Author Topic: I think its time-  (Read 2896 times)

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
Re: I think its time-
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006 - 02:00:31 PM »
My big question is what is going to be different?  I mean you hate to see the Chally sitting but what will prevent you from having the GN (or anything else) sit just the same? 
Is it the operating cost of the Chally that prevents you from taking a drive and enjoying her?  Do you think a GN il be cheaper to operate?
Is it just the noise level?

I'm unsure of your real motive.  For me if I have a car sitting it means I have no time right now and a different car will not create time for me (unless it is a Delorean :roflsmiley:).

I dont have the Drive,the motovation etc to drive it anymore. it doesnt do anything for me ITs loud,stand out like a sore thumb,cost alot of fuel and not enjoyable to cruize . Car show or get together an hour or two away????,no problem-get in and go! ears wont be ringing, you wont have the exhaust/carb smell on you ,quiet comfortable yet still quick!

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006 - 02:20:36 PM »
I would not sell my cuda.. in part because it's only a weekend cruiser. prob would think differently if i had to drive it all the time. .. maybe not though.

I will say, I'd go with the Grand National.. if I had to choose. They are fast. sleek and handle well.
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006 - 02:38:50 PM »
Being from Australia, I've never seen a 'GN' or 'Grand National' before but if it is the same as the car in those pics then it sure is ugly (in my opinion of course) compared to the lines of a Chally.  I do understand the desire to move on thing and how hard it is to do though - I've had the modified/lifted Wrangler as a daily driver for ten years now and it is a chore to drive it, I love it but it would be nice to hop in a car and arrive relaxed.

I guess the reality is that if people didn't eventually sell their muscle cars, then none of us would have had the chance to buy ours so it is effectively just moving it on to the next caretaker (and the Roadrunner is still quality Mopar!!)
'70 Barracuda

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006 - 02:46:36 PM »
. As far as getting a stealth or 3000GT, they have alot of recalls /electrical problems I've heard and seen. Transfer cases,etc. Expensive to mod and insurance would be big $$$$.

I have to differ here...had my for over a year...no problems with the car at all. The transfer case recall has been done to my car...that a life time recall that's free. My car is only worth about 12K book, so insurance is not expensive...matter of fact i have it insured as an limited use exotic and only pay $400 a year full coverage.

You want to have fun replacing parts, those Gran Nationals will keep you busy once you start modding them.

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006 - 02:51:07 PM »
It is your decision in the end But couldn't you hide it away for awhile?I have had mine around for 14 years and have thought about selling it many times,due to buying a house and having my little Clowns.Which meant there was no money to put into it which always bummed me to see it sitting.I did put it in storage for awhile which wasn't free but was the best thing I ever did with it.And as far as the car being real radical,mine is that way also.I am mixing 110 racing fuel with super which doesnt make it a good everyday ride.But this weekend was the first chance to drive it after two months(blew the torque converter)and when I fired that beast back up the look from my son(9) and daughter(6) was all worth it.I took the whole family out last night for a ride and I still think to myself what if I sold it?And from what I have seen from your posts ,you could build anything so dont sell to finance a newer ride.Just trust yourself------The Clown

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006 - 03:25:34 PM »
I git your drift.  You want to git in and go with out tweak this, tweak that.  A car to use and enjoy.  I can understand that.

Just curious, would you sell your Challenger and use the $$$ as a down payment on a new Challenger or are you looking sort of a trade for a new toy in the same price range?  I know they are going to be $$$$$$.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006 - 03:47:40 PM »
looking for a new toy for around 12k and use the remainder to take another chunk out of what i owe on my truck. yes the Gn will break parts im sure but i want to keep it 12's high 11's which isnt too hard with them. The stealth is deff a cool car,but i would not be happy with 13's,and when you mod it,do you think you wont break parts,axles,trannys,etc???? I want to get into the modern FI thing.I really appreciate all the input so far,you guys are great!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006 - 03:57:23 PM »
Nick,

