My 340 is dead.

Author Topic: My 340 is dead.  (Read 2826 times)

Offline 340ChallengerMan

My 340 is dead.
« on: November 22, 2006 - 09:59:12 PM »
Hello to all.  This may only be my second post or so...I'm still new I guess.  :)  I live in the mountains of Colorado and have been a Mopar owner/fanatic since before I got my first driver's license...early '70's. 

I was inspecting my 340 block today, and low and behold, I found two cracks.   Arrrgh!!!!  Pretty big ones too.  Dang it!  And, although my car is a '73 Challenger (not one of the more desireable 70-71's), it is a genuine Rallye car and I have been associated with it since high school (1975).  Man, it's like one of my best friends just died.  :'( 

One of my work buddies has a 360 out of a pickup truck that he said he would give me for free.  Told him thanks and I guess I'll take it for an interm engine, but it just ain't a 340.  Feel like someone kicked me.

Anyhow, does anyone here know of any books, websites, ect that has info on installing modern (read EFI/computer controlled) engines in the old cars?  Since I'm not going to be numbers matching anymore, I'm not locked in to a 340 or even a small block.  I have an 06' SRT8 Charger and that Hemi is really a cooker!  I'm thinking that a 5.7L Hemi from a truck, Charger, Magnum, or 300C would make a dandy engine for the Challenger, but I just don't know anything about the new stuff...computers, sensors, ect.  I would be afraid to tackle the wiring nightmare without some kind of guide.

Any ideas?

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: My 340 is dead.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006 - 10:10:43 PM »
I woudl go here - - - > www.cuda-challenger.com  and ask your questions in the tech area.  Someone will come along and help you out!!  There are a few members that installed new computer controlled motors in their e-bodies! 

:bigsmile:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006 - 10:29:03 PM »
Where are the cracks? If they are not in critical areas you can use high nickel cast iron rod and weld the cracks. drilling holes at the extreme ends of each crack, heat the area with a torch and then use the cast iron rod and arc weld the cracks. I would think most good machine shops could do this for you.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006 - 01:24:38 AM »
most blocks can be saved even if you decide to just keep it as the #S block for the car , if the cylinder is cracked it can be sleeved or if the outer water jacket is cracked there are 2-3 processes to fix it properly
 the new 5.7 or 6.1 will bolt in & Mopar has a stand alone harness to run the electronics without the rest of the truck / car

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006 - 04:39:26 AM »
Just saw this last night, appears complete 5.7mini hemi set up 8.1K http://www.buymopar.com/store/Crate.html
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006 - 06:34:26 AM »
That looks like a neat set-up. I asume you would have to buy the conversion kit (4.1K) seperately.   I wonder if you can get a hemi out charger yourself and buy the conversion kit from them? What are people running for transmissions on these engines? Do they make bellhousings for the 5.7L Hemi?

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline 340ChallengerMan

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006 - 09:50:05 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

The cracks are on the inside of the left side piston bank. The outer water jacket I guess is the area.  Can't see anything in the piston bores.  Funny, the thing did'nt seem to leak coolant into the oil or anything.  It did freeze, so I am sure thats why it is cracked.  It did have low compression in two cylinders on that left side....I don't know if it was the head or possible hairline cracks in the cylinder walls or warped cyln walls.  I am going to take it to a good engine machine shop and see if they can save it. For now, I am going to go with a 360.

Got the 360 my friend gave me torn down.  It looks ok...going to need boring, ect I'm sure.  I'm wondering if it might be just as well to buy a 360 short block from Mopar Performance instead.  The dealer quoted me $1629.00 for a high compression (about 10:1 or so) short block assembly with cam and timing set.  Not sure what machining the old 360 block is going to cost. 

Gonna miss that 340 though.  Would like to have one of those 340 Mopar Performance blocks, but they're pretty pricey.  I'm sure they're good ones...and less expensive than a T/A block, but my finances dictate something a little lower priced.

1BADFISH,

I believe the Magnum (post '92) and the new Hemi's all use the LA engine bell housing pattern.  You can use a 727 or one of the new trannies.  The 5sp autostick that is in my SRT8 seems to be a pretty cool trans.  I wouldn't mind having one in my Challenger as well, but it is controlled by the computer as well, so we're back to that electronics stuff.  My stepson is a auto mechanic and he says it shouldn't be too difficult to put a new Hemi in my car as long as we got the complete engine/tranny/computer wiring harnesses out of whatever we took the engine from.  Who knows, maybe something for a future hotrod.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006 - 09:55:27 PM by 340ChallengerMan »

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006 - 10:05:06 PM »
right after reading this thread I was in my "library" with the Dec. Popular mechanics and there's a full page add says "chip off the old Block"?
Anyways don't know anything about the product, but it made me think about your 340.,
here's a link :

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=401016&S=Y

Says it's permanent ;)

actually looking at their website and viewing the on-line tutorial..it's a very professional organisation.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006 - 10:16:16 PM by chevyconvert »
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006 - 06:24:15 AM »
Unless it's completely thru a large area, virtually any crack can be repaired. Either by welding, or pinning. But it can get expensive. My point is, perhaps it's better to bag up the cracked block for repair later.

As far as bolting in a late model Hemi, they are easy to attach. Very hard to get to run. I dont know if they can be used witha  727 or LA style bell. I know there are no transmissions except conversions that will operate witht hem. XV Motorsports is developing an automatic, but not for sale to the general public. It' s and extra cost option on a car if you buy it from them. They also have thier own bell housing for 5 and 6 speeds. The MP "crate" 5.7 Hemi uses a base fuel and ignition map. It's the equivilent of the "limp in" mode the factory computer falls back on when something goes wrong. They are nothing I'd want to use. The factory type computers control gages, transmission, and engine. So making it all work will be a huge challenge. No offense to anyone but it's not something a typical auto tech will be able to do IMO. There are kits to bolt Magnum based engines into your car. That is fairly easy, and all LA bellhousings/transmissions will attach. It can get pricey for the return IMO, but it's fairly straight frward. The last option would be to stick EFI on an LA engine. It's the easiest, has the most choices, and will give you the drivability you are looking for.

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006 - 04:53:54 PM »
1BADFISH,

I believe the Magnum (post '92) and the new Hemi's all use the LA engine bell housing pattern.  You can use a 727 or one of the new trannies.  The 5sp autostick that is in my SRT8 seems to be a pretty cool trans.  I wouldn't mind having one in my Challenger as well, but it is controlled by the computer as well, so we're back to that electronics stuff.  My stepson is a auto mechanic and he says it shouldn't be too difficult to put a new Hemi in my car as long as we got the complete engine/tranny/computer wiring harnesses out of whatever we took the engine from.  Who knows, maybe something for a future hotrod.

Anyone use/make a CVT transmission? Just curious if they make them and what they're like.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline 340ChallengerMan

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006 - 10:37:11 PM »
I was just reading through a Mopar Action magazine (8/02) and they had an article previewing the new 5.7L Hemis.  In that article, they said the bellhousing bolt pattern was different than the old small blocks, so it would seem that one would have to use a newer tranny than the Torqueflite in a swap situation.

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006 - 03:29:40 PM »
I'm wondering if it might be just as well to buy a 360 short block from Mopar Performance instead

Mopar is currently recycling old 360 blocks for the short blocks, rather than making new ones, and they currently have a shortage of cores, so theyre is currently a lead time of several months on these.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006 - 05:46:16 PM »
I just saw a real nice 70 340 on craigslist  denver/boulder?.....Colorado anyway.2500.00? :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"