Author Topic: Anyone doing a pro-touring project?  (Read 6956 times)

Offline chris5091

Anyone doing a pro-touring project?
« on: November 26, 2006 - 04:50:08 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else is doing a pro-touring style resto. Seeing what you were running and any good links to parts and pictures.

Offline cudabuyer

Re: Anyone doing a pro-touring project?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006 - 12:34:50 PM »
I am, 70 challenger convertible with 540 hemi, Ridetech air bag in rear with Moser 60, alterktion up front with wilwood brakes x 4, Newstalgia wheels, gear vendor overdrive,  :working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline chris5091

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006 - 05:36:27 PM »
sounds sweet what do you think of the alterkation? We are debating on which front to go with. Ours is a 73 340 Rallye. We are putting tubular front, 4 wheel disk, vintage air, replacing all wood grain with carbon fiber, keisler 5 spd with carbon fiber handle. Barry Grant six shooter setup, serpentine belt setup and 17 or 18 inch CCW Classics with black centers.

Offline djr71

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006 - 05:51:46 AM »
I have just decided to make mine a pro-touring style and I plan on using XV Motorsports suspension.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006 - 07:08:29 AM »
I've built one sofar..Still work in progress, but no longer a member here. Stroker big block, GV OD unit, suspension bolt ons, and 13" Baer brakes with hydroboost all around. The owner and I recently toured XV. Very nice product, but if you really want performance, Level 2 is the choice, and you should start with a fresh unibody. Level 2 requires removal of engine, refinishing the engine bay (unless you want to see burnt paint), refinishing of the trunk(same as engine bay), and permanent modification to the unibody. Also, if you've already bought performance braking for the car, you will be selling it, as XV will not (I was told for liability issues) offer their kit to fit any other brakes than what they sell. I also dont like the charges associated with transporting your car to Canada for the work to be completed by their shop. ($2/mile) Level 1 stuff can be closely duplicated with currently available product from other sources if it's installed and set up properly, for less money. The fact that the kit is just that, a matched kit, is a great feature, but it's top dollar for basically a factory suspension. Air bags are great for show cars and cruise nighters, but if you plan to really drive the car to it's new limits, I wouldnt use them. They are cheap and can raise of lower ride height, but they are not a supple road race suspension. That Level 2 will give the car handling like nothing the muscle cars ever had, and will rival any production sports car on the road.  But in my friend's case, he is looking into possibly buying a complete car from XV, as opposed to paying to modify the car he just did most of the work on.

Offline 71RTSEWagon-Conv

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006 - 01:41:16 PM »
i WOULD LOVE TO DO ONE WITH MY 71 CHALLENGER CONV. if anyone knows of a resonable viper wreck thats what I would use but $20.000 for a totaled car to start with out of my price range. A few people say you can buy them for around $6.000 to $8.000 which sounds fair but the cheapest I have found is $20.000.
71 Challenger R/T se Wagon, 71 Challenger Conv [Pace Car], 69 Charger R/T 4x4, 70 Sunroof Superbird clone, 70 Superbird Conv clone, 69 Daytona 4x4 clone, 67 Fury wagon limo factory, 70 Swinger conv, 78 Super Coupe, 78 Super Coupe Sedan Delivery, and some GMs [sorry] 70 GTO conv, 73 Z28, and more

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006 - 11:27:55 AM »
Alterktion was an easy install, my mechanic lost his only employee so it is back to working on Saturdays and sometimes 1/2 day Sundays. 

Mostly just doing minor stuff, working the hoses, a/c lines, etc etc.  Still needs 2 b done tho.

:working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006 - 05:54:20 PM »
I haven't officially started my project yet. I've got my car-a '71 Challenger that is fairly solid.  I'm planning on Pro Touring also. I can't really say how and to what extent since I most likely won't really take the car to the track, but living in Colorado on good twisty roads I definitely want it to handle. I want modern handling and performance with old school looks and sound!

Currently I'm planning either a 6.1  hemi or possible a 6.4L hemi (392 new generation hemi) when they are available. 5 or 6 speed tranny. I'll do the usual subframe connectors, torque boxes and weld up the seams. I don't really want to do the roll cage because of the implications to the cars function inside, but?

