Author Topic: Disaster trying to register my barracuda in CT  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
Re: Disaster trying to register my barracuda in CT
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006 - 12:45:43 PM »
At the same time I don't believe this is the level of freedom our forefathers had in mind.

The Framers believed in a devolved system of government, wherein the states, as independent nations, ceeded part of their soverignty to a national government. They gave the federal government control over the military (but not the militias, now the National Guard), the power to tax, to conduct diplomacy, and to provide uniform laws regarding interstate commerce (it is debatable whether or not they have beaten the commerce clause to death yet).

This system allowed the states to make many of their own laws, as evidenced by ammendment 10: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people". These laws include laws for public safety and welfare. John Locke, who the framers based many of their ideas off of, said that the people enter together into a social contract (government) out of the state of nature due to their need for protection.

In other words, the DMV is supposed to be there for public safety. Either the car was so loud that it would have made everyone in the surrounding area deaf... or the DMV officer was a dumbass. Probably the latter.

Offline zerfetzen

• 'Cuda, should'a, would'a...you lost.
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006 - 12:58:55 PM »
In other words, the DMV is supposed to be there for public safety. Either the car was so loud that it would have made everyone in the surrounding area deaf... or the DMV officer was a dumbass. Probably the latter.

I could get into this one, I'm definitely voting for the latter!

:wavingflag:

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006 - 01:43:03 PM »
I could get into this one, I'm definitely voting for the latter!

:wavingflag:
:iagree:
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006 - 01:47:27 PM »
Wow..You went to Wethersfield, eh? I hate Wethersfield...lol. i go to Enfield..It's a longer drive, but they dont mind older cars so much. As far as louder, that's subjective, but you have to please him once, then you can do whatever you want. You must have some sort of cooling issue..I dont see a bad alternator from anitfreeze...It sounds like you may have some "debugging" to do. I have to Xmas tree cut this Saturday, but I could probably swing over eithe Sunday or Monday evening and see what I can help with...I think the inspection is good for 30 days...And they will only look at what it failed for before.  :pullinghair:

Let me tell you what happened for me.  I bought my car in Detroit and needed to register in CT.  I picked up my temp plates paid the fees and went for the VIN check a few days later.  My VIN Check was jsut that, a VIN check.  
At first I was a bit worried because the guy in front of me was doing lights, wipers, horn, etc..  I knew my horn wasn't working and didn't want to mess with the wipers.  Of coruse my exhaust was micky moused together and I was worried about that.
Well the officer signals me to come in, looks at the VIN on the dash, checks computer and then gives me my form back and says all set.   :woohoo: :bananasmi

So the moral of the story anyone registering a car in CT go to ENFIELD!
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006 - 02:36:05 PM »
So the moral of the story anyone registering a car in CT go to ENFIELD!

Thanks MyMopar, I read that one loud and clear.  Now for a few little fix-er-uppers first... :working:

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006 - 04:23:23 PM »
I went to the Winsted DMV and actually was disapointed because the officer only checked the dash vin.I spent some serious time making sure all #s were readible so they wouldn't scrape paint to read em.Plus he liked my car so that helps and I will consider myself lucky.
zerfetzen:What do you need as far as parts go to get that Cuda reg.?I am in the northeast corner of C.T.and will help you out if I can.

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006 - 06:50:07 PM »
I go to a notarist, they are suppose to check the vin, fill out the usual paper work and your done... then get inspection if you have regular or classic plates, antique need done.  Sounds easy cause it is!
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006 - 09:28:21 PM »
zerfetzen:What do you need as far as parts go to get that Cuda reg.?I am in the northeast corner of C.T.and will help you out if I can.

Hi moparclown, thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it, but think I'll be ok.  The issue with the sending unit leaking shouldn't hold me back, I just won't fill it up past a half-tank again until I replace all those goodies back there.  The alternator looks new, but that's pretty cheap, something like $30 at Advance Auto for a refurbished one to get me by til I get a good one.

Question though:
The electric fan for the motor and the blue Holley electric fuel pump drain a lot of battery juice.  Will the 60 amp alternator do the trick, or do I need a better one, like 100 amps, and if so, do I have to protect my electrical system due to the upgrade?

I need to solve my overheating problem before I go, I know that's a must, if I'm going to drive it more than 15 minutes.  Hopefully it's just a thermostat, or worst case scenario nothing more than a water pump.

I haven't mentioned it, but the power steering pump has problems too, I thought it was leaking but wasn't sure, so I filled it up with some Valvoline synthetic treatment for power steering leaks, and when I got home, it looked bone dry...not good.  But these are nothing to sweat either, pretty cheap, and I guess I'll rent a pulley puller.

When I step back from it, everything's about as minor as it gets, but thanks a mil  :2thumbs:

The CT mopar crowd rocks.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006 - 11:19:32 PM »
the heating could be timing also oil press will drop with heat & yes the bypass could have stuck open as well
 I would stuck with a 60 amp alt unless you do a partial bypass on the ammeter

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006 - 07:45:06 AM »
Thanks Chryco, 60 amps it is then.

One other question:

Since this is a '68 440 stuffed in a 74, how do I ask for a power steering pump, I'm guessing I need one for a '68 440, and if they demand the car type, tell them the Chrysler Neuport that it came out of?  Not sure if all that makes a difference.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006 - 07:47:43 AM by zerfetzen »

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006 - 09:18:37 AM »
I would tell them 68 Newport pump.  It is a totally different pump than the 74 440 pump. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.