Author Topic: Disaster trying to register my barracuda in CT  (Read 4592 times)

Offline zerfetzen

• 'Cuda, should'a, would'a...you lost.
Disaster trying to register my barracuda in CT
« on: December 07, 2006 - 08:28:01 PM »
Ever have a night where nothing goes right?

I left work early so I could go register my Barracuda, since the local DMV's open 'til 7 on Thursdays.  It's also a good excuse to burn up the old gas, fill the tank for the winter, and give the gas an additive for long life.

I knew ahead of time that the alternator isn't charging, and that the only other time I had the car running for 15+ minutes it overheated.  With that in mind, my wife followed me in her car while we drove for about 15 minutes to the DMV.  This thing goes through gas like it's free, so most of the way there, I stop to fill it up (I've never had more than a 1/4 tank for the 7 months I've had it so far).

All good to go, I fire it up again and arrive at the DMV.  Just as I pull in to park, it overheats out of nowhere (in sub-40 degree weather), spraying all over.  I don't remember what the needle said, but it was WAY past 210.

So I let it cool, we go in and get the paperwork, and take a quick trip for antifreeze.  When we get back, I fill it up and the battery's dead.  Kind of expecting that, we jumpstart it, and I pull around for my "VIN check".  What didn't he check?  He said he won't pass the car because "the exhaust has been modified to make the car louder than when it rolled out of the factory."  I asked how is that?  Straight pipes and new mufflers.  While he's inspecting the kitchen sink and telling me how I should never drive this in CT, I notice the oil pressure is at 25 (it's normally at 75!).  WTF?  So I shut it down.

When he's done telling me no, a hundred ways from Sunday, the battery's dead again and I can't start it.  By the way, the engine temp was about 160 when I started it again, and it climbed back up to about 210 before I shut it off.  So I put it in neutral to back it up so we can jumpstart it again, but the two of us can't push it.  WTF?  The only thing I can think is that the brand new Baer brakes must be grabbing the rear wheels.  Hmpf.

As I start it, the kindly officer of the law points out that I'm leaking gas,dripping off the bottom of my Holley woodchipper blue electric fuel pump, but dripping isn't a strong enough word.  So we fire it up, park it, and pay for a tow home.

On the bright side, when we arrive at home, I fire it up, drive it into the garage, and noticed that the oil pressure is back at 75 where it belongs.  I recently changed the oil (Valvoline 20/50 to Castrol Syntech 5W30).

Is there any way I can just erase this night?  Is there a delete key or something?  Sheesh.

Any ideas why oil pressure would do that?  That scares the crap out of me.  I have to admit, I'm wondering why I love these things and own it, if I can't even register it...and I hope that feeling wears off tomorrow.

Just had to vent I guess.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Disaster trying to register my barracuda in CT
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006 - 08:37:22 PM »
That sucks. I can't believe that they would not register it. That makes no sense at all. Hope things work out for you and you have a better day tomorrow.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006 - 08:51:04 PM »
Sorry you had a bad day. When you get the bugs worked out of the system take the car to a different DMV even if its in another town and see if the other guy is gonna be a di** too. I cannot stand the way DMV people can sit there with a straight face and tell you they will not register because its loud when some jerk on a Harley is 3 times louder.  :pullinghair:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006 - 08:56:35 PM »
Man that's terrible. BOL next time you try. And is your fan clutch going bad?

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006 - 10:41:04 PM »
I figure your oil pressure guage stuck or something like that!    :dunno:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006 - 10:37:36 AM by 4Cruizn »

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006 - 10:57:15 PM »
On the oil pressure drop, if some debris got sucked into the oil pickup screen it will block the flow and the pressure will drop.

If the debris has any weight to it at all, it will drop from the screen when the suction is taken away. (when engine turned off)

Try draining the oil and see if any chunks of old gasket or sealer come out. If you do not find anything that way, flush it with some thin oil.

Barry

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006 - 07:05:49 AM »
Does the car have a thermostat? Sounds like the T'stat might be stuck closed, or is not opening up enough.

Now you know why it uses so much gas, the fuel pump is shot. Better check to make sure the fuel pump did not pump gas into the oil pan, thats a common thing to happen when the fuel pump fails...it will dilute the oil and cause low oil pressure (lack of oil viscosity) If you pull the dipstick and it's over full, drian out the oil and change the filter AFTER you replace the fuel pump. Dont run the engine much till you do that.

