeping the interior burnt orange as well.  However, because I really hate having any debts, I've decided that I need to build the car and sell it.  Any idea what color I should make the car to maximize my return on investment.  I know some of you out there hate "flippers" but that is not what I am doing.  I am going to pretty much restore the car and then sell it to someone that cannot or will not do it themself.

One of these days, I am going to get to keep a car and I thought this one would be it but unfortunately my house in South Florida took a little longer to sell and I got quite a bit less for it than anticipated.  As such, I was not able to meet all of my financial goals with the move to Texas and I HATE DEBT. 

Also, a little off topic but I will be selling my 2005 Dodge Ram QC Hemi in order to further reduce my debt load.  I owe around $18.5K for it and that is what I want for it.  It's got a Hemi with 20k miles on it and is silver.  I've got the 20" wheels, a bed topper, and spray on bed liner.  Sticker price on it was around $32,000.00 when I got it 12 months ago.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline ESGEE

• 1970 Challenger RT/SE
    • SG´s site
Re: Need help Choosing Color
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006 - 04:15:09 PM »
Keep it FK5, thats a great color :bigsmile:
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B196875)
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B115166)
70 Challenger SE(RT/SE clone)
69 Charger RT/SE 4speed Trackpac
70 Charger 500

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006 - 04:25:58 PM »
I agree, it's a great color but is it a great color for selling?!?!
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006 - 04:29:41 PM »
I think that burnt/burnt is a cool combo. :2cents:

Tom

What you going to sell it for later($$$)?
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006 - 04:39:08 PM »
Someone out there probably missed out on a burnt orange challenger or really wanted one as a teen but could not get it. Now they have the money and you have the car, presto. Besides if the interior is nice then you will not have to change the interior color. Good luck on the debt reduction and the truck sounds like a good deal.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006 - 04:46:49 PM »
I love interior colors other than black so a Burnt Orange car in and out would appeal to me.Not sure what the most popular color for resale would be but I would guess any high impact color would work and by going Hemi Orange you could keep the interior burnt orange and maybe save a few bucks on the resto.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006 - 04:52:07 PM »
Send pics of the truck to arpdarp@bright.net
Thanks,
Tony
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006 - 05:06:41 PM »

Ill be the odd one out, Sublime (or FC7) get my vote. Even those not into Mopars (including Brand-X car guys) love the colour, it appeals to a greater audience & after all, this is what you're were asking about.....

I'm not a fan of burnt orange, it's "OK" don't get me wrong, just, more appealing & sexier colours are available.

:2cents: :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006 - 05:09:54 PM »

Ill be the odd one out, Sublime (or FC7) get my vote. Even those not into Mopars (including Brand-X car guys) love the colour, it appeals to a greater audience & after all, this is what you're were asking about.....

I'm not a fan of burnt orange, it's "OK" don't get me wrong, just, more appealing & sexier colours are available.

:2cents: :cheers:
:iagree: But, A freshly painted/ clean burnt orange car stands out in a crowd. It's different and doesn't fit the mainstream.
Sorry....I'm a Rebel and must be different. :stirpot:
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006 - 05:12:17 PM »
:iagree: But, A freshly painted/ clean burnt orange car stands out in a crowd. It's different and doesn't fit the mainstream.

Yes, good point however it stands out more to the Mopar purist at car shows. We're talking a wider range of potential buyers. IMO if someone with no car knowledge etc saw the same 70 Challenger in Burnt Orange and Plum Crazy the odds of them buying the Burnt orange are extremely low, you think?   :dunno:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006 - 05:14:44 PM by NZ440R/T »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006 - 05:50:06 PM »
 :iagree:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006 - 08:07:58 PM »
While I like the other colors, I'd think a '70 Challenger would bring more money if it kept it's stock color combination.  If you were to change the interior color to black or white (with Plum exterior), then you could probably broaden your potential market. :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006 - 08:19:20 PM »
Burnt orange is a nice color but NZ makes a good point.  When someone buys one of these cars, burnt orange is not the first that comes to most peoples mind.

I was thinking that it would be nice to keep it stock but since you're already not keeping it stock in the engine department and turning it into an R/T clone then the point is moot.

Black is interesting with a burnt orange interior.  A while back someone posted pictures of one and it looked very classy and luxurious.  Was it R/Thedkace that posted it?

You could go with a variation of the burnt orange theme by going with a modern color.

The new Dodge Charger Daytona that is GoMango in my opion looks more like a burnt orange to me but a little brighter.  Was it originally called, "Catch Me Copper" but then the police didn't like it?

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/09/chargerdaytona06_06.jpg

At last years New England International Auto Show there was a RalliArt Mitsubishi Gallant that was this beautiful color that looks like burnt orange.  :drool: I think they are using it now on thier production cars.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006 - 08:23:26 PM by Super Blue 72 »
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 70 rtse

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006 - 08:54:35 PM »
I am  restoring my car original black exterior and burnt orang inerior it is not cheap if you have the se  leather buckets cost me a fortune for the pair of buckets from legendary not sure how much the standard burnt orandge interior is i will post pics when the car is finished wont be for a while.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006 - 12:09:24 AM by 70 rtse »

Offline Robb

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006 - 09:05:36 PM »
I voted, from your choices, that you should paint it Hemi Orange.   

The burnt orange exterior is too close to an "earth tone" if it doesnt have a perfect clearcoat and polish job on it.   

the burnt orange interior is a toss up. ;)

its a 1970 year only option, and not terribly common....    so supply is low, but then so is demand....    because an orange interior doesnt sound all that swell.    It grows on you though.   I refer to it as basketball-orange.

Burnt orange dash pieces and various non reprod pieces are far and few between on ebay, but there usually isnt much competition for them once they show up.   Instead of mod-ing my original center console for the manual shift tranny, I got a second one off of ebay and I got it cheap and in great condition, same with kickpanels and a right side driver dash piece.

being that Im in AZ, the orange is better than black.    :cooldancing:
and white is hard to keep clean...    and green (to me) is ....  :1zhelp:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006 - 09:07:36 PM by Robb »

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler