Author Topic: inner valve spring removal?  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Four-Forty-fied

inner valve spring removal?
« on: December 05, 2006 - 07:59:01 PM »
I'm getting close to the first firing of my 440. I've been reading procedures like crazy along with the first fire threads here. I realize that I have to take the inner valve springs out for the first fire up, but I've never done it before. The in-car shaft mount rocker valve spring compressor I ordered just arrived today, and I just have to ask this:

What are you supposed to do to prevent the valve from going down when you compress the spring? There's nothing on the (Comp Cams) tool that holds the valve. And once the keeper is out, what prevents the spring from falling into the cylinder?

Offline vinb

• Resident
Re: inner valve spring removal?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006 - 08:34:26 PM »
Compressed Air...Also do you have a double spring or a single with a dampner? If your not running alot of spring pressure I wouldn't worry to much about it..I don't think your going to wipe out the cam....

Offline Four-Forty-fied

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006 - 09:04:43 PM »
Maybe it is just a dampner. The springs are whatever comes with the complete Edelbrock Performer heads p/n 60929. It would be great if I didn't have to go through the hassle of removing the inners for the start up. What constitutes "alot" of spring pressure? Honestly, I don't even know what pressure springs I have right now. Went with a hydraulic cam 240/246 @ .050" nothing too crazy.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006 - 10:16:32 PM »
if the inner spring is a flat wire it is just a damper to keep the spring straight & doesn`t need to be removed if there is a inner round coil inside the flat wire damper you could remove it or take your chances , I would make sure you have EOS or Comp Cams additive in the oil though  for the break in
 I think the Eddy heads come with single springs so you should be good
 if you do have to remove the inner spring you can feed soft rope into the spark plug hole & rotate the engine to hold the vlaves up while the spring is removed
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006 - 10:18:17 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006 - 06:17:30 AM »
There maybe a made for the job item out there but I created an air feed by hollowing out a spark plug & soldering a brass air fitting to it, connect compressor & make sure the piston is down. I had to tap the retainers to break loose from keepers, used a socket & light hammer. Be sure to cover any openings or risk loosing the keepers down into the motor.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Four-Forty-fied

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006 - 05:37:14 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. Went out and took a look. Looks like a flat wire coil to me, and there's no spring inside that. Looks like I'll be firing it up this weekend. Just waiting for my harmonic balancer to come in. (Didn't realize that the first one I ordered was for Hemi pulley spacing or that there was a difference between the Hemi and the 440/383 ones.)

Oh and CP, I ordered some GM EOS too. I had to order it online because of the type of people that work in auto parts stores here. Zinc phosphate? Blew their minds.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006 - 05:45:52 PM »
typical the same guys work around here too ask them a question & :faint: or   :crazy:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006 - 05:52:52 PM »
I had to order it online because of the type of people that work in auto parts stores here. Zinc phosphate? Blew their minds.

Are all those guys related?   LOL   :roflsmiley:   :smilielol: 
You ought to go in and ask for something for a Hemi---they try and tell me that the new Hemi stuff is basically the same as the old and it should fit.  If you ever find a good parts guy, put him on your Christmas list because he is gold.............     :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006 - 05:57:15 PM »
Did a little research, those have 120 seat pressure and 230-250 open. Go for it, start it up.....