New Project

Author Topic: New Project  (Read 26719 times)

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
Re: New Project
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2007 - 03:10:38 PM »
   That car is looking like it is getting close to being done. Any better idea of when you will get it home? Can't wait to check it out up close   :picture:    Doug

Offline gb70

« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2007 - 05:47:48 PM »
I will keep you informed but I am thinking less than 3 months.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2007 - 08:06:29 PM »
Wow, awesome!   :drool:

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2007 - 09:51:32 PM »
Hey Greg.   Time is not on our side...............Mine is slow to develop too.  I am still waiting for my paint guy to denib mine so I can proceed.  And he still has to paint the rear valance too.
Dave or David

Offline gb70

« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2007 - 11:24:09 PM »
Hey Greg.   Time is not on our side...............Mine is slow to develop too.  I am still waiting for my paint guy to denib mine so I can proceed.  And he still has to paint the rear valance too.

Hi David,

I am hoping that the new fenders come soon.  In the mean time I wait.  Look forward to seeing yours soon.

Offline scf100

• FAST LANE FOREVER!
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2007 - 06:38:35 AM »
I have your twin......mine was built Sept 69 and should have a bumble bee stripe and black vinyl roof........great work!
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 383…. 4-speed…3.91 suregrip

Triple Black

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2007 - 11:59:46 AM »
What you mean.......new fenders.........??   Whats wrong with the ones on there now..? That means you will have to repaint them too.......... :faint:
Dave or David

Offline gb70

« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2007 - 12:50:49 PM »
Goodmark came out with the so called factory correct fenders for '70 Challengers.  My guy ordered one of the first pairs and the body shop was very impressed with the fit, etc.  Time passes and one day my guy that is helping me with the project sees that the lines in the lower fenders don't look right.  He ask his rep where he ordered these from to come take a look.  Turns out that the lines are wrong and that the company, Goodmark, had tons of these out there on cars, and on the open market, for sale.  Rumor has it that Goddmark called China, where they are getting made, and found out that the die being used for them is wrong and this factory in China has been stamping them out this way.  Goodmark signed off on the die but did not catch it for some reason and my guy was the first to notice it.   His rep told him that the new correct ones are now on a boat on their way to us here in the USA. When we get ours we will get the correct ones painted and placed on.  From what I have learned Goodmark was in panic mode when they first learned about this problem.  Since the body shop did not catch it they will be painting and installing the new ones free to us.  I have also learned that Goodmark will do very little other than replace the bad ones for the good ones so if the shops want to charge for the work the end user will be out.  IMO the right thing for Goodmark to do is have a factory recall notice and replace all of them.  We all know why they are being silent $   :money:  $   :misbehaving:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007 - 12:54:38 PM by gb70 »

Offline Triple Black hemi

« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2007 - 01:20:47 PM »
Looks awesome...great job on the resto!   :thumbsup:

Offline scf100

• FAST LANE FOREVER!
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2007 - 02:23:00 PM »
wow, can you post pics of the fenders side by side so all can see the dif?
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 383…. 4-speed…3.91 suregrip

Triple Black

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2007 - 02:23:32 PM »
Goodmark came out with the so called factory correct fenders for '70 Challengers.  My guy ordered one of the first pairs and the body shop was very impressed with the fit, etc.  Time passes and one day my guy that is helping me with the project sees that the lines in the lower fenders don't look right.  He ask his rep where he ordered these from to come take a look.  Turns out that the lines are wrong and that the company, Goodmark, had tons of these out there on cars, and on the open market, for sale.  Rumor has it that Goddmark called China, where they are getting made, and found out that the die being used for them is wrong and this factory in China has been stamping them out this way.  Goodmark signed off on the die but did not catch it for some reason and my guy was the first to notice it.   

OK so we have heard all about this already but does anyone have pics of the problem area? Is it easy to fix?  What about the bad fenders, are they going to sell cheaper or just be sent back and scrapped?

Offline gb70

« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2007 - 03:20:30 PM »
I will post some pics to show you what I looks like but you will have to wait till next week when I get some to post.  It can be fixed but you are talking about metal removal and welding and some filler.  Not sure if Goodmark will sell the bad ones cheaper? 

Offline gb70

« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2007 - 03:21:55 PM »

Next week I will post some pics of the bad ones but have no good ones to go side by side.  BTW, will check that VIN soon and email about if we are twins.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2007 - 12:56:26 AM »
Next week I will post some pics of the bad ones but have no good ones to go side by side.  BTW, will check that VIN soon and email about if we are twins.

Thanks!!

Offline gb70

« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2007 - 09:55:40 PM »

Here you go.  Can you believe that they are selling this stuff?  Look at the bottom line on the fender as it meets the line on the door.

Good old one below:

Bad new one below:  notice the bottom line as it goes to the line on the door.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007 - 09:58:28 PM by gb70 »