Author Topic: Electric fuel pump setup  (Read 732 times)

Offline hdcrazyhombre

Electric fuel pump setup
« on: December 03, 2006 - 12:18:18 PM »
All,

I just switched from a failed mechanical fuel pump to an electric procomp "black" series pump, regulator and fram fuel filter.  I located the filter in-between my stock gas tank and the rear frame rail mounted pump.  Regulator is in the engine bay.

Problem:  Not getting any gas to the regulator.  I've read from the other posts that the electric pumps are for pushing and not sucking, but how does the fuel get from the tank to the pump to even push it up the line?

With these pumps, do you have to use a fuel cell to make it gravity fed?  Or does it need to be primed before it can pull gas out of the tank and push it down the line?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Electric fuel pump setup
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006 - 12:30:14 PM »
Sounds like you have it pretty well sorted out.  Might need to prime the pump first, the electric ones won't hardly pull air.  What I have done in the past is open your gas fill cap and with a rag to help seal it, use pressurized air from a compressor and try and put a little pressure in the tank to push the fuel to the pump while it is running.  Once the pump has the fuel picked up, it should be good to go....     :cooldancing:     
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006 - 01:07:16 PM »
They tell you to mount the fuel pump lower than the outlet from the sending unit, so that the gas just flows downward. Is that what you did?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline hdcrazyhombre

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006 - 01:20:04 PM »
Yeah, I located the pump on the passenger side frame rail.  The air pressure in the tank did the trick to prime the system.  Thanks oldschool.  Runs like a raped ape now without fuel starvation as it had before.

Thanks again.  :cheers:

Tim

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006 - 01:24:51 PM »
Yeah, I located the pump on the passenger side frame rail.  The air pressure in the tank did the trick to prime the system.  Thanks oldschool.  Runs like a raped ape now without fuel starvation as it had before.

Thanks again.  :cheers:

Tim

Glad it worked for you...   :ylsuper:    Now go whip up on some ricers for us.....    :burnout:   :cooldancing: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"