Wikipedia Entry - Dodge Challenger

Author Topic: Wikipedia Entry - Dodge Challenger  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
Wikipedia Entry - Dodge Challenger
« on: November 29, 2006 - 02:18:09 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Challenger

Here is the Wikipedia entry for the Dodge Challenger. Pretty pathetic, no? Think you can do better? Then here is your chance to prove it. Please provide edits to the entry IN THIS THREAD, NOT ON WIKIPEDIA ITSELF.

First, copy and paste the section you would like to edit. Then, post your corrections/elaborations/additional information in a formal, encyclopedia format. We will be compiling these edits at the beginning of the thread, and will, in the near future, use them to replace and greatly improve the Wikipedia entry.

THIS IS THE WIKIPEDIA ENTRY AS OF 4:07pm EST, Nov. 29, 2006:

Dodge Challenger is the name of three different automobile models marketed by the Dodge division of the Chrysler Corporation since the 1970s.

--Contents--
1 First generation (1970-1974)
1.1 Engines
1.2 Performance
1.3 Collector's value
2 Second generation (1978-1983)
3 Third generation (2008-)
4 Popular culture
4.1 Film appearances
4.2 TV appearances
4.3 Music videos
4.4 Video game appearances
4.5 Book appearances
5 See also
6 References
7 External links

===First generation (1970-1974)===
--First model--

Production: 1970-1974
Class: Pony car
Platform: FR E-body
Engine: 225 in³ Slant 6 I6
318 in³ LA V8
340 in³ LA V8
360 in³ LA V8
383 in³ B V8
426 in³ Hemi V8
440 in³ RB V8
Transmission: 4-speed manual
3-speed TorqueFlite automatic
Related: Plymouth Barracuda
Similar: Ford Mustang
Chevrolet Camaro
Designer: Carl Cameron
The first Challenger was the division's late entrant to the pony car market segment in the United States, launched for the 1970 model year.

It was strongly based on the similar Plymouth Barracuda's new E-body but with two inches (51 mm) of extra wheelbase and somewhat different outer sheetmetal. Exterior design was done by Carl "CAM'" Cameron, whom also did the exterior for the 1966 Dodge Charger. For the 1970 Challenger grille, CAM' based it off of an older sketch of his of a 1966 Charger prototype that was designed to have a turbine engine. The Charger never got the turbine, but the Challenger got that car's grille. Although the Challenger was well-received by the public (with 80,000 sales in 1970 alone), it was criticized by the press, and the pony car segment was already declining by the time the Challenger arrived. Challenger production ceased after the 1974 model year, only having lasted five years; performance dropped off dramatically after the 1971 models. About 165,500 Challengers were sold over this model's lifespan.

--Engines--
Engine choices included the following:

225 in³ (3.7 L) Slant 6: 1970-1972
318 in³ (5.2 L) LA V8: 1970-1974
340 in³ (5.6 L) LA V8: 1970-1973
360 in³ (5.9 L) LA V8: 1974
383 in³ (6.3 L) B V8: 1970-1971
440 in³ (7.2 L) RB V8: 1970-1971. Available in Magnum 4-barrel carbureted form (developing 375 bhp (280 kW)) or Six-Pack (3 × 2-barrel carburetors and 390 bhp/490 ft.lbf) form
426 in³ (7.0 L) Hemi V8: 1970-1971. 425 bhp (317 kW)/490 ft.lbf, costing an extra US$1,228, and very few sold.

--Performance--
340  : 14.8 @ 96mph
340 T/A  : 14.4 @ 97mph
383  : 15.1 @ 93mph
440 Magnum R/T  : 13.9 @ 101mph
440 Six-Pack  : 13.8 @ 104mph
426 Hemi  : 13.6 @ 105mph
For obvious reasons, the 440 and the 426 Hemi engines were considered the most desirable, and nowadays command sizeable premiums over the smaller engines.

Challengers could either be hardtop coupes or convertibles (through 1971 only). The performance model was the R/T (Road/Track), available in both body styles; both standard and R/T hardtops could be ordered as the more luxurious SE specification, which included leather seats, a vinyl roof and a smaller 'formal' rear window. The convertible Challenger was only available as an R/T in 1970. In 1972, Dodge dropped the R/T badging and now called it the "Rallye". Other options, as well as engines and a manual transmission, included steeper rear axle ratios, a limited-slip differential, and a shaker hood scoop were gone for 1972.

A 1970-only model was the Dodge Challenger T/A (Trans Am) racing homologation car, which used a specially tuned Six-Pack version of the 340 in³ (5.6 L) engine, topped with a giant hood scoop on a fiberglass hood. 'Megaphone' exhaust outlets were fitted in front of the rear wheels. These cars came standard with front and rear sway bars to enhance handling. Unusually, different-sized wheels were fitted front and back, with very fat rubber on the rear. The T/A also came with a rear ducktail spoiler and front ground effect spoilers as standard equipment.

