Author Topic: Making A 70 A 70  (Read 9408 times)

Offline rowdync

• Challenger Mut
Making A 70 A 70
« on: November 14, 2006 - 06:12:42 PM »
I have a 70 Challenger "Mut". It has a 72 front end and a 71 rear. I want to change both to 70. I know I need to change fenders but do I need different brackets / new brackets to mount the grille and light bezels. Same with the back, once I take out the 71 lights do I need some kind of bracket to mount the 70 lights? Chrysler type wiring has me stumped. I have a 440 and am running a MSD box with a Chrysler electronic distributor. The cars wiring was really butchered on it when I got it and I replaced it with a Ron Frances wiring kit which is a generic hot rod kit, but the car hasn't run right in three years and has pretty much sat. Do I need to go back to original style wiring (via Year One or the Paddock) and then wire in the MSD box. Also there is no ceramic ballist on the car. Do I need to wire one into it? I'm at a loss. I used to own a 64 Chevy Impala and an 80 Corvette. Got rid of both for the Challenger. Been depressed wit the outcome. Can anyone help?

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Making A 70 A 70
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006 - 09:35:18 PM »
MUT huh??  lol  Sounds like you're going to do it right now!!  Sorry need a Challenger person to drop in and answer your questions as I'm not too sure what brackets will work.  Look forward to watching the progress though . . .  :bigsmile:

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006 - 10:48:47 PM »
No ballast with the msd, if you got a new harness, not much into installing it, but if you want to keep the msd, it eliminates the orange box/ballast and left with extra wires.  I think the 70 lights are a direct fit, but not 100% sure.  I'm no challenger expert, owned all b-bodies before this car... I'm like 1-1/2 hours from New Castle :cheers:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006 - 05:36:48 AM »
Here is a picture of the grill for a 70.You will need the center T bar if yours doesn't have this and when you replace the fenders the light mounts are with them.I think the tail light panel would be the same so all you need is the tail lights.Wiring harnesses are available so that is not a problem. You can down load the MSD instructions to rewire it in to the new wiring.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006 - 07:41:39 AM »
Hi rowdync,

I wonder how much all these parts will cost new, piece by piece?  '70 stuff is $$$.

I wonder if a severly rusted out parts car would be better to get?  So long as the parts you need aren't too bad.  :dunno:  :clueless:

I'm sure once you get off the '72 front end it'll sell easy.  Looks like it's in great shape!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006 - 03:26:38 PM »
71 and 70 tail panels are totally different.  The 70 has a hole in the center for the reverse lights.  You've got a big Challenge ahead of you.  Maybe try to find a 72 that needs all the front sheetmetal and bolt it together to sell the car to help finance this project.  A lot of people really shy away from totally incomplete project cars and you'll probably get more return for the complete car than you would for just the grille and fenders etc.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006 - 03:39:59 PM »
oooopps I need to get more coffee in me before I post in the mornings :walkaway:.

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006 - 04:10:18 PM »
I don't know your time frame for these parts but goodmark is gonna repro the 70 tailpanel.Now I know that the fenders have been waited on for a long time.And they are supposed to release the one peice trunk pan in Dec.and since you would have to remove the tailpanel to install one I would guess that the tailpanel isn't to far behind.And many are mad about the time its taken on the fenders but I personally would rather have them get it right so when I buy mine I dont have to spend any extra time trying to make them fit.

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006 - 05:33:44 PM »
I was going to wait on goodmark for the rear under the seat pan... but figured I could have the car done before they finish it :roflsmiley:  I wouldn;t mind getting a fender, but again not sure if I'll be able to wait on them.  As far as the hole for the reverse light, not something that could be cut out?
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline rowdync

• Challenger Mut
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006 - 05:34:09 PM »
I want to thank everybody so far for the pictures and advice. A little history on the car. I bought it from a friend that put it together out of a couple of cars. The original fender tag says the car is a 1970 Challenger SE, 383 car. I have the overhead panel, although it is in rough shape. The guy cut the front fenders to use the 70 turn signals. It has a 440 in it with Edelbrock Aluminum heads, RPM intake, TCI 727, and a Randy's Ring and Pinion 3.55 posi 8 3/4 rear (engine about 5 or 6k on it, tranny and rear about 2k), MP disc brake kit on the front. I'll post some pictures when I return in December from a deployment (I'm in a the AF reserves). My thought is to rewire the car first and get it running again. It needs some touch up on the paint from sitting but getting it running again is the first thing on the agenda. Gathering  70 parts is something I'll do as time and money permit. I'll wait on the goodmark peices to come out. Since the popularity of the E-body is high it has hurt the average working guy/gal to afford the 70/71 parts, but I hope with the resurgents in interest that the aftermarket parts will become more available. I would like to eventually end up with a nice street rod and not so much an all original car I'm afraid to drive. Stay with me folks on this. I'll be asking more questions in the future. Thanks again for the help so far!

sleepychallenger

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006 - 05:47:51 PM »
I will post pictures of the 70 tail panel from the inside so that you can see what it looks like, i dont think that the 71 is even close. i will also post the pics of the front to the best of my ability.

BTW... Good luck where ever you are going and come back safe. What is your AFSC?
2G051 here
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006 - 05:50:00 PM by sleepychallenger »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006 - 05:52:59 PM »
I guess someone had a 70 with rust issues or damage on each end? It must have taken some work to get a 71 tail on your car. The whole front clip would need to be replaced to get the 70 front back on there. I don't have a problem with how your car looks, I just wish you were closer so I could solve the wiring issues for you.  :working: I feel your pain.   :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006 - 06:10:33 PM »
Heres what a 70 tailpanel looks like

sleepychallenger

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006 - 06:11:47 PM »
thanks clown, better pics than i could have gotten

Offline rowdync

• Challenger Mut
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006 - 06:19:56 PM »
Thanks for the pictures once again. Most of my friends say to leave the car alone because of it's uniqueness but I would prefer to make it a 70. My second thought is to find a 71 rear and make it a 71 clone since it already has the rear end and rear quarter gills. They are origainal magnesium gills as well. What do you all think?