Author Topic: Bens 70 Chally  (Read 2205 times)

Offline bnorth

Bens 70 Chally
« on: November 26, 2006 - 07:51:41 PM »
Hello to all, I am very glad I found this forum I have really enjoyed it so far, and have found a lot of answers from some great people, thanks again.

I posted a few pics in the Newbie section a few weeks ago and as threatened I am starting a resto thread and have some more pics.

This is my 70 Challenger, it is originally a Sub-lime 318,vinyl top car. I picked it up in a trade, someone had already taken apart the car and blasted it and then etch primed it with that green color you see on it. 80% of the cars parts interior trim etc came with it.
I have not decided on the color yet, (should put it back to sub-lime), maybe Plum , dunno yet
Vinyl top will go back on, I have a 68 440 at the machine shop right now should be ready mid Dec, I just got the tranny (727) back from a total rebuild (thanks Rocky) it looks great and is ready to go.

I have another 70 Chally in the driveway (under the cover) 318 car but it has a 340 in it right now, that car is complete and pretty original other than the engine change. I am keeping it right in the driveway so when I begin building the other one if I need a reference on assembly or an odd part or screw I will go to that car. Its all complete and runs with a current inspection. I scored that car a couple of years ago from the second owner.When I am done with the current project I will start on this one ,typical stuff needed qrtrs, floor pans etc.

I was able to get in some time on my car this weekend, yesterday I finished up the deck filler panel (dutchman panel), and started prep on the passenger quarter, I wont need to do a full quarter, a lower patch panel is all it needs, (already did this on drivers side), also worked on the inner wheelhouse pass side patching it up.

and finally the pass sail panel needed a 3X3 " patch welded in and then some leveling, got that done and a guide coat shot on it.
Did all that Saturday, today I spent the day cleaning up the garage and blowing out the car etc.  :working:

Next: Floor pans, and weld in trunk pans   (maybe next weekend)

The roof is a topic I brought up when I first joined the forum, I had to fiberglass some sections to level and reinforce it. I am looking for a good donor roof for the future but am going to continue with the glass repair for now, it looks great and it is sealed well, and besides it is a vinyl top car and thats what I am putting back on it.

My goal is to finish this one by May ?? I am not trying to do a concourse , correct everything blah blah resto :blah:, I just want to build another Hot Rod / Resto Rod to have fun in.

Anyway all for now more to come.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
Re: Bens 70 Chally
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006 - 08:01:49 PM »
Looks like a great start and if your not doing a 100% restoration then I see no reason you can't get it done by May. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress with pictures.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006 - 08:52:46 PM »
Wish mine was that solid!  Looks like a great project and I can't see not keeping an original sublime car sublime!  If it was an ugly green like mine I'd agree :roflsmiley:  I'm with you though, build em how ya want, unless its a high buck car, forget the correct crap :cheers:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006 - 04:57:02 PM »
I just love these threads!  Looks like an excellent project bnorth.  Keep the thread updated as you go so we can all watch. 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006 - 07:14:23 PM »
Lookin' good Ben.  Looks like you have your work cut out for you just like I did.  Look on the bright side though, you didn't have to shell out 1200 bucks for new quarters like I did!
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006 - 08:36:02 PM »
That looks like it's a great restoration project!!! :2thumbs: :cheers:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin