Cuda project questions

Author Topic: Cuda project questions  (Read 823 times)

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
Cuda project questions
« on: November 29, 2006 - 04:25:28 PM »
I'm about to purchase another project but this time I think it's going to be a Cuda. I stuck between doing a 71 Cuda clone or a 70 AAR. I think I'm leaning towards the 71. That being said I need some advice. If I build a clone 71 would it be better to start with a 70/71 or 72/74 body. I know a few things factor in like resale but I'm looking more towards the overall cost.

Does it make sense to start with a 72-74 to save on the front end costs ? I'm also looking to build a driver clone not an exact replica. That being said I don't care if it  has a 7k tach and other non 70/71 items. Any thoughts ?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Cuda project questions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006 - 04:33:52 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I follow.   :banghead:

If you want to make a 72-74 Cuda into a 70-71, won't you have to pay big $$$ for the front fenders and grill? I'm not sure buying a later year Cuda would save you anything.   :clueless: Also, you would have to modify the tail panel. It sounds like alot of work, but if you get a 72-74 Cuda cheap enough...  :naughty:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline MoparMan440

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006 - 04:58:56 PM »
Normally the fenders require work or replacement including the rear quarters. That being said that was a cost I figured I would have anyway. As for the rear tail panel I've seen them for a decent price and the labor is free  ;D so why not. 

With the 71 grill I stuck that in the same department as needed replacement or missing. Most 71 projects I've seen the owners have already sold the grill or keeping it. Maybe I've been looking at the wrong projects.   :clueless:

Offline moparnocar

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006 - 07:10:21 PM »
I have to say first this is just an opinion.. I am sorry if my views are taken the wrong way.. I love E-bodies and my beliefs are u should not even consider a 72-74 and convert it all. I think u should try to find a 70-71 that's needing a resto.. Reason being other people are wanting cuda and challengers and pricing for those are starting to sky rocket so they settle more towards 72-74.. I don't know maybe that's your case to.. but if it were I, I would save more work starting with a 70-71. I think someone converting 72-74 to 70-71 is wrong by doing so. some try to even hide it was converted also seem not to bring the value as a real one. Again just my views.  But whatever u do, I think its awesome you'll be saving another E-body..

Offline Four-Forty-fied

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006 - 07:32:37 PM »
Coming from someone that made a 70 from a 74, I would say save up for the 70 or 71.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=24142.msg236297#msg236297

If I had to do it over again, saving up for the 70 is what I'd do. However, the car came out great. Only an extremely trained eye would be able to tell the difference, and parts and labor only added about $5000. (That's w/o the paint job, which was going to happen in any case.) I might have saved a bit of money, but it was a hassle, and probably will be a hassle for quite some time. The NYPD auto crime unit pounced on it thinking I was going to change the VIN, many enthusiasts (such as moparnocar) scoff for obvious reasons, and I'm sure that most people will suspect I did if for nefarious reasons.

I came into the Mopar world via their full size 4WD trucks. Anything goes there as far as mixing and matching and modifying. I put a ‘93 grille on my ’85 Ram. My ’74 Power Wagon has a ’79 grille. I just took mentality with me when I got into the muscle cars. Now I’m a bit more indoctrinated, but it’s too late for my Barracuda.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006 - 07:34:32 PM by Four-Forty-fied »

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006 - 08:04:21 PM »
MoparMan440, I'd say look into a '70/'71 and the the appropriate car from those years.  I've watched a couple of these conversions take place on here and it looks like the overall cost to convert any car to another year frame ends up costing around the same for buying the year you'd be trying to replicate. :2thumbs: :cheers:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline MoparMan440

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006 - 08:13:19 PM »
Thanks fpr the input. It's not really a cost issue as I'm willing to shell out the extra $$ for a 70/71 body.  My concern was over value/bang for the buck. Since I'm not overly concerned with resale I started thinking maybe I could save a few $$ to put towards something else.

Four-Forty-fied thanks for the info. Your car looks great ! I know people around here did the conversion that why I  posted the question. Sometimes conversions sound easy until you start one. I was leaning towards a 70/71 anyway but I felt I had to ask. Thanks guys !

Offline MoparMan440

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006 - 08:18:16 PM »
Hey Street, thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure I'm going that direction but just had to ask  ;D.  I've been shopping lately and it got me thinking that's all.

kudakidd

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006 - 08:36:20 AM »
Coming from someone that made a 70 from a 74, I would say save up for the 70 or 71.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=24142.msg236297#msg236297

If I had to do it over again, saving up for the 70 is what I'd do.

Wow, that's quite a job. :worshippy

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006 - 08:08:43 PM »
Moparman....take it from someone who's bought and sold a LOT of Mopars...the 72-4 converted to a 70-71 will not bring you good $$ on a resale. If you are looking down the road and know you'll sell the car someday, start with the 70-71.The beating you take on a 72-4 made into a 71-70 on resale will kill any savings you have up front on the purchase.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006 - 08:38:55 PM »

Definitely seek a 70/71 car, has a few correct features to start with fender signals etc.
Like all of the above, your resale will be much improved if you start with the correct year vehicle.  :2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline MoparMan440

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006 - 09:22:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I have decided I'll focus on a 70/71 only. Long term it only seems to make sense. Plus I can focus on a nicer starting point since I won't have to be concerned with the standard conversion stuff. Thanks again for the advice this is what I needed to hear.  :thumbsup: