Author Topic: few question on removing camshaft  (Read 594 times)

Offline 73 challenger 440

few question on removing camshaft
« on: November 08, 2006 - 11:58:08 AM »
tonight or tomorrow I am going to start removing the camshaft, but before I do, can someone tell me the gaskets i'll need.. and when I remove the timing cover do I have to loosen the oil pan?? also when I install the cam, how do I adjust the rocker arms??
I am sure i'll have more questions..

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: few question on removing camshaft
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006 - 12:28:53 AM »
FelPro has a timing cover kit , you will also need an intake pan 1214 for 383-400 B engine or 1215 for 413-440 RB
& probably valve cover gaskets
, the front cover can be removed & installed without dropping the oil pan , I put a bead of good quality ultra silicone between the pan & cover & istall the 2 bolt from the bottom to pull the cover down & tap it into place
the rockers are not adjustable Unless you go with a solid cam & aftermarket rocker arms which need to be set 1 at a time when the lifter is on the opposite side of the lobe 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 73 challenger 440

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006 - 12:33:16 AM »
thanks... got a book today on rebuilding big block mopars, it's pretty good, shows some pictures in decent detail..

Offline sccarts1

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006 - 04:51:43 PM »
pulling all the plugs will ease the required engine rotation too !!! ps prime your lifters & make sure the oil pump gear is correct for the cam also if you go with adjusable rockers do  a compression test on each cylinder to make sure your getting the optimum valve operation. the rule of thumb preload is not always satisfactory.