Why pay so much for a clone??

Author Topic: Why pay so much for a clone??  (Read 4894 times)

Offline kingtroll

Why pay so much for a clone??
« on: December 12, 2006 - 03:28:20 PM »
I know we all have seen them. 1970 or 1971 cuda non original motor now has hemi. Blah, blah blah, 80,000 , 90,000 etc. Now I just want to know what others think on this subject. I realize ANY barracuda in restored condition has a substantial value. The car is a classic, has an awesome body and in prime condition in 2006 is really saying something. BUT, to try and sell a car that NEVER was a Hemi and is non original and charge those prices is pretty ridiculous to me. I can understand the extra premium for a 71 because of it's unique body style. It would be much cheaper to just find one in pretty good shape and put the hemi, wedge, 440 or whatever yourself and save a ton of money and make it your own way. I guess some people are so loaded that they don't care what it cost , they like what they see and buy it regardless of price or originality. I understand an original is an original that I can understand but to make a clone and spout off a list of put on options LIKE it was an original and charge like it was an original is nuts. I guess if people are willing to pay then people are willing to sell...  Just wanted to see what others thought...same for challengers. 
1974 Barracuda

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Why pay so much for a clone??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006 - 03:32:55 PM »
Those prices may seem high, but remeber that numbers matching cars are reaching premiums in the millions now. So a clone for 10% of a real car is not that out of line. The advantage to clones is that you can get a car with the options that you want even if it was never produced and you are less likely to be afraid to drive the car worrying about destroying the numbers matching drivetrain.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006 - 03:37:33 PM »
I'd build my own, like I am now!  I couldnt afford a 70 ta or would want to drive a car the valueable.  But why spend so much for a clone?  Doesn't add up to me, but guess people without the proper knowledge have too much money :clueless:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006 - 03:41:50 PM »
If you add up the cost of buying all the rare parts and labor, some of these clones are not that bad of a deal.  I started keeping a spreadsheet of the money spent on my car (no labor) and it adds up FAST!

Unless your in this for the joy of building something, it is much cheaper to let someone else do it.

Anyone care to admit how much they have into their car?  I alway tell people I have about 13k into my car, i'd be hard pressed to get 10k for it as is.

Now if I put a 10k paint job on it (25k invested total) it would be worth $15K.  

Great deal huh?  

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006 - 04:21:41 PM »
I'm with you Katfish.

I got a 70 BARRAcuda. It's a factory 4 spd car, it's factory purple. It's also got some good options like 6 way seat, rallye dash, quarter side scoops, 355 sure grip, sway bars and stuff. But it was a 318 car, and it's was MIA when I bought it. It's now a 440 six pack car since I have one around. This is not a clone to be a cuda. I'm leaving barracuda emblems on it. There's no rust on the car. Now I have no Idea what this car is worth. But I can add the parts up like you said and skip the labor costs. The price goes up there. And it still isn't a big number car. With all this that my car has, and it being a rust free ca. desert car. I'd be hard pressed if I could get 40k for it.  The car is built the way I need it to be. I could sell it today for 25k and be happy, or just keep working on it and drive it and love it. The cars are hard to find, but not impossible. So I would just go get another and do it all over again. And leave the cuda emblems off. But I also realize that my car in time will bring big money because of what it is.  But I myself don't consider it a big money car

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006 - 05:00:42 PM »
I'd build my own, like I am now!  I couldnt afford a 70 ta or would want to drive a car the valueable.  But why spend so much for a clone?  Doesn't add up to me, but guess people without the proper knowledge have too much money :clueless:

To someone who has a limited amount of time to invest in restoring a car, and cant afford their dream car, a clone hemi, T/A or whatever can be a viable option. Some peoples time is very valueable. If you build a clone/tribute/whatever you want to call it correctly, you can add up the $$ real fast. I'm not talking about some thrown together car, but a well restored car.

Take my T/A wanna be...real FM3 70 Challenger with buildsheet. If I wanted to buy a J code T/A in this condition, with the FM3 paint code, I would say i would have to spend at least $70K. I'll finish mine with a total outlay of just over $42K. And i will DRIVE mine. The $$ i save goes towards my sons college tuition.

I happen to know a whole lot about these cars, been into them for over 30 years and have owned 98 Mopars. So I think I have the "proper knowledge" of these cars. Sold hemi cars, 440-6's, superbirds,, etc... The VIN never made that much difference to me when I was driving the car, matter of fact I cant even read it from the drivers seat.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006 - 05:05:04 PM »

And when Larry reaches 100 he said in an email (honestly :grinno: ) that he would ship his 100th Mopar to me.

Isn't he nice.  :swaying: :icon16:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

daves70

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006 - 06:16:59 PM »
 :roflsmiley:

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006 - 06:37:41 PM »
I see what you guys are saying, but were talking big money cars, or at least thats what I thought... no way I can afford a 50k plus car, but I can build one on mine own over time that maybe worth that much.  I never spent over 10k on a car I built and never sold one for less.  The first one was a good learning experience because I bought new everything even if it didn't need it.  So the second runner I did I had alot less into it and sold it for more than the first... but the markey was a huge factor too.  I don't build my cars with profit in mind, but by looking around, some patience, and so on you can find some good deals. 

I personally wouldn't pay too much for a clone, I mean more than the market value of that car as an original car.  Maybe a little more for some parts, but ones that are 80-90k :roflsmiley:  Not a chance!
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006 - 06:54:59 PM »
I bought my 440-six 70 Cuda clone off Ebay two years ago for 28k. At the time I thought I was paying a preimum, but 8 months later I'm at a car show and some total Cuda nut offers me 60k for the car. Down here in south Fl. Cuda's are more rare than Tony Montana's pimped out Cadillac. Than not 4 months later a guy in a 2006 745 BMW wants to trade me title for title.
All I can say is it's madness.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006 - 09:07:35 PM »
I personally dont feel like I am building a "clone" but I am making my car the way I want it. My car was a 318/auto car but will have big block power when its done. The shell will be back to original (it was like B5/B7 blue when I bought it) Butterscotch with white top and interior. I want to end up with a nice pump premium stroker. I for one am not building my car with any intention of selling it at all. I want to drive the piss out of it! When collectors are locking up all our big block and hemi cars in museums what other option do we have except to build what is getting as scarce as hens teeth?  :dunno:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Four-Forty-fied

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006 - 09:24:07 PM »
I guess it depends on how nice the clone is. Nearly show room condition?

A crate Hemi is roughly $15,000
Good luck finding a 70 or 71 Barracuda that isn't completely rotted out for less than $20,000.
Rotisserie restoration paint & body work is $20,000 to $30,000 when done professionally.

That's about $55-65,000 right there.

Then rebuilding/obtaining the 4-spd, throwing in a Dana 60, rebuilding the front end.
There's all the interior and trim pieces.
NOS grilles going for $3000.
Bumper rechroming or grabbing a set of $1500 elastomeric bumpers...

$80,000 can come up quickly, and it's still just a fraction of the real thing.

Why would anyone do all that work and not try to make money off of it?

Offline ESGEE

• 1970 Challenger RT/SE
    • SG´s site
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006 - 09:56:22 PM »
I would never buy a Hemiclone for 80K(but bouild one)but if someone would sell a Hemiclone for 40K i would run to the bank and loan some money :bigsmile:
Hemi clones prices i can understand, but those 318 cars that someone put a 440+6 in and they sell for like 50k :eek4:
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B196875)
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B115166)
70 Challenger SE(RT/SE clone)
69 Charger RT/SE 4speed Trackpac
70 Charger 500

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006 - 10:05:49 PM »
There is not much difference between a hemi clone and a 440 6-pack clone. I would rather pay 80k for a well restored 440 6-pack clone then 50k for a car that someone stuck a hemi in. Unless the car had a bunch of options to begin with, what the car was originally really should have no bearing on the car now. Who cares if it was a 318 car. BUt if the car was a factory high impact color or had some rare options like power windows, 6 way seats or a rally dash, and still retain those options that is another story.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006 - 10:07:37 PM »
You think they're expensive now...just wait a few years. There are less cars available every year due to accidents, fires, etc and there are more and more new drivers out there looking for a musclecar. If you have a car now don't sell it. If you don't have one, go get one now. That's my advice for the day. ;D
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com