Author Topic: Carb Restoration services  (Read 2187 times)

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
Carb Restoration services
« on: December 12, 2006 - 09:34:28 PM »
Does anybody have a recommended service to rebuild and restore a carb that also does correct plating?  Holley does it but it's ridiculous money $426 for a Holley 4-barrel.

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
Re: Carb Restoration services
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006 - 09:23:02 AM »
You might check these guys out.

http://www.ponycarburetors.com/default.asp
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 70Cuda

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006 - 09:40:01 PM »
OK, thanks, I see their price is just slightly higher than Holley.

http://www.ponycarburetors.com/default.asp?page=restoreonly

but that's still going in the wrong direction.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006 - 09:47:51 PM by 70Cuda »

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007 - 06:47:46 PM »
Although we've been offering this service for a while now most of the business has been via word of mouth so here is an "official" announcement to the board.

Harms is now offering OE correct restoration services for all American made carburetor models, (any Carter AVS, AFB, Thermoquad, or any Rochester or Holley) .

This service includes complete rebuilding and test tuning on a running mule engine prior to shipment to assure that every carb is exactly right and ready to run right out of the box.

We do not treat all carbs the same, plating colors varied with many componants, we carefully research each carburetor to properly duplicate the colors it originally came with. Every carburetor is photographed when recieved, as well as after it's been restored, with a detailed work sheet that follows with each unit as it's processed.

Typical turnaround time is 2-3 weeks, rush orders can be accomodated.

If you need top shelf restoration work done on your carburetors look no further, we absalutely gaurantee that the level of service & OE detail our work reflects is unsurpassed by any source, not only that, they will run right!

Thank you for your support

*We do not sell carburtetors - We offer rebuild services only

Offline 70Cuda

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007 - 08:38:11 PM »
How about a link to your price sheet or some prices here.

70 Holley 4 barrel for 383, auto, air
70 440+6 California emissions (N95), auto
71 Holley 4 barrel for 383, manual, no air

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007 - 09:00:40 PM »
I don't have a posted price sheet