Author Topic: bad ass set of smallblock heads forsale NEW lower price!!!!!  (Read 3073 times)

Offline mcat4321

bad ass set of smallblock heads forsale NEW lower price!!!!!
« on: November 24, 2006 - 12:34:39 PM »
im selling the heads off of my stroker they are edelbrock open chambers  they have new ferera valves cut for bigger 208 intake and 160 exhaust and new comp springs they have massive amounts of portwork done, they flow 289 intake @600 and 215 exhaust the heads where completely redone in july they less than 2k miles and 25 passes they have a comp valvejob with 30* cutbacks these heads are perfect in everyway they have been 10.85 @126 with my 11.2-1 compression 417 c.i 72 cuda@3470lbs. heads, rockers(crane 1.6 golds,new in july) and matching victor intake $2400 i have well over 4k in this combo for another $500 i'll throw in the cam and lifters new in july 06 this is a proven combo $2200 with the matched roller cam(comp.)no lifters
Dustin 513-349-5556
mcat4321@cinci.rr.com
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007 - 05:39:38 PM by mcat4321 »

Offline mcat4321

Re: bad ass set of smallblock heads for sale
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006 - 02:55:18 PM »
 :2thumbs:

Offline mcat4321

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006 - 07:47:05 PM »
c'mon surely someone else wants to go fast with a smallblock :drool:

Offline JimCuda

• MOPAR > Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006 - 09:41:27 PM »
Heck I wish I could take'm off your hands but I'm just about to spend money on the low end.

Hay Dustin, did you know your car is in a Hot Rod Dvd? I just got it in the mail. Good stuff.

Got any good combo ideas for a stroker 340 (pump gas)? Pistons, Intake, Carb, Cam, Rods, Crank, heads  :bigsmile: ?

Jim
 :working:

Offline mcat4321

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006 - 11:50:24 AM »
what DVD ARE YOU REFERRING TO
I KNOW IT WAS ON HOTROD TV AND IN A DRAGWEEK DVD THAT 1320VIDEO.COM PUT OUT ,BUT I DIDNT KNOW OF ANY hotrod video
well when we built mine we wanted a ton of torque because it weighed so much. we kept the comp. to 11-1 we had a cam(comp roller) ground around my flow numbers on the heads. it has a smaller duration to help on torque , i used an rpm airgap duel plane intake and a 950 hp carb
i went bullitproof on the rotating assembly. callies crank eagle h beams rods with good rodbolts . i went with the callies cuz it used a chevy rod .this kept the rotating weight down, and rods are cheaper. the pistons are custom ross the block i had was already .030 so we honed it true at.033 overbore, instead of going right to .040 .this gives the block one more good rebuild .040
im not sure where your located but www.besracing.com did my motor and they will match prices on parts and will not do anything you dont need ,they will treat you right ...my engine made 585 horse and 605 trq. and runs on 93 octane
the powerband is low so i can use a 3400 stall and 373 gear and drive on the highway at 3k running 65mph, for hours!
best e.t with this combo was 11.03 @124.6 @3500 lbs
after going to 2.08 valves and changing to a victor jr. it went 10.85@126 but that was without touching the carb. i still need to rejet it..
Dustin
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006 - 11:53:46 AM by mcat4321 »

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006 - 06:00:01 PM »
I actually got the DVD as a freebie for having a subscription to HotRod Magazine. The DVD title is "Complete BodyWork and Sheetmetal Preparation" from the Hot Rod Magazine Dream - Build - Drive Dvd Library. I know what your thinking, huh? It was actually in the bonus section of the DVD "Drag Week", which had nothing to do with the Bodywork theme but it was nice to see the blue beast there.

I was watching as they were going through some of the cars and said damn that looks like a cuda I have seen. When they brought up a quick snip of you and your name I knew it had to be the same 'cuda I remembered seeing online. I looked through my pictures on my PC and found it; remembered that I got the picture from google a while back and found the same picture here on the cc board.

Thanks for giving me some ideas. I was thinking a very light rotating mass as well. I thought that might be able to get away with a cast mopar 4" crank as I have read that they can are lighter (not sure if they really are but...), seeing that they are rated for 500-600hp (some people say even higher), and get some light weight pistons... dual plane, holley or ed 850 cfm carb etc, etc.

My main concern was the heads, I have a set of J heads with 2.02 and 1.6, but I know the tech behind the heads can't flow as much as newer heads. However my budget will only allow for a rebuild of the heads. Do you know how much these heads restrict the power?

