Why pay so much for a clone??

Author Topic: Why pay so much for a clone??  (Read 4895 times)

Offline kingtroll

Re: Why pay so much for a clone??
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2006 - 06:05:48 PM »
Well many of us can easily live another 40 years and who knows what the world will be like then. Maybe in those years they'll make a retro Cuda to go along with the Challenger. I know I will only sell my car if I am deseperate....really desperate for money (god forbid) or I get an even better Cuda. I may get another Mopar but I have to have a Barracuda in the mix.
1974 Barracuda

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2006 - 09:58:09 PM »
I bought my 440-six 70 Cuda clone off Ebay two years ago for 28k. At the time I thought I was paying a preimum, but 8 months later I'm at a car show and some total Cuda nut offers me 60k for the car.

I know what you mean. My Challenger is a clone of an automatic RT convertible sixpack car ( factory Plum Crazy, though ! ). Shortly after I bought the car, I went to a car show, some guy came up to me and offered $ 60,000 for it; at that point I had maybe $ 35,000 into it. Kind of blows your mind when stuff like that happens.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2006 - 12:33:17 AM »
Heres a nice ta clone under 30k, no hemi car but still nice

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RESTORED-1970-DODGE-CHALLENGER-TA-340-SIX-PACK-CLONE_W0QQitemZ300055141977QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6198QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

However I can build one and know exactly whats been done for less than half.  Makes sense to me, but for the non builder, that would be a bad ride.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2006 - 12:39:43 AM »
I see your point but I think you are stressing over something you have no control. The lowly slants and 318's were built on the same line so they are real cars. If someone wanted to gold plate every part on the car who is going to stop them? I dont konw but it seems you are placing the "real cars" on a pedestal so high they are out of sight while you kick rocks at the base cars in the 6' hole  :clueless:

Im speaking about myself personally.  I wouldn't use the parts that cant be replaced on a clone that someone with the real deal could use.  I built a 69-1/2 roadrunner clone and managed to score a real steel 6 pack air cleaner.  But why would I need that on a clone?  It went to someone building a real deal.  I've heard what your say about cars on the same assembly line, but the vins what matters.  If the numbers didnt matter then why isnt my 318 car worth 100k?  The real cars do deserve to be set higher because they are alot more rare, valueable, etc... and the kicking rocks at the other cars, not even close.  They are what they are and the lower price tag puts them in the range more people can afford them also.  Lots more made too.  And people can build their cars anyway they want!  I could care less what people do! 
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2006 - 03:44:29 AM »
This is exactly what I was talking about earlier, from your statement below AND looking at that car, I can tell you don't keep good track of what you've put into your cars.

I would bet you couldn't build that car for under 50k, if you factored in paying yourself minimum wage to do it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RESTORED-1970-DODGE-CHALLENGER-TA-340-SIX-PACK-CLONE_W0QQitemZ300055141977QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6198QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

However I can build one and know exactly whats been done for less than half.  Makes sense to me, but for the non builder, that would be a bad ride.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006 - 04:29:46 AM by Katfish »

Offline old man

• I may old but I ain't slow
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2006 - 06:29:59 AM »
Here is my two cents on the clone situation. I bought my 70 Challenger as a shell with a motor and this gave me the chance to build what I wanted. Kinda like going to the dealership and ordering your new car with the options that you wanted. So it looks like a T/A and runs as good or better but I've got a hell of alot less money in it than a real T/A would have cost. I always built my cars to drive and enjoy not to try to make money off them when I sell them. Now I have made good money everytime I sold one but that was not the purpose in doing this. The cars will bring whatever the market will allow. So the only problem is that with cars going thru Barret Jackson auctions and such people believe their cars are worth the same as the one bring at these auctions. This makes it hard as hell for everyday people to buy one to own. Do I believe my cars will keep going up in value? Hell yes and that means I can drive it and enjoy talking to strangers when they ask me about the car. Then when ever I leave this world I have something for my kids to enjoy and have good memories about their old dad.

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2006 - 01:15:47 PM »
This is exactly what I was talking about earlier, from your statement below AND looking at that car, I can tell you don't keep good track of what you've put into your cars.

I would bet you couldn't build that car for under 50k, if you factored in paying yourself minimum wage to do it.

Well we'll see because I'm doing it now.  No way I spend half that even if I paid myself a decent per hour pay.  I think its a nice car, I wouldnt pay 30k for it though... but I'd say its a good car for someone who wants a ta they can drive and its not 50-100k.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline falcon50flier

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2006 - 04:00:37 PM »
I'm with cudabuyer above, as I have also built a nut and bolt resto-mod Challenger vert. Even with a very *complete* donor car in my case, it is not hard to run up 500-600 hours in a correctly done body and paint restoration. At $50-55/hr for competent resto shops in most major markets you can have well over $50K in getting a shell ready (donor car plus repair/refinish), add for big tickets incl. engine ($24K for my hemi), trans, Dana or 8 3/4 setup, suspension, brakes, interior kit, instrument cluster, dashpad, top (verts) - it is easy to have $100K ++ in an E-body project. It takes a lot of time and money to chase the parts to do one of these right, and compared to years back, we have it easy now with Harms, Frank Badalson/Roger Gibson, Resto Rick, Year One, Totally Auto, R/T Specialties and many other vendors stepping up the E body parts supply. IMO, its worth every penny.

All of the hemi projects I've seen come up on ebay over the last year, with the exception of one (or two), have been ABSOLUTE junk. Coupes without torque boxes added, no hemi snubber plate, 318 radiator/core support, no rallye dash, etc, etc. If they get $50K, $60K, $70K, whatever for these weak sisters, buyer beware. To be able to drive and show one done right is, in mastercard terms,..priceless.

BTW, Top Banana will be back in the 2007 season with some new goodies to show off.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006 - 04:32:08 PM by falcon50flier »
70 Challenger convertible
518 cid Hemi, TF727, 3.73 Dana 60

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2006 - 04:55:48 PM »
 :scared: :scared:  I still love that picture!!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline nakita7

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2006 - 08:11:52 PM »
To get back to your original question....

I would never 'pay' that much, because I can do all of my own work. I have a 70 Barracuda 318 car that will eventually be something way cooler. It will be an AAR, a Cuda 340 or a Hemicuda. The latter being if, and only if, BJ keeps running the prices really high.

The whole 90K Hemicuda thing on Ebay and such, to be honest bores me to tears, could care less. The guys 'buying' these thing are most likely Chevy guys, who simply like the look of the Cuda and have more money than brains, OR guys who have no mechnical apptitude whatsoever, and have money burning a hole too. Sure Mopar guys 'build' them too, but I tend to believe most of them do it carefully and properly, not getting burned on Mopar parts and such.

Now, just to shift the topic a little bit, but still keep it related...

Does this mean that other Muscle Cars will be following the trend (forget the Shelby thing)???? Will there be Boss 429 Clone Cars for $100K??? 70 Chevelle SS for the same prices too? I follow non-Mopar muscle cars a little bit, but no expert. Anyone else see this happening at all? I have watched Judges recently, WOW! With real Judge Convertibles going for $250K+, the price of GTO clones is fairly high ($30K+ for 69's etc.).

What will be the next $3 million dollar Muscle car?...
72 Charger Rallye (440 auto)
72 Charger Rallye (318 auto)
71 Charger RT

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2006 - 08:20:20 PM »

I called about this car. I have been looking for another good AAR/TA clone for a while now. I find a good one and the color is wrong, there is always something. This one looks really good but it doesn't have disc brakes, no sway bars, not even an 83/4 or suregrip, dont' think it has seat belts. Its not worth that price at all, but it looks great.....

Personally I like clones, if I had deeper pockets i'd get a real car, but when people like myself have intrest in this hobby and can't afford the high dollar cars, clones are what keep us interested and involved. A 35K AAR clone is too much for someone who has a real AAR or who does not like that car. For myself, I'd pay 35K for a GOOD clone because thats a fraction of the cost of a real AAR and I would have exactly what I like.   :dunno:  Sure I could buy a numbers matching 340 cuda for not a whole lot more....but I would probably not be happy with it unless I dressed it as an AAR.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2006 - 09:06:10 PM »
I'm not suprised, if it was what it appears I'd think itd be sold... and its a dealer, so that adds alot to the asking price there.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2006 - 04:54:21 PM »

I look at that car and see lots of things that keep it from bringing top $$, even clone top $$. Look in the engine compartment...headers, wrong valve covers, whats up with the forward lamp wiring harness?  PCV valve wrong, modern battery, cobbed up overflo hose, wrong hoses and clamps, cracked steering wheel, aftermarket stereo, dash cap, etc, etc, etc....Plenty of other details that just dont make it a top notch car. And add to that the non-rallye dash, automatic trans, spray bomb undercarriage detailing, and on and on...When i see all these details being missed just from pics, what am i going to find when i see the car in the flesh???

I'm not saying that car is not a nice car, but it's plainly obvious that it's not restored to show quality. Like others have said, to restore a car to higher standards, you are going to spend some $$, no matter what you start out with.

I'll say it again, when it comes to clones, QUALITY of the resto is everything when establishing value.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2006 - 11:42:24 PM »
I look at that car and see lots of things that keep it from bringing top $$, even clone top $$. Look in the engine compartment...headers, wrong valve covers, whats up with the forward lamp wiring harness?  PCV valve wrong, modern battery, cobbed up overflo hose, wrong hoses and clamps, cracked steering wheel, aftermarket stereo, dash cap, etc, etc, etc....Plenty of other details that just dont make it a top notch car. And add to that the non-rallye dash, automatic trans, spray bomb undercarriage detailing, and on and on...When i see all these details being missed just from pics, what am i going to find when i see the car in the flesh???

I didn't  notice any of the problems you guys noticed, but then again, I'm more of a driver quality type of person,  and don't know what to look for yet. Any opinions as to what would be a reasonable value, because I'm interested in a T/A (or AAR) clone?

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2006 - 01:09:32 AM »
:scared: :scared:  I still love that picture!!
:iagree: I use it for the backdrop on my desktop !

p.s. best quote in this thread so far " I can't read the VIN # when I'm driving it"
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California