Author Topic: Doing away with antenna?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Doing away with antenna?
« on: November 23, 2006 - 12:06:28 PM »
Now I am not going to shave door handles or side marker lights on my 71 Challenger but I have been toying with the idea of sealing up the hole for an antenna. I will most likely have XM radio with an alpine DTS system so I dont really need it. Does anyone make some sort of hidden antenna or a dual one that will pick up XM and AM/FM? What do you guys think? I was going to do a power antenna because of the cost of an original replacement. Any power antenna recommendations or do you guys like the idea of losing the antenna alltogether?
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: Doing away with antenna?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006 - 03:40:26 PM »
I wanted a clean look on mine so I welded up the antenna hole and I have a Dakota Digital unit that attaches inside the car on the windshield or any location where metal does not block the signal.It gets pretty good reception but I`m not sure of XM and I actually ended up with an extra one if you are interested in it I`ll give you a good price.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006 - 02:59:21 PM »
I have an NOS antenna delete plug that I am planning on putting on eBay, if you're interested.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006 - 03:04:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice and offers guys. I am pretty sure I will just put an aftermarket power antenna in it. If I decide to delete the antenna I will just cut a disc of metal and mig it shut and finish it out like it was never there.
*Brett*

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006 - 08:43:54 AM »
I plan to move mine to the rear quarter, as I have allways liked to look, and would not be screwing up a factory "special" car.
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006 - 08:21:33 PM »
I plan to move mine to the rear quarter, as I have allways liked to look, and would not be screwing up a factory "special" car.

Yeah I feel the same way. I like the fact that at the end of the day if I mod my car it is just a 318 Challenger instead of something that I might be afraid to change. I love the look of the T/A and AAR antenna location too but I want my car to look pretty much stock, with the original paint scheme and top/interior colors. I have a 70 Challenger project that I am starting to seriously think about making into a convertible. Used to be a few around but now they are either gone or worth more than their weight in gold.
*Brett*