Also do you think stock I-beam rods will break under that combo? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Was that 585 to the rear wheels?

BTW my 340 was punched .030 over as well. I hope to get it in to the local shop here to clean it up and see if we have to go any bigger on the bore. Didn't know they could take it to .033 and I will keep that in mind. Did you end up with some custom pistons at 4.073?

Offline mcat4321

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006 - 06:51:47 PM »
im a little leary of the cast cranks . mainly no room to grow.
the pistons are a complete custom set from ross.as far as rods try to work a good set into your budget .stock 30+yr old rods scare the hell out of me!
the 585 was at the crank
i would think unless you throw a ton of $$$ at your heads you are prolly giving up 100 or so horsepower..plus they weigh twice as much. and they dont transfer heat as well, so at 11-1 comp you will most likely need to use race fuel
good luck

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006 - 07:13:16 PM »
I was thining the same thing as well with the cast cranks, however knowing that if I only produce 400-500 hp cast would be ok I would imagine and make the rotating mass lighter. But I am still torn because much like you stated, room to grow, however the budget is tight.

Were your Ross pistons 4.073 in size?

What do you think of Keith Black Pistons? I heard they are light but they can turn to powder under stress. Maybe not rated for 400-500hp?

Got any ideas on the cam specs?

Actually the rods I have are cast aftermarket rods but they are suspect because I don't know what they have been through. I was thinking some Eagle I-beams for cost, weight, and not having to notch the block (at least thats what I hear on notching), or H beams however more machine work is in order from what I understand. Can you confirm and/or recommend anything here?

I was thinking the same thing on the J-heads lossing about 75-100 Hp. I was thinking with new ok heads I could get 500hp, I was thinking with J heads I could get into the 390-425 power range until I can get something better. Looking for a good cruiser but something that it can get out of its own way. But what do I know? :screwy:

BTW I'm located in Virginia, where is BES located?

As always any information would be appreciated.

-Jim

Offline mcat4321

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006 - 09:21:17 PM »
the best bang for the buck go to
www.ohiocrank.com
look at their rotating assemblies
you can build 500 horse easy with that set up
my uncle used it on a build ,and his builder was very impressed with its quality
and the price is right so you can buy my heads... :grinno:
my pistons are 4.073
as far as notching the block
i used a smaller chevy rod that didnt need any block work but stock mopar sized rods will need the block ground on.
BES is in Indiana right outside Cincinnati..

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006 - 09:34:05 PM »
I went to ohio crank and checked their rotating assemblies but didnt see anything for a 340, saw a cast setup for a 360 - 408 setup but nothing for a 416. I did look in there crank section and saw a part#43404000 for 595. Is that their own custom crank?

Did your uncle use any special/newer heads or j / x head style heads to get 500hp?

Did you have any links to the chevy rods you used? I'm guess they are forged and you had to get a custom milled crank?

-Jim

Offline mcat4321

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006 - 05:13:15 PM »
you should call ohio crank
they will set you up with a cast 340 kit
also you will be hard pressed to get to 500 horse with a stock set of j/x heads

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006 - 09:59:04 PM »
you should call ohio crank
they will set you up with a cast 340 kit
also you will be hard pressed to get to 500 horse with a stock set of j/x heads

I'll definately give them a call and see what they got.

500hp? Nahhh I was just wondering what type of head your uncle was using to get to 500. I suspect closer to 400 with older reconditioned heads.

I was thinking with J heads I could get into the 390-425 power range until I can get something better. Looking for a good cruiser but something that it can get out of its own way. 

Did Ohio hook you up with those Chevy rods too?

Offline mcat4321

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006 - 11:23:42 PM »
i dont run anything from ohiocrank..
callies cranks come with a 2.10 rod journel to use a chevy rod
i dont think the build my uncle did is anywhere near 500 horse
and he used a mildly ported j head

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006 - 02:44:27 PM »
Dustin, did anyone ever tell you...... You Da Man?  ;D

Thanks for all the info, it helps a lot, espically knowing that I'm on a budget I can't make the mistake of order the wrong parts.

Have a Happy New Year and talk to you next year  :bigsmile:

Offline mcat4321

Re: bad ass set of smallblock heads forsale NEW LOWER PRICE
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007 - 05:37:07 PM »
new lower price $2200 with the matching cam(comp)no lifters