Author Topic: sad sad find  (Read 13507 times)

Offline gb70

Re: sad sad find
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2006 - 12:26:15 PM »

:iagree: Can you imagine if this turns out to be an original V code car  :wow:  :money:  :woohoo:  :faint:  :clapping:

In one of his first post he mentions that it is a BS23H1xxxxxx car.  I assume that they got the numbers from the VIN tag by the corner front window on the dash. 

What I am curious about is he mentions that the seller lady said that it had belonged to her grandfather.  I wonder if he is the original owner?  I assume that the title is in her name now? 

Another thought, most of us here know that this is not a 3k car but more like 10-15k min. even with its current condition.  The seller did not take the time to do her homework which could have put at least another 10k in her pocket.  She will be kicking herself once she gets out from under that rock  :screwy:

You better get it fast before she finds out what it is really worth. 

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2006 - 12:45:05 PM »
I cannot agree more with gb70.  Go, now! :burnout:

Offline Triple Black hemi

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2006 - 02:11:09 PM »
In one of his first post he mentions that it is a BS23H1xxxxxx car.  I assume that they got the numbers from the VIN tag by the corner front window on the dash. 

What I am curious about is he mentions that the seller lady said that it had belonged to her grandfather.  I wonder if he is the original owner?  I assume that the title is in her name now? 

Another thought, most of us here know that this is not a 3k car but more like 10-15k min. even with its current condition.  The seller did not take the time to do her homework which could have put at least another 10k in her pocket.  She will be kicking herself once she gets out from under that rock  :screwy:

You better get it fast before she finds out what it is really worth. 

Great point gb70....I would estimate that if the car is a true V code cuda.......the price would be in the 25K to 35K to start easy in the current condition.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2006 - 03:12:37 PM »
First law of Economics - Price is whatever the seller is willing & able to accept for something.  In other words, the lady that sold it got exactly what she needed for the car. If she needed/wanted more, maybe she would have researched it further but that is one reason why if you are looking to buy a car from someone, it's best to let them set the asking price.  Not everyone gets Barrett-Jackson Fever over these old cars.

Great Find and  Texas car to boot!  I'd be worried about it if it were a northern car sitting in the weeds & trees like that - frame rails would be TOAST
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline gb70

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2006 - 04:17:06 PM »
First law of Economics - Price is whatever the seller is willing & able to accept for something.  In other words, the lady that sold it got exactly what she needed for the car. If she needed/wanted more, maybe she would have researched it further but that is one reason why if you are looking to buy a car from someone, it's best to let them set the asking price.  Not everyone gets Barrett-Jackson Fever over these old cars.

Great Find and  Texas car to boot!  I'd be worried about it if it were a northern car sitting in the weeds & trees like that - frame rails would be TOAST

She got what she thought was fair for it.  You can not deny that she did not understand what it is really worth.  Anyone one of us here on this board would have glady gave her 3k for that '71 Cuda, BS23H1xxxxxx.  Good point however about having the seller determine the price, but in this case he shot her an offer that she accepted.

Look forward to seeing some pictures of the car once he has it in his garage.  I wonder how much rust there is in the pans and frame rails?  How long was it outside there in Texas?   I am thinking a while seeing how that tree boxed it in.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006 - 04:19:56 PM by gb70 »

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2006 - 04:37:14 PM »
East Texas and the hill country is pretty humid. I hope it faired well while it rested in those shrubs. There is a great potential for rust there but I dont know anyone here who would walk away from that car for 3k. I sure hope that old lady does not see the add for that curious yellow 71 'Cuda that is rusted to nothing for 25k  :horse:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2006 - 07:19:10 PM »
That's awesome she accepted a $3,000 offer for it!!!! :clapping:  Hopefully it's decent enough underneath to restore it. (even if it was rusted badly, most parts can now be bought or fabricated.) :2thumbs: :cheers:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2006 - 11:01:45 PM »
 :wow:   That is a great find for a great price.  He was sure lucky.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline PlumCrazyChris

• Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2006 - 09:59:32 AM »
I'm in Central Tx and have found a few out here, but that is really a nice looking project for the money.  A friend of mine found a 70 440 6pak, 4 spd, super trac pac Superbee, red with a black vinyl and interior, disc brake, ralley hood for a little less than that this spring just outside of town.  Another friend of mine owned it back in 80, but couldn't afford to buy it back now after it was found.  Amazingly it had no rust issues, just a missing motor and trans, but the Dana was still under the rear. 

I happen to know where a 73 Challenger Rallye, 71 RT and 71 Coupe are sitting right now, but I'm trying to work a deal on them myself. 

Good luck to your friend Wiildcat, where are you and your friend located?  I'm in Austin.

PlumCrazyChris
Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
Round Rock Tx
70 Challenger 5.7, A518, A/C
70 Challenger 340 convertible (Gone to Sweden)
68 Barracuda (sold it too)
www.mopar.org

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2006 - 11:02:00 AM »
Im just outside of Austin, liberty Hill, he lives out in caldwell.

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2006 - 03:54:14 PM »
I wouldn't call it a sad find. It looks like someone had a great find. Hope it finds a new and better home.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline vert

• Looking good, Billy Ray! Feeling good, Louis!
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2006 - 08:45:07 PM »
Congrats to your friend!  Great find!!!  I've been watching a pair of 69 1/2 Superbees rust for a few years now.  One day...
71 Barracuda | Hemi idling | Hemi Dyno pull

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2006 - 04:18:10 AM »
update, car is now at it's new home. The bottom was really in great shape considering! It does have a bad spot in frame right under the drivers floor pan about 3 inch's long and 1 small hole in drivers floor pan. The rest of frame and pans are near mint. :2thumbs: He is goin to start gutting the car this week and will know more as it goes. Will keep updating as I find out.

Offline Finoke

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2006 - 05:17:53 AM »
Cool, we would love to see more pics!!  :wow:

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2006 - 06:59:54 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Send pics of progress when you can. Best of luck with the project. I love to see this cars saved.
1974 Barracuda