I have no advice, but I'm sorry you will be selling your Challenger. I always wanted to see that car at Carlisle.  :poopoke:

I know we must do, what we must do. Good luck.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006 - 04:54:24 PM »
looking for a new toy for around 12k and use the remainder to take another chunk out of what i owe on my truck. yes the Gn will break parts im sure but i want to keep it 12's high 11's which isnt too hard with them. The stealth is deff a cool car,but i would not be happy with 13's,and when you mod it,do you think you wont break parts,axles,trannys,etc???? I want to get into the modern FI thing.I really appreciate all the input so far,you guys are great!

Nick,

Bottom line is do what you want, you only go around once. I'm on Mopar #98, so as you can see, they dont hang around here for very long! 

I'm not going to turn this into a debate over TT verus GN's...both have their place, and not at all similar cars. GN's are more drag racers, TT's are much better handling (and looking IMO) cars. If you are interested in the stealth/3000GT's go to 3si.com....my son says plenty of people running 11's there with reliable cars.

Those GN's are quick cars, just got to get over the ugly looks!   ;)

What about a cobra mustang? I've had a few of them, they are pretty good cars, and take easily to mods. The supercharged ones are still on the pricey side, but you can get a DOHC 300HP one fairly cheap.

Wish i knew you were sellin your car...might have sold the GTS outright and bought your's instead.

Just had to include this pic!

:cheers:       :thumbsup:

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006 - 05:34:10 PM »
Id love to get into a stang, but here we go again with high insurance rates. The stealth is deffiently a sweet looking car! I used to whoop up on one a few years ago that ran 12's in toms river. didnt stand a chance when my car was running 12.80s . He was twin turbo awd with mods. car was always breaking though

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006 - 05:46:31 PM »

Nick, how much do Godzillas go for over there mate? I saw somewhere that they are illegal? Is that true? If I were to own a Japanese car without a doubt it would be a 1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32). Man those things are quick and they make some unreal horsepower.....8-9 second 1/4's still street driven. Sounds to me that this would fix your "bug" and then some.

:2thumbs:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006 - 06:14:49 PM »
 :22yikes:  :faint:
That's hard to believe, hope you are happy with whatever you decide to do. I sold my 69 RR about 7 years ago and regret it every day. Once it's gone, well, everyone else has already said it all. At least you're keeping the better of the two.  :grinyes:   Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Okay, okay, just kidding don't want to be  :stirpot: .....  :roflsmiley:

daves70

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006 - 06:19:30 PM »
Good luck Nick with what ever you decide to do. If I ever sold my Challey it would be for another one or a 'Cuda. Love the ego trip these cars give you!! :grinyes:

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006 - 07:06:32 PM »
My Dad sold his 1970 Challenger way back in the 70's. He got married in it, went on his honey moon, graduated, and not to say all the country cruzing done (I guess the area between the windshield and the hood is a great place to chill your beverage in the winter months while driving) Sold it to accommodate his growing family.

Always heard stories about it growing up, and almost 2 years ago some pics surfaced of it. I got around to tracking it down and we purchased it again. It was pure luck and I'm glad we got it back, the guy that we got it back from defiantly got a great return of investment  :o. Like 240%...

You'll probably only have one chance for this and not two like me, think of the long term over more. Maybe you could tone the engine down more to make it easier to daily drive or sell your truck and get a older one to save the money. There are lots of options, what ever you do good luck.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006 - 08:53:42 PM »
 :2cents: for the money couldn't you just upgrade your car? Some of the new suspension set ups handle really nice.
Overdive tranny and different rear gears can cure some of the milage dilemma. As for the amount of drive time I have no solution, lots of us are in that position. As for insurance NIKKI is $632 a year FULL coverage... granted /driving recored/locale/ect. Hate to see you shot yuorself in the foot by selling it and cry later.  :dunno:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl