Author Topic: Mopar Performance Leaf Springs - Need More Height  (Read 3058 times)

Offline oldred

Mopar Performance Leaf Springs - Need More Height
« on: November 23, 2006 - 01:41:23 PM »
So in another one of my boneheaded moves, I replaced the leaf springs on my car with Mopar Performance leaf springs thinking my car was sagging. Well, they're the same height, and the car wasn't sagging. Here's the deal. I'm looking to get at least 2-3" over stock ride height in the back. Here's the reason, I've got these damn headers which hang down low, and I want to lift the front end and rear end so I've got a minimal rake and don't scrape on every bump. How do you guys suggest I do it? I could use lift blocks, but that would mean doing a spring over, and I'm just not that committed yet. I don't want to use air shocks either (I lost a hose on the highway and the whole back of the car dropped which got exciting really quickly).

:banghead:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Mopar Performance Leaf Springs - Need More Height
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006 - 03:51:29 PM »
Not sure about the springs, but taller tires will add some clearance next time you buy tires.....      :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006 - 04:25:39 PM »
oldred, The ultamate solution, according to many folks here, seems to be a company called Springs & Things aka Espo. If you do a search under suspensions on this board for Espo leaf springs you will find dozens of posts on this very topic. The bottom line is the leaf springs they sell can be ordered any way you want, seems the basic replacements are about 175 with add on $s for extra arch + shipping. I believe you can get what you want for something around  $300. http://www.espo.com/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006 - 07:56:15 PM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006 - 05:52:37 PM »
Maybe a good alternative at this point would be to have your new MP Springs arched at a local spring shop. 

Good Luck

Tom :burnout:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006 - 09:19:32 PM »
Maybe a good alternative at this point would be to have your new MP Springs arched at a local spring shop. 

Good Luck

Tom :burnout:

I agree

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006 - 10:05:19 PM »
If you don't get them re-arched I would use espo as I have bouth 2 sets of springs from them in the last 2 years. The set on my Cuda was new Mopar Performance springs and they set low and were pretty stiff riding. I got 1 inch over stock and they lifted my rear end just the way I wanted it.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006 - 10:23:51 PM »
I had a set made for the hadtop because the wheels rubbed.  Still have them if you're interested.  Just replaced them with drag springs. 

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006 - 07:35:29 AM »
Get the ride height you want with all the weight in the car, spare tire, jack, 3/4 tank of fuel, correct wheel/tire combo. Then adjust your torsion bars to the height, raise the back of the car to where you want it. Measure and then take them out and bring to your local spring shop. Have him press in new front bushings and get new shackle bushings paint them and your good to go. Now you could sell your new ones or trade them for somrething else...Got mine done for $90.00 pair. with new clamps and front bushings.. Good Luck......

Offline oldred

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006 - 06:01:34 PM »
Cool, thanks guys. I had done a search and knew about the ESPO springs, but I was trying to avoid buying yet another set. Off to the leaf spring shop it is.