Author Topic: Grille packing for shipment  (Read 547 times)

Offline duodec

Grille packing for shipment
« on: November 30, 2006 - 12:52:24 AM »
I've got  couple of grilles (Duster) needing shipping, preferably by UPS or FedEX, not by truck.  Both used, so no original packaging available.  I have  two boxes, 12x12x64 that are more than large enough, 200 pound test.  I also have some heavy 1" thick corrugated cardboard corner protectors that came on a large computer rack that I think can serve the same purpose as a board as a solid mount for the grille in the box (they unfold to a 10" wide flat "plank"); I have enough to put one top and bottom of the grille.  I also have a lot of heavy 1/4" thick corner reinforcing cardboard to use outside the boxes.

I think if I wrap the grille bottom in foam or bubble wrap, strap it (bottom) to one of the thick cardboard panels (64" long, grille centered about 4" free space at each end), slide it in the box, fill it with packing peanuts, then glue the outside reinforcements to the 64" long corners, that the grille would be adequately protected.  I'd rather not try to build a crate and definitely don't want to pay for one.

Should that be sufficient?  That would give 4" of packing peanuts at each end and 3 to 4" of peanuts around three sides of the grille, and the full 1" of corrugated cardboard underneath.  The cardboard plank will keep the grille centered.

Thanks!

Rich

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
Re: Grille packing for shipment
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006 - 12:58:44 AM »
That sounds like it'd work, but only how well the carriers take care of the shipping will decide if it were to break or not.  You'd think with that much packing peanuts it would be alright, though. :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006 - 12:07:41 PM »
Sounds ok to me too.  I usually built crates out of wood to ship grills.   :grinyes:

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006 - 10:26:16 AM »
Take the grille and put it into a plastic bag.  Then put the bag into a crate.  Fill the crate with a couple of cans of expandible foam.  The grille will get there without breaking even if it falls off the truck. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.