Author Topic: I think its time-  (Read 2901 times)

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
I think its time-
« on: November 27, 2006 - 07:53:59 AM »

Well, i got thinking ,actually been thinking for a while. My challenger has progressed a whole lot over the years. i bought it when i was 16 (first car)built it completely up from a shell. Currently the car has a fairly new stout 446" that brings it to the 11.30s which i still think it has more. its no race car,90% street car. All the car ever does is sit,sit and sit outside with the cover on it. Every once in a while ill uncover it and take it for a ride or go to a show. probably drove it 3 times this year...

I tried making it more street friendly with a comfortable interior and full exhaust, tight convertor , but it still doesnt do it for me.

I would love to build up a newer stang or turbo a s2000 or 350z. Somethign with nice suspension,all the creature comfots and reliability.Insurance cost will stop me from doing that .

My challenger is LOUD, no over drive, No ac hooked up, a big heavy gas gullizin mean street machine. I want a car thats low key, fast ,decent milage, comfortable etc.

Since insurance would be too much money for a newer car, i was thinking of buying a built or building an 80's stang or even doing a turbo charged import . call me crazy but i hate seeing my car sit there being un-used. Whatcha think anyone else feel this way?

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: I think its time-
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006 - 08:06:37 AM »
I don't.   :grinno:   I would never part with my car for a stang.  Keep the car and go buy whet you think you want and them when reality hit you, you'll still have your challenger!!   :grinyes: 

PS: Start driving it more!!   :burnout:

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006 - 08:10:09 AM »
i think i have my heart set on a GN....
  :stirpot:

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006 - 08:17:52 AM »
I have been where you are now.  I had my first car (69 Mustang) for 13 years before I sold it.  Had all the same thoughts you are and same rational.  After I sold it, I was ok  with the descision for about six years, then I started to really miss how simple it was, how loud it was, how easy to work on, how fun it was to break, how unique it was, etc...  I miss it, but I have a cool 71 Cuda to work on now!  :bananasmi

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006 - 08:28:22 AM »
well i wouldnt be completely without an old mucle car. i have my 68 road runner that only needs paint and body work.The challenger, Its a tuff decsion, it was my first car,built it up from a shell all new, dumped every pay check i got into it for YEARS. I want someone to buy it that has a garage and will USE the car! I hate seeing it sit there!

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006 - 09:19:38 AM »
 :22yikes: keep tha car,you'll regrett it later if you sell it.i do everytime i think about a couple of chargers i used to have.  :banghead: my  :2cents:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006 - 10:10:01 AM »
 :iagree: You'll only have ONE 1st car in your life.

Kind of like "you can't make old friends".
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006 - 10:16:06 AM »

If you really have to, and I can see what you mean, why not at least stick with the Mopar camp. I for one will dis-hone you if you change teams.  :lol: :grinno:  I'm not sure what a "GN" is but what about a mid 80's/90's Dodge Daytona?

Your Challenger is a beast and you don't get enough recognition (here or else where) for what you've done to your cars. Hopefully Mopar Muscle do another "Young Guns" on you and your car.  ;)

What about a SSR/T(?) Ram, the 2wd Ute looking things? They're quite cool and different. I've been thinking about selling Lucy in a few years time to help secure my first house so know how you feel. Though, I doubt I could sell her.....would have to be for something major. All I'll say is I won't say I'll "never" sell her....things change.

Cheers,
Carl

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

71challengher

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006 - 10:17:01 AM »
 :iagree: I can't even begin to list all the Mopars I regret selling. I would never say I'm glad I sold that car, except for the 74 Ruster. :roflsmiley:

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006 - 10:49:00 AM »
I have a 91 Stealth twin turbo 5 speed thats pretty fun to drive...was thinkin of selling it. They are easily modded to run 11's...out of the box high 13's. AWD and AWS make it feel like it's glued to the road.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006 - 11:36:20 AM »
Nick, I've been throwing the idea around here with my project also.  I'm kind of sick of just knowing it's sitting without any progress being done while I'm away, but I've had enough people tell me to keep it as it'll be there when I'm out (another 1 1/2 yrs. hopefully), so we'll see how things go.  GNX's are pretty cool, but I'm with Larry on this one...Maybe look into a Stealth RT/TT between '91-'93 and have some fun with that.  I have a dealer out looking for one for me right now as they're great cars and you can get them pretty cheap for the performance they're capable of. (basically just a Mitsubishi 3000GT, but you get the Dodge emblems, so you still technically have a MoPar. :biggrin:)
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006 - 11:52:20 AM »
Where did we go wrong??  :roflsmiley:  Just kidding Nick.  That chally's been in the c-c.com family for a long time and I think we all would hate to see it go.  But, do what makes you happy...life's too short.  Just don't do anything you'll regret.
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006 - 12:58:39 PM »
:iagree: You'll only have ONE 1st car in your life.

:iagree:  Once it's gone, you might  :banghead:.

You have to really think about what you want and if you have the means.  If you can keep this car and pick up a new toy, then great.  But if you can't swing both, you have to see what you want. 

Why is it that you only drove it 3 times?  Too loud?  Too much gas? 

Do you want something that handles?  Quieter?

Before I thoughts of selling my Challenger to get an NSX (My wife was all for that!  :roflsmiley: ) but my son said, "Don't sell Super Blue!  It's special!"   I admit it, I have some rice in me and I love to carve corners.

He made sense.  There will always be NSXs around but it's tough to find a good Challenger, especially one that you have a history with.

But in the end, the decision is yours.  If you really want a different car I'm sure there's someone that'll really appreciate your car.  It's real nice!

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006 - 01:54:11 PM »
My big question is what is going to be different?  I mean you hate to see the Chally sitting but what will prevent you from having the GN (or anything else) sit just the same? 
Is it the operating cost of the Chally that prevents you from taking a drive and enjoying her?  Do you think a GN il be cheaper to operate?
Is it just the noise level?

I'm unsure of your real motive.  For me if I have a car sitting it means I have no time right now and a different car will not create time for me (unless it is a Delorean :roflsmiley:).
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006 - 01:57:31 PM »
Guys thanks for replying. its a very hard decision but im leaning heavily towards selling. Its not just a winter time thing, for the past 2 years i have had thoughts. As far as getting a stealth or 3000GT, they have alot of recalls /electrical problems I've heard and seen. Transfer cases,etc. Expensive to mod and insurance would be big $$$$.

Putting more money into my car is not an option.

"Why is it that you only drove it 3 times?"  Too loud? YES   Too much gas?  YES

Do you want something that handles? YES   Quieter? YES

And i dont want something that stands out. i want a sinister looking low key car that scoots the mail, tune it on a laptop be able to cruize down the freeway 75+ mph with the a/c on.

Im sure ill miss my car dearly but for how often i use it, i can do without...I can always build another one..  :faint: