Author Topic: 440 engine! !side item Starter stuck..!!!11/26 Not anymore, Now Videos  (Read 7453 times)

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
Something that may sound strange but How easy should a 440, without any spark plugs installed , be to turn over by hand or with the starter.?   I am having some difficulty.  It has been idle for about a year.  Oil changed recently, valve covers removed and there was oil on the rockers so I don't think it is dry. Stumped.............thanks for any information...........David
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006 - 08:51:04 PM by DAYLEY/CHALLENGER »
Dave or David

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: 440 engine question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006 - 09:41:42 PM »
Should be real easy with a starter and not too difficult by hand  . . no compression!   :thumbsup:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006 - 09:45:44 PM »
If it sat that long there may be some light rust on the cylinder walls?  :dunno:

Barry

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006 - 10:31:32 PM »
If it sat that long there may be some light rust on the cylinder walls?  :dunno:

Barry
:iagree:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006 - 05:43:44 PM »
Additional information..........I can turn the engine over with the harmonic balancer nut/wrench deal.  I believe I have a starter problem and not a stuck engine.   IDEAS....... :clueless:
Dave or David

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006 - 05:57:46 PM »
Others with similar issues ended up having weak battery or poor connections. Did your starter work OK before?
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006 - 08:48:09 PM »
WE think we have narrowed it down to a stuck starter.  I will work on that one afternoon this week.  I was looking forward to starting it but just have to wait...............
Dave or David

• Resident
Re: 440 engine question!!side item Starter stuck..!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006 - 06:32:21 PM »
Alright...........I took the two bolts holding the starter to the bell housing out and slid the starter away from the flywheel.........Still engages the bendix BUT will not turn.  There are a set of headers on the engine now > There is no way to get the starter out of the cavity it is in without doing something drastic.  Does anyone know how to unlock a stuck starter without having to remove it completely.???  In other words are there any quick fixes anyone knows about?  Thanks, David
Dave or David

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006 - 06:36:29 PM »
Whack the housing with a hammer. If that dont do it then get a mini starter and never look back  :ylsuper:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006 - 03:50:15 PM »
Whack the housing with a hammer. If that dont do it then get a mini starter and never look back  :ylsuper:

:iagree:

I know it sounds crazy, but I had to give my old starter a few whacks to motivate it.  :lol: That's a temporary fix though. It really should be replaced. You have to loosen the header from the heads to get it to slide out. The mini-starter will be a little easier to put back in, but depending on the headers you have, it might be a bit too wide. I had to make a indentation on my Headman's to get the mini-in there. Love to use my hammer!!   :horse:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006 - 07:08:10 PM »
I must have been lucky, I got the old full size out & the mini in my 74(360) throught the inspection(mud flap) hole!!!!!! not sure what kind of headers are on it? Rich.

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006 - 07:28:52 PM »
Well I wacked it with a hammer................still won't spin.  And there is no opening big enough to get it out...........I am going to loosen the header but there is only 1/4" clearance now between the header and the steering box.   I am facing pulling the engine.  I really don't want to do that. I know  that that is the best way to get the bay painted the proper color too.          So many choices...........So many opportunities............... :violin: :money: :working: :swear: :banghead: :popcorn: :bricks1:
Dave or David

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006 - 09:52:08 PM »
should be able to jack up one side of the engine with the shroud taken out. I know in my case, pulling standard headers is a lot easier doing it from the bottom than trying to pull it out the top. Sorry you have to pull the starter out, it is times like these that make headers a pain but they are worth it imo.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006 - 05:40:11 PM »
Well another chapter............ I took the nuts off the studs holding the header on.  As I mentioned there is only 1/4" clearance between the header and the steering box.  The studs are at least 3/4" long.  This does not compute..........Now I think I will loosen the steering box....Strange bolt heads...........Trox I think.  No sockets to fit.  This is a growing pain I guess everyone goes thur sometimes.  I am just wondering how much more I can remove before I really mess up something.............
Dave or David

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006 - 05:45:26 PM »
Wish I knew more bout 440's, I just put my headers in from the bottom (360 eng)& then put the starter in with no problem from the bottom, I'm sure you crawled under , but it seems a bit weird that there's no way out for the starter? Rich.