I'm looking at several suspensions including the XV Stage II, but for the rear the Lateral Dynamics 3-link/Watts set up is awesome www.lateral-dynamics.com. It gets really great feedback on the pro touring and lateral G forums and websites. The only thing is that you have to modify your rear seat. I've corresponded with Lateral Dynamics and they seem like a really great company.This is a pretty hardcore rear suspension, but it does allow for some wicked sized tires because of the coil over locations. They are also working on a complete front suspension. I've never heard a bad thing about the alterkation unit either. Bill Reilly is a great guy to talk with also. His products are really nice because of all the options you can choose including air ride if wanted. Plus....his is truly a bolt in affair at a very fair price. He really has a complete set up right down to the steering column parts and brakes if you want.

Some say that the new 4-link Air Ride rear bolt in system is pretty good also. I'm not totally convinced on the air bags, but they've been getting some good reviews lately for street set ups.

There are so many other things that go along with this kind of build that I'm working out the details on. Baffled fuel injection ready gas tank, gauges since it's all connecting to modern equipment, of course the engine management system, seats, belts and the list keeps building. It kind of scares me because of all the small details and cost. Probably why I haven't got going on it yet!  :bigsmile:

Mine is in the planning, but I hope to get started soon. A whole lot of work to come!
Anyone else?

Offline Travis72

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006 - 12:10:49 AM »
I am also... 72 Cuda 340 car.  Will eventually be a 5.7 or 6.1 hemi with a 5 speed.  I've been meaning to create a progress type post in the "restoration" forum, but I haven't found the time.  Maybe some time next week so I can post up a bunch of pictures and give a little history on the Cuda (I've owned it 19 years now... since I was 15).

Anyway, I've had the AlterKation front end for a while now, and I just got my 13" Wilwood brakes last week (custom kit from TCE Performance brakes... upsized the rotors and slightly different calipers than the base 13" kit).  I'm currently in the middle of painting the engine bay.  I've already epoxy primered it, then I put on a couple coats of high build primer.  I'm blocking sanding it now (I smoothed the firewall where the stock AC system and heater box went), then I'm hoping to shoot color and clear by next weekend.  Then FINALLY the AlterKation and brakes can go on the car.  Then I'll still have a long way to go until I finally get it back on the road.

Oh, I also installed the XV Motorsports fender braces and the radiator core support.  Fit really good.

Travis

Offline Travis72

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006 - 12:23:53 AM »
Awwww, what the heck, I might as well post a few pics:

Here's one showing the AlterKation cross member (had it installed while moving the car around), plus it shows the XV radiator brace:

Here's the XV fender brace installed:

The other night I had to mock up the calipers with the rotors and hubs to get myself motivated:

Anyway, I'll post some more when I start a thread in the restoration forum.

Travis

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006 - 08:47:28 AM »
Travis72,
Looking great! :grinyes:

Keep us posted on the progress for sure. What are you doing for your rear suspension? Modified stock or?
You're ahead of me. I bought my challenger about 1 1/2 ago. Originally I was just going to do a normal muscle car type project. Big block, manual, etc. but it keeps evolving into more. Mine also has a 340 auto currently, but it's not numbers matching. Matter of fact the car although an R/T doesn't have a factory VIN. It was at one point in it's life sort of stripped and rebuilt with a state assigned VIN, so I can go at it modified and never look back.

We need more Mopar Pro Touring! Great!
Wes

Offline chris5091

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006 - 08:49:53 AM »
Well finally got pics.... shes ready for her turn. I just got done installing my 03 cobra rear in my 94 cobra and installed the twin turbos so i got a bunch of my crap out of the way. It goes next week to get the 5-spd tunnel welded then off to the upholster for the buckskin vinyl top, headliner, carpet and rear seat.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006 - 10:32:48 AM »
Chris, is that color DY3?
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline chris5091

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006 - 11:15:19 AM »
It is JY3 Light Gold. Has black interior, black dashes, and a buckskin vinyl roof.

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006 - 12:23:21 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002