Author Topic: Those pesky spammers.  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
Those pesky spammers.
« on: November 17, 2006 - 10:19:51 AM »
Can this type of security be implimented when signing up for an account ?  It'd slow down the bots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA

Thanks,

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
Re: Those pesky spammers.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006 - 11:43:41 AM »
It's not currently one of our options.  I'll look into seeing if there is some kind of module we can add.  It is getting little old...quite an eye opener in the mornings!!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006 - 02:57:45 PM »
It's not currently one of our options.  I'll look into seeing if there is some kind of module we can add.  It is getting little old...quite an eye opener in the mornings!!

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:

It wakes me up faster than black coffee.  :grinyes: That one 2 days ago was something else.   :22yikes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006 - 01:45:37 PM »
Ah-Ha! That's the thing that I was talking about earlier... the distorted numbers and letters - CAPTCHA.

Here you go - a CAPTCHA mod for Simple Machine Forums that I found. From what I read, it may not be terribly effective against those who are willing to take the time and use programs that analyze the screen, but it should keep out the simple automated types.

http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=474

It does require a forum upgrade, though. (To V. 1.1, RC3)

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006 - 01:59:41 PM »
Ah-Ha! That's the thing that I was talking about earlier... the distorted numbers and letters - CAPTCHA.

Here you go - a CAPTCHA mod for Simple Machine Forums that I found. From what I read, it may not be terribly effective against those who are willing to take the time and use programs that analyze the screen, but it should keep out the simple automated types.

http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=474

It does require a forum upgrade, though. (To V. 1.1, RC3)

That's what I'm afraid of.  The ones that are getting through are the people who are doing this maually.  Anyway...Ross is working on it.
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006 - 09:18:15 PM »
Sorry, I started a thread under other topics before finding out about this discussion already here. Does this software allow for more moderators than what we already have ??? There are some very credible/responsible people to choose from (Daves70, Old School, Mekrunner) to name a few. We could increase the number of moderators, by looking at their normal schedules. I know some of them are on here everyday at the same basic times. Try to have two moderators on at all times to allow for unforseen circumstances where one might not be on.

Also, to use the same type of logic that you use to disallow an individual from seeing certain posts. Only moderators could see a newbies post until they have say 10 posts. That way the newbie is going to get an immediate response from a moderator and doesn't realize that the entire community can not see their posts. If a moderator is comfortable enough with the newbie after a couple of posts he/she can release the block on that person.

Rev - You are right that it isn't the automated spamming that we have to worry about. Its the ones that are registering and making one post. Thanks You are all doing a fantastic job as moderators, I am a moderator on APAPOOL.Com and it isn't a very rewarding job.