Author Topic: NE1 rebiuld there hood hinges themselves?  (Read 3316 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
NE1 rebiuld there hood hinges themselves?
« on: November 07, 2006 - 10:27:32 AM »
I know there is at least one company that rebiulds hood hinges but I would rather do it myself (and I`m poor).Has anyone done it and are there parts available,mainly the rivets?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Total BS

• '71 Carrabuda Baby!
Re: NE1 rebiuld there hood hinges themselves?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006 - 09:48:53 PM »
I had mine rebuild by Resto Rick.  They were $175 for the pair for my 71 Cuda.  He did a great job as most of the teeth were worn away. They look brand new now.

http://www.restorick.com/products.asp?id=2
1971 'Cuda 383
1970 Chevelle SS LS6
1999 Durango
-New Joisey-

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006 - 10:19:17 PM »
SMS Mopar restores them too check out there web site. I had mine done by them and they came back with new pins and bushings and were plated.

www.smsmopar.com

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006 - 05:58:28 PM »
I know there are places that do them but I`d like to find the rivets and rebiuld them myself.
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006 - 07:23:12 AM »
Just what i was looking for but $59.95 for 10 rivets!  :eek2: Maybe I can just make them myself on the lathe at work?
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006 - 09:38:59 AM »
When my R/T was out in Uxbridge for that SHORT period of time back in April.....
..American-classic.com..................................  :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe:
....American-classic.com..................................  :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe:
......American-classic.com..................................  :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe:
........American-classic.com..................................  :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe:
..........American-classic.com..................................  :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe:
............American-classic.com..................................  :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe:
My hood hinges were left there also. I got a call back in May saying my hood hinges were all set to pick up. The cost???????  $400.00  :swear: :swear: :swear: You mutha F'n snake  :villagers:
 I still haven't picked them up.  :sadwavey:  He can stick them up .......well you know.  I have a pair left from my 72 Chally that will be going on instead.
I called smsmopar on my own and asked for a quote. I got a quote of around $170.00, and I know for a fact that's where mine were sent. How's that $230.00 markup doing you jack @ss  :villagers:
So what I'm getting at is $60.00 for ten rivits and doing them yourself doesn't seem that bad  :dunno:
Let me know if you go that route Torred. I'd be interested to know how they turn out.
Good luck man  :thumbsup:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006 - 01:42:15 PM »
Ya,$60 probably ain`t so bad.As soon as I pull the cuda up the shop to start work on it I`ll pull the hinges apart and decide whether to make the rivets or just buy them.I`ll definitly NOT send `em to American-porku.com!  :villagers:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006 - 01:44:32 PM by torredcuda »
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006 - 03:43:13 PM »
I bought the rivets from Funk Bros off Ebay but the shop didn't put think it was worth putting them in as most of my wear was in the teeth.  Unfortuantely hood now moves in about 6 dimensions so I just placed an order this morning for some SMS hinges which will hopefully arrive before the Barracuda goes back in for some paint touch-ups.  Ended up costing $468 US with postage ($169 to Australia :22yikes: :'()  $60 rivets also ended up costing $95 with postage which is expensive not to use.  I was surprised by the cost of the rivets as it is just 10 machined bits of steel but I guess low production runs adds to the cost.  I'll give some feedback on the hinges once they're in.
'70 Barracuda

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006 - 03:28:13 AM »
Well hinges arrived today after only 4 days by airmail to Australia which is fantastic (strangely came by Canada Post when SMS is in the U.S.??)  Hinges are in primer so hard to tell what work was done in the resto but they seem tight - I guess will only really know how good they are once they have the weight of a hood on them which is stilla couple of weeks away.  Nonetheless, service from SMS was great! :2thumbs:
'70 Barracuda

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006 - 11:01:06 AM »
So, for you hinge rebuilders, what exactly goes bad in those hinges?  Mine were fine till I took off my hood once then put it back on by myself. Since then, after I close my hood, I have to push down on the top to lower it another inch.  Do the gear teeth get bent up or something.  I have spare hinges but never pulled a bad one apart yet to see what's up.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006 - 06:19:32 PM »
Rob, will have to check details when i get home, but SMS warned against pushing the hinges in a particular direction when aligning the hood as it ruined them.  Possibly this is what happened to you - I know I'll be making sure the paint shop is careful with these ones.
'70 Barracuda

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006 - 07:49:37 PM »
That could have been when I was pushing and pulling on the corners. I'll have to pull them apart sometime in the next couple of years to see why they have so much play in them now.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006 - 07:52:14 PM »
So, for you hinge rebuilders, what exactly goes bad in those hinges?  Mine were fine till I took off my hood once then put it back on by myself. Since then, after I close my hood, I have to push down on the top to lower it another inch.  Do the gear teeth get bent up or something.  I have spare hinges but never pulled a bad one apart yet to see what's up.

Rob

I was changing my engine alot and was having the same problem with my hood. I found out that to lower the back of the hood you actually have to RAISE the front part of the hinge. so when you have the bolts tight but the hinge is still able to move, the back of the hinge goes down and the front part of the hinge goes up. Weird but it works. What workded best for me was to actually lift the hood from the front and it forces the hinge up at the front and down in the back and then if it will stay just tighten it and do a trial. If it tries to fall back where it was either tighten the bolts a hair more or better yet get a buddy to tighten the bolts while you are lifting up on the hood. Good luck with it.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006 - 07:57:04 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that next time I have my car out.

Rob
Rob