By 1972, all big-block engines were gone, maximum power was down to 240 hp, and production ceased in mid-1974.

Although the body style remained the same throughout the 5 year run, there were two notable changes to the front grille. 1971 models had a more stylized "split" grille, and the final manipulation coming in 1972, with the incorporation of the "sad-mouth" design. With this change to the front end, 1972 through 1974 models had little to no variation. The only way to properly distinguish said models is by the front and rear "bumperettes" which exponentially increased in size during each consecutive year. These changes were made to meet US regulations regarding crash test safety.

The 1970 taillights went all the way across the back of the car, with the backup light in the middle of the rear. In 1971, the backup lights were on the left and right instead of the middle. The taillight array also changed for 1972 onwards, with the Challenger now having four individual lamps similar to the mid-size Mercurys of the time.

--Collector's value--
As the Chrysler E-body line reaches legendary proportions, so too do the prices to buy them. 1970 and 1971 models tend to generate more attention from potential (and usually deep pocketed) buyers, as the performance and style options had not yet been toned down. However, with the popularity of these vehicles on the increase, coupled with the number of useable and restorable Challengers being on the decrease, many collectors have begun looking towards the later models to create their own customizable dream machines. Indeed, many "clones" of the more visceral 1970 and 1971 Challengers have been created by using 1972 through 1974 donors; The front and rear grilles/bumpers on these vehicles are easily interchangeable. However, the tail panel is not so easy to change, since the 1970 and 1971 tail panels are quite different from the 1972 to 1974 models.

Today they are considered one of the most sought-after muscle cars of all time. The rarity of specific models and combinations today is primarily the result of low buyer interest and production at the time.

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
Re: Wikipedia Entry - Dodge Challenger
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006 - 02:18:36 PM »
Continued:

===Second generation (1978-1983)===
Second model
Production: 1978-1983
Class: Sports car
Engine: 1.6 L 4G32 I4
2.6 L 4G54 I4
Related: Mitsubishi Galant Lambda
Plymouth Sapporo
See Mitsubishi Galant Lambda for more information
The Challenger name was revived in 1978 for a version of the early Mitsubishi Galant Lambda coupe, known overseas as the Mitsubishi Sapporo and sold through Dodge dealers as a captive import, identical except in color and minor trim to the Plymouth Sapporo. Although mechanically identical, the Dodge version emphasized sportiness, with bright colors and tape stripes, and the Plymouth on luxury with more subdued trim. Both cars were sold until 1983, until being replaced by the Conquest and Daytona.

The car retained the frameless hardtop styling of the old Challenger, but had only a four-cylinder engine and was a long way in performance from its namesake. Nevertheless, it acquired a reputation as a reasonably brisk performer of its type, not least because of its available 2.6 L engine, exceptionally large for a four-cylinder. Four-cylinder engines of this size had not usually been built due to inherent vibration, but Mitsubishi pioneered the use of balance shafts to help damp this out, and the Challenger was one of the first vehicles to bring this technology to the American market; it has since been licensed to many other manufacturers.

===Third generation (2008-)===
 This article or section contains information about a scheduled or anticipated future automobile.

It may contain information of a tentative nature which may change significantly as the vehicle nears production and more information becomes available.

Third model

Production: 2008-
Class: Pony car
Platform: FR LC
Related: Dodge Charger
Chrysler 300
Dodge Magnum
Similar: Ford Mustang

A new "retro" Dodge Challenger concept car was shown at the 2006 North American International Auto Show. The concept uses a shortened LX platform, has the 6.1 L Hemi V8 coupled to a manual transmission, and borrows many styling cues from the original 1970 model. On July 1, 2006, prior to the Pepsi 400 at the Daytona International Speedway, Dodge announced that this concept would, in fact, be made for the 2008 model year.[1] It will be built on the Chrysler LC platform, which is the shortend version of the Chrysler LX platform in 2008, similar to the concepts platform. The rear-wheel drive performance coupe will be a direct competitor to the hugely-successful Ford Mustang, as well as to the potential future Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac GTO muscle cars. The Challenger will be made in limited numbers on the same line as the Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, and Dodge Magnum, as the same flexible manufacturing system that allows the Jeep Commander and Jeep Grand Cherokee to be built on the same line, as well as the Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass, and Jeep Patriot, one after the other (instead of in batches). The SRT-8 Challenger will feature the 6.1 L Hemi V8 as standard equipment. Both manual and automatic transmissions will be offered. There will be no other model for 2008, others may be added in 2009.

===Popular culture===

--Film appearances--
Vanishing Point (1971) : 1970 Challenger R/T - IMDB
Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) : 1973 Dodge Challenger (fictitious R/T w/bumblebee stripe, both unavailable since 1970) - IMDB
Natural Born Killers (1994) : 1970 Challenger R/T convertible - IMDB
Terminal Velocity (1994) : 1970 Challenger R/T - IMDB
Drive (1997) : 1970 Challenger - IMDB
Vanishing Point Remake (1997) : 1970 Challenger R/T - IMDB
2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) : 1970 Challenger R/T - IMDB
Just Married (2003) : 1970 Challenger - IMDB
Viper (1996) : 1972 Challenger - IMDB

--TV appearances--
Mannix (1973) : 1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye [2]

--Music videos--
Audioslave - "Show Me How To Live" : 1970 Challenger R/T
Iron Maiden - "The Wicker Man" : 1970 Challenger R/T

--Video game appearances--
Need For Speed: Carbon (2006) : 2008 Challenger and 1971 Challenger
Gran Turismo HD (2006) : 1971 Dodge Challenger and 2008 Dodge Challenger

--Book appearances--
Needful Things (1991) : 70's Challenger. A souped-up, lime-green Dodge Challenger from the 70's era appears as the car driven by notorious hood John "Ace" Merrill.

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006 - 02:56:20 PM »
Unusually, different-sized wheels were fitted front and back, with very fat rubber on the rear

As far as I know, the wheels were the same front-to-back.  The tires were different, E60-15 front and G60-15 rear.  And I think the term "ground effects" is misleading, given what ground effects were in the '80s.  I believe the front "chin" spoilers were optional, anyway (as they were on any Challenger).

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006 - 04:31:44 PM »
"Challengers could either be hardtop coupes or convertibles"

Should read "Challengers could either be hardtops, coupes or convertibles. (The A93 package turned the hardtop into a coupe with fixed rear side windows)

"Similar: Ford Mustang"

The Challenger was actually more similar to the Mercury Cougar, they actually had a Couger in the design studio when working on the Challenger    drawings and clay models.

"The convertible Challenger was only available as an R/T in 1970."

The convertible was available with any engine in 1970 except the 340-6. In 1971 The convertible was not available in an R/T though.

"Unusually, different-sized wheels were fitted front and back, with very fat rubber on the rear. The T/A also came with a rear ducktail spoiler and front ground effect spoilers as standard equipment"

This is wrong as well (as stated above) the wheels were the same size, but the rear tires were wider. The front spoilers were an option on the T/As, not standard.

Barry

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006 - 04:39:31 PM »
--Film appearances--

Born on the Fourth of July - 1970 Challenger T/A

Offline KFD

• I'm big in Japan!
  • Owner, sweet pistolgrip shift handle.
    • Kelly's Cars
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006 - 04:56:46 PM »
Who did Wikipedia get some of their info from...Allpar.com! Woot-Woot!!
TV appearance: Medical Center, 1969-1972
Film Appearance: Drop Zone
190 C.I. Slant-Six '70-'71 Deputy option
Aprilia RSV 1000. Ask the man who owns one!

sleepychallenger

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006 - 05:03:43 PM »
what do they mean "somewhat different outter sheetmetal" than the barracuda? i could have sworn that nothing is the same? thats just me though. same e-body platform but what else?

This is better from the Barracuda from wikipedia
"It also had a Dodge near-twin known as the Challenger; however, not one body panel interchanged between the two cars and the Challenger had a slightly longer wheelbase"
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006 - 05:12:12 PM by sleepychallenger »

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006 - 05:10:02 PM »
198 was the base engine for the A93 cars.

Barry

71challengher

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006 - 07:48:46 PM »
Wasn't there a blue Challenger vert in The Brady Bunch :dunno:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006 - 07:54:24 PM »
Barracuda for the Brady's I think.

Barry

Offline KFD

• I'm big in Japan!
  • Owner, sweet pistolgrip shift handle.
    • Kelly's Cars
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006 - 09:10:56 PM »
I want to say in '71, yes...I can't remember if its a 'cuda, chally, or both through the season...In '70 it was a big 300 or New Yorker boat that actually had more camera time on the "Beverly Hillbillies". Greg Bulinger had the car, and he let me drive it when I was 16 or 17. Man, that boat was nice! Chrysler Over-power steering and brakes! Crumpled up piece of paper thrown at the brake pedal would cause the tires to chirp, and you could steer that thing with your pinkie...
190=198...Typo...Good eye Barry!
Aprilia RSV 1000. Ask the man who owns one!

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006 - 12:09:40 PM »
I thought I remember seeing a Chally in Lucky Number Sleven along with a bunch of other hot muscle cars.  They were sitting in the parking lot of the horse racing track.

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006 - 03:16:28 PM »
I thought I remember seeing a Chally in Lucky Number Sleven along with a bunch of other hot muscle cars.  They were sitting in the parking lot of the horse racing track.

I noticed that, too!  There was a Challenger (blue, I think) and I think a red Charger next to it.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006 - 06:37:03 PM »
A Black 71 R/T was in Rascal Flatts music video "My worst fear"

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006 - 10:11:06 AM »
Matt...are you going to update these and post them in Wikipedia?
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!