Author Topic: Power steering units  (Read 1044 times)

Offline bnorth

Power steering units
« on: November 11, 2006 - 04:20:14 PM »
Hello to all I hope everyone is having a great weekend !
I just picked up a used power steering unit for my 70 Challenger rebuild.
I got it from a good friend and it is in great shape with a lot of adjustment left.
My question is these units should bolt up to any E-body regardless of year right ?

I am wondering because Yr 1 shows 1 unit for 70 & 71 and another style for later yrs.
It looks like there are 2 styles but they are universal correct ?

thanks for any help with this.

Ben

now I need a Power steering column !

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
Re: Power steering units
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006 - 04:27:39 PM »
Not positive on the years but I do know some of the PS units have a different size output shaft and your pitman arm would need to be changed if you end up with the wrong PS unit.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006 - 05:53:40 PM »
I believe in 70, you could have had either a Saginaw, or a Federal Mogul pump. They don't look the same.  :grinno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline bnorth

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006 - 06:11:58 PM »
Got it, MEKrunner
                         I know about the pumps, and fortunately I have a coupleof each types of those.
I want to make sure everything else is good to go.
Pitman arm is no problem as I will be using a new one and can match that up.
I wonder if the steeering column and coupler is the same ?

Ben

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006 - 04:11:36 AM »
I know the spline on the coupler has 2 different sizes as well not sure when the change happened or if it was a different application

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006 - 05:43:22 AM »
Not sure about the boxes but believe they are the same. I had bought an NOS box several years ago and it bolted right in. I converted my car from manual to power and found that the coupler on the Manual box had the larger spline.
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006 - 07:02:04 AM »
Hey bnorth, forgot to welcome you to the site, hope you enjoy it here and stay a while. The steering colums are mostly the same on E bodies from year to year but the trim is different. 70 columns will interchange with 70, 71 through 73 and then 74's will all interchange in like. In like meaning auto on the column, floor shift etc. The shaft itself is the same length between years but the manual and power steering shafts are different lengths, you must use the longer column for manual and shorter for PS, there is an aftermarket coupler that will fill in the space if you go to manual from power. If you go to power from manual, you will need to have a shorter shaft and I believe if you do a search here on the forum, there is a thread talking about shortening the shaft. What did the other setup come out of that you are inquiring about? If you are going for absolute correct, I'd use the one out of the same year. Just some things to consider. I have a 70 Satellite that the crush band is tweeked so am using a column out of a 66 Belvedere, just changing over all the trim and steering wheel items, it'll be exactly like it was when I am done but have the older column. Good luck with it, have you posted any pictures yet? We do love pictures. Probably more dialog than you needed hope it helps though.  :thumbsup:

Offline PlumCrazyChris

• Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006 - 09:17:02 AM »
The gear box will bolt up with no problems.  If your getting a new pitman arm get it for the year of the gear box.  I believe the 70s had a different spline output than the later year Challengers. 

I tell you what though.  I got a steering gear box from a mid-80s diplomat/gran fury cop car and put it in my 70 challengers and they work awesome.  Slight firm feel.  I love it so much better than the stock overpowered steering.  It bolts in fine, comes with a fluid cooler too and they are about 20 years newer than the original, both of mine have been very tight.  You identify it by the metal tag on the gear box has TWO rubber gromets in it instead of one.  But if it was a cop car it got the good box.

What you have will work fine, but try one of those if you can find one in the local junkyard.
PlumCrazyChris
Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
Round Rock Tx
70 Challenger 5.7, A518, A/C
70 Challenger 340 convertible (Gone to Sweden)
68 Barracuda (sold it too)
www.mopar.org