Not to be critical here, but if you drove that car to me to pass inspection with all those problems, I'd fail you too. Look at it from his perspective, he passes your car, and it gets involved in an accident that is caused by an equipment failure, it's his a$$ on the line. With what happened there,(brakes hanging up, overheating, leaking gas) would make me wonder what else is wrong with it, that might affect safety. Like others have said, fix all the problems with the car, then take it to somewhere else for inspection.

Sounds like the car needs a good going over to fix all these minor issues, Good luck with it, it looks like a nice car!

:cheers:

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006 - 08:04:25 AM »
Thanks for the good feedback.  By the way the cop didn't see the problems (bad alternator, overheated) until after he failed it...of course the leaking gas could've been the real trigger like you say.  It looks like it's leaking off the tank, then dripping down to the fuel pump.  There was never a problem with the fuel pump until I filled the tank up, which I haven't done yet.  I'll have to look closer when I get home.  Maybe the seal around the sending unit?  I went through that when I replaced absolutely everything back there on my previous 73 Cuda.

I'll definitely take that good suggestion and drain the oil and check it out.  Someone here at work who is somewhat into cars said not to be too worried about the oil pressure, that it usually screws up around the time of an oil change.  But what I saw was when I started it immediately after the change, it was scarily low for about 1 second, then shot up to 75 and hugged to it like it was a nude supermodel.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006 - 08:18:53 AM »
Getting the temp above 210 will thin the oil.  It can also increase bearing clearence.  Put the 2 together and it could be what was wrong. Like others have said change the oil, filter also, and see if the pressure stays where it should be.  Don't you love living in a "free" country???  I have been to several other countries and most are worse than here.  At the same time I don't believe this is the level of freedom our forefathers had in mind.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006 - 09:26:41 AM »
"At the same time I don't believe this is the level of freedom our forefathers had in mind."

...just wait till Hillary gets here...musclecars will be banned (you think I'm kidding don't you?)

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006 - 09:31:50 AM »
Okie-doke, that's verified, the gas leak is coming from the sending unit seal.  No biggie, I've done that before.  I'll plan for overkill, and replace the tank, sending unit, and Holley fuel pump, probably with a Mallory (I've heard good things there).

It's funny how one thing leads to another.  I have a theory that the car overheated before on this guy, probably right before selling it to me.  When it overheated, it looks like antifreeze would've sprayed out of the overflow and hit the alternator, probably trashing it.

I think my only question is, what do you mean by increasing bearing clearances?  Which bearings?  Engine somewhat-newbie here.  If this is right, what can I do to fix this and make this car right?  In the meantime I'll try the simple things like thermastat, and if that doesn't get it, water pump.  The big end radiator shouldn't be the problem, and the hoses look good.  Thanks for any feedback.  Cheers.

PS
I think I just got a little pi$$y when multiple things all went wrong together on a car I thought was pretty solid.  Who am I kidding, I'll never sell this thing, and I WILL figure out how to make it right.  What can I say, I love e-bodies! :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006 - 09:34:00 AM by zerfetzen »

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006 - 10:22:21 AM »
I was talking about engine bearings.  Now that it has cooled down they will have returned to normal size.  It is due to heating and cooling.   All engines do it.  Yours may have done it more at that time because the engine was not designed to run at those temperatures. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006 - 10:24:28 AM »
Wow..You went to Wethersfield, eh? I hate Wethersfield...lol. i go to Enfield..It's a longer drive, but they dont mind older cars so much. As far as louder, that's subjective, but you have to please him once, then you can do whatever you want. You must have some sort of cooling issue..I dont see a bad alternator from anitfreeze...It sounds like you may have some "debugging" to do. I have to Xmas tree cut this Saturday, but I could probably swing over eithe Sunday or Monday evening and see what I can help with...I think the inspection is good for 30 days...And they will only look at what it failed for before.  :pullinghair:

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006 - 11:01:10 AM »
Boy that'd be great, thanks a bunch Moper! :thumbsup: Anytime Sunday or Monday evening would work.  I'm sure you'll like the car, and just like you say, I've just got a little debugging to do.   :wave:

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006 - 11:23:07 AM »
It's a Cuda in CT...I already like the car...lol. The fact it runs (mostly) and is too loud for the inspectors is just a bonus...I'm leaning more to Monday after work. I'll email you.
Dave