Author Topic: New Project  (Read 26756 times)

Offline gb70

Re: New Project
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2007 - 04:15:47 PM »
  Things are progressing along nicely. I know you sent the car out to be stripped but are your using a local shop for the rest. If so I need to get ahold of you and get more info on the 71--and check your chally out. I just got mine out last week and might take it out this  Sat. for a little spin. Still need to get your address so I will e-mail you.  Doug

Hi Doug,

I have only lived in Idaho now for almost 3 years and since all of my contacts are back in California I decided to have it painted there.  It is in a body/paint shop in Diamond Springs, CA, and they do a lot of Mopars. 

Here are some recent pics.  The painting will begin this week.  FY1 Yellow soon.

Before poxy primer.

Epoxy Primer

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007 - 04:20:37 PM by gb70 »

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2007 - 06:25:41 PM »
All of these projects and none are painted yet. I think that is one of those milestone points where you start getting some gratification - Great Work.

Offline gb70

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2007 - 06:58:33 AM »
All of these projects and none are painted yet. I think that is one of those milestone points where you start getting some gratification - Great Work.

75% or more of the time (labor) goes into getting it ready to paint color.   Stripping it, repairing metal, adding panels, primer, blocking, blocking, and more blocking.  All of that has to be 2/3 or more of the work.  Having color is like you made it through the hardest times,  If done right, it is well worth the effort.  Paint color FY1 Yellow is getting sprayed this week.  Pics to come soon. 

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2007 - 07:08:48 AM »
Looks Great Man, I can't wait for it to be painted. Can you take pictures in California before bringing it all the way back to Idaho ??? I just can't wait.

Offline gb70

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2007 - 07:16:45 AM »
Looks Great Man, I can't wait for it to be painted. Can you take pictures in California before bringing it all the way back to Idaho ??? I just can't wait.

A good freind of mine who is helping me with the project has a shop just 100 yards or so from the paint shop.  He has been snapping all of the pics so far.  He was away on business last week and was told that the jams would have been painted while he was away.  The shop was saying that it should be painted this week. 

I feel the same way, can't way to see the color go down.  We moved to Idaho about 2 /2 years ago and have not heard or could find a reccomended shop to do the body and paint.  This shop in CA does alot of Mopars, so with all the metal work that it needed I am glad that they did the work. 

Offline gb70

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2007 - 05:48:07 PM »

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2007 - 08:00:55 PM »
Very cool!! :grinyes:  That's a big step getting everything squared away for paint. (So much prep work involved to finally lay some paint on the body panels.)  Congrats! :clapping:  The rest shouldn't be too bad from here on. :cheers: :thumbsup:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline gb70

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2007 - 08:14:55 PM »
Thanks.  I agree it is a big step forward.  Alot of the hard work is done and now the fun begins. 

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2007 - 08:20:54 AM »
Wow the FY1 looks great  :drool: can't wait to get to your point. Keep the pics coming :2thumbs:

Lunch
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007 - 08:48:56 PM by Lunchbox »

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2007 - 10:49:33 AM »
Wow the YY1 looks great  :drool: can't wait to get to your point. Keep the pics coming :2thumbs:

Lunch

:iagree:

:drool: :droolingbounce: :picture:

Man that looks awesome! 

Offline gb70

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2007 - 06:53:03 AM »
Hood got shot today

Today it goes into the ulpolstery shop for vynyl top, and headliner.

Offline gb70

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2007 - 11:00:59 AM »

Going out to get the vynyl top and headline put in.

Thank you to a member here that supplied me with the correct carborator.  I sent it out to get restored.  Here is 2 pics of it afterwards.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007 - 05:08:06 PM by gb70 »

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2007 - 06:12:39 PM »
  That is going to be one sweet looking chally. Yellow & black is my favorite color combo on challengers. Can't wait to see it up close and get some pictures--- when do you think you will get it back home?   Doug

Offline gb70

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2007 - 06:57:23 PM »
  That is going to be one sweet looking chally. Yellow & black is my favorite color combo on challengers. Can't wait to see it up close and get some pictures--- when do you think you will get it back home?   Doug

Hey Doug,

I am hoping in 2-3 months.  So much has been done and ready to go in or on the car up to this point.  The drive train has all been rebuilt, all the trim is polished, new seat covers, interior parts, A/C equipment is ready, the correct rally dash is getting completed this week, I just located a rim blow steering wheel I will need to have restored but lined up, so many parts.... the list is long but every detail and every part will be or has been restored.  As for the color combo, I completely agree, something about a yellow on black muscle car esp a Challenger that is an RT and SE combined.  Truly a dream car for me.  I think that the color contrast is dramatic.  I have always have had 4 speeds and this will be my first automatic muscle car but I am looking forward to it. 

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2007 - 06:56:49 PM »
Ok  gb....Looking with interest on this thread now.  I am not too far behind you...........Wonder who will get theirs running first!! :burnout: :burnout:  David
Dave or David