Author Topic: "L Y" Rods?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
"L Y" Rods?
« on: November 09, 2006 - 02:19:57 PM »
What are they, how do they differ from any other 440 rod, and what engines did they come in?  :clueless:
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: "L Y" Rods?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006 - 03:36:34 PM »
LY is the standard 440 rod , they are very strong & lighter than the only other rod used which is the 6 pack
 so any non HP / truck 440 will have LY rods

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
Re: "LY" Rods?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006 - 10:29:16 PM »
Okay, so it's safe to assume that the rods in a 440 removed from a '66 D-body (Imperial) are going to be LY rods and will be just fine for street/strip use once reworked?  Would that engine also have a steel crank?

Thank, Chryco

:working:

LY is the standard 440 rod , they are very strong & lighter than the only other rod used which is the 6 pack
 so any non HP / truck 440 will have LY rods
MOPAR or NO car!

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006 - 11:00:46 PM »
But by the time you buy rod bolts ($70) have them resized ($130) then realise they are forty years old, you need to consider magnafluxing them ($40) possibly shot peening them ($50)  why not replace them with some of the aftermarket budget oriented performance rods? Check near the bottom of the page Brandon offers a inexpensive replacement rod with larger 7/16ths rod bolts for about what rebuilding your rods would run...

http://www.440source.com/rods.htm
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006 - 12:56:50 AM »
that engine will ahve a steel crank , & depending how hard you are going to push the engine the LY are usually adequate &  I would stil use a good LY over some of the cheap aftermarket rods , if it hasn`t failed in 30 years it won`t overnite 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006 - 10:58:52 AM »
Thanks, guys.

I didn't think you COULD push a 440  ;)

It will be mostly street with an occasional (hard) trip to the strip.  :burnout:

I had thought of buying "modern" rods but have read a few places (maybe hear too) that even they still need to be checked before installing.  Seems to me if they demand good money for these performance parts like rods and aluminum heads, and brag about all the development etc etc, they should be friggen ready to GO right out of the box, and not need checking, port matching, CCing, or whatever. 

Then I hear others say their parts where great as shipped.   :dunno:

Bill
MOPAR or NO car!

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006 - 07:46:20 AM »
Who says paying $300 for a set of new rods is good money? They are inexpensive. For various reasons. But,, they are stronger than any prepped LY rod. I use a lot of LYs in my builds. They are fairly light, strong, and available. Stick ARp bolts in them and go. But, if you need/want full floating pistons (like the good forged ones) paying to have the small ends bushed will push the cost of redoing the rods up above $350 easy. At that point, buying the cheaper rod, and having it checked and corrected if needed makes $$ sense. The end result is stronger, for a little more $$. In the cases I've had, it costs $100 above the price of the rods. 2 sets from Brandon (one H beam, one I beam) needed to be fixed. They also need the pin bushing honed to size. Brandon says to use emory cloth. I say use a pin hone. That's why they were invented. But, for a total of $390 or so, you have a set of rods that can run 600hp easy. LYs really start being questionable at around 550hp with decent pistons.

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006 - 08:49:55 AM »
Who says paying $300 for a set of new rods is good money? They are inexpensive.

If you are like me, retired on a fixed income with two kids in college, $300 is "good money".  I'll give you my address, if that is peanuts to too you can send it my way anytime.  ;)   Appreciate the rest of your analogy though.

MOPAR or NO car!

Offline matt63

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006 - 10:31:44 AM »
that engine will ahve a steel crank , & depending how hard you are going to push the engine the LY are usually adequate &  I would stil use a good LY over some of the cheap aftermarket rods , if it hasn`t failed in 30 years it won`t overnite 
I agree. I bought cheap I-beam rods and paid to have them put right.  If I had to do it again I would of gone to better rods or rebuilt stock rods.  As far as fatigue life on rods goes, I would think that in passenger car duty the life would be infinite.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006 - 10:44:18 AM »

If you are like me, retired on a fixed income with two kids in college, $300 is "good money".  I'll give you my address, if that is peanuts to too you can send it my way anytime.  ;)   Appreciate the rest of your analogy though.

My point was, that in terms of buying a set of connecting rods, $300 is not "good money". But I'm sure you already knew that :bigsmile:  Any money I spend, whether mine or others, is hard earned, and i appreciate it for that. But "Good money" for a set of ready to run rods is much closer to $700. Really good money is closer to $1100. But the $1100 ones jump out of the box, take a shower, air dry themselves, and jump in place after numbering themselves. :bigsmile: I ha d adefective one tho..It numbered itself #6 like the previous, and didnt face the right way. I sent it back... :smilielol:

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006 - 03:44:30 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Moper  :thumbsup:

It amazes me how much they get for eight little pieces of forged steel these days; guess I'm old fasioned in may ways  :dunno:  Was a time not too darn long ago (maybe still) you could buy a complete running Detroit V-8 for $1,100  sigh.....  I'll get it built in due time.  :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006 - 03:46:16 PM by mrbill426 »
MOPAR or NO car!

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006 - 07:53:51 AM »
I like to try and justify it by saying "back then we didnt know what we needed".  That helps. Sometimes...  :bigshades: