Author Topic: 71 Challenger R/T convertible  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Beep Beep Dave

• Maple Leaf Mopars
Re: 71 Challenger R/T convertible
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006 - 05:28:46 PM »
Did anything ever come of the rumor that there was one 1971 Hemi Challenger ragtop made? I heard something about it being in Alaska :dunno: I never seen any proof...just curious if anyone else ever heard of it? Sorry to hi-jack your thread!

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars  Canadian Mopar site.
'70 Charger R/T
'69-1/2 Super Bee

If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one - Cavett Robert 

Offline triple_green

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006 - 06:01:20 PM »
Hi Mike,

The 69 R/T SE did not sell. I had a guy stringing me along, but then he never came thru.

I'm still thinking about taking it to Memory Lane Motors.

Dave,

I thought I remembered reading there were 3 or 4  71 hemi Challenger convertibles.
1968 Charger triple green 383 HP all orignal restoration numbers match

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006 - 07:51:10 PM »
Dave,
That one goes back a few years. Suposedly it had a JH27R1B VIN, so not an R/T......

It was advertised in an old SIAC newsletter for sale. It listed an Anchorage, Alaska street address. A few years ago I had a pal that lives there run over to that part of town, no such address.....

It appears to have been posted as a prank.

Barry

Offline Beep Beep Dave

• Maple Leaf Mopars
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006 - 08:13:06 PM »
Dave,
That one goes back a few years. Suposedly it had a JH27R1B VIN, so not an R/T......

It was advertised in an old SIAC newsletter for sale. It listed an Anchorage, Alaska street address. A few years ago I had a pal that lives there run over to that part of town, no such address.....

It appears to have been posted as a prank.

Barry

Throwing us off the scent eh Barry :naughty:
Just kidding  :icon16: with ya
I figured you knew the answer but I didn't want to go over my limit this month already!!!

Dave
'70 Charger R/T
'69-1/2 Super Bee

If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one - Cavett Robert 

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006 - 08:26:44 PM »
I was getting asked about it so much that I had to look into it.  :wave:

Barry

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2006 - 09:05:36 AM »
I haven't heard the name SIAC in a while.  I used to be a member.  I still have their decal on a quarter window.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2006 - 11:54:24 AM »
One of the former SIAC members is sending me his photo albums from the old club meets so I can scan them and add them to the website.  :bananasmi

Offline nakita7

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006 - 12:12:55 AM »
My wife and I bought a Columbo DVD set. Can't remember if it was season 1 or 2. There was a scene where Columbo was sitting in a 71 Challenger RT convertible. It was black with white stripe. Didn't show much, just the door, quarter, top, real quick shot. Rewound it few times to double check, as the car would have been brand new. Weird heh?
72 Charger Rallye (440 auto)
72 Charger Rallye (318 auto)
71 Charger RT

Offline Beep Beep Dave

• Maple Leaf Mopars
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006 - 09:08:08 AM »
My wife and I bought a Columbo DVD set. Can't remember if it was season 1 or 2. There was a scene where Columbo was sitting in a 71 Challenger RT convertible. It was black with white stripe. Didn't show much, just the door, quarter, top, real quick shot. Rewound it few times to double check, as the car would have been brand new. Weird heh?

Hey I like Columbo too...I never seen that one though. In 1971 you could get the R/T side stripe on a regular Challenger (non R/T). Everything was the same except they left off the end with the actual R/T part. There is a purple non-r/t shaker up here that has the same stripe...the guy has pics of it when the original owner had it and it also has the R/T part of the stripe. So maybe there was some sort of mix-up on the assembly line or dealers added the R/T part to make them look "right" :dunno:   

Dave
'70 Charger R/T
'69-1/2 Super Bee

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006 - 09:33:18 AM »
Television has always been a showcase for new or upcoming models.  Maybe Chrysler planned a 71 R/T convertible and striped one that way for the show.  Then the car just never made it into production.  Chrysler planned a 71 T/A also, but never produced it.  Props could have added the R/T stripes the make the car look they way they wanted it to look also.  Either way I would like to know which Columbo episode it was to see it.  Interesting piece of history.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline nakita7

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006 - 12:26:16 AM »
I can't remember which episode it was exactly, and we sold the DVD set already, kinda wish I kept it. I am trying to remember if there was an RT on the stripe or not ???

I'm not 100% but I thought there was, that's why I rewinded it (several times). Also saw a 69 Charger RT in the same season (was pale yellow, I believe) and a real nice GTO, but can't remember the details on that one. Love those old shows, seeing all those 'brand new' Mopars!!!
72 Charger Rallye (440 auto)
72 Charger Rallye (318 auto)
71 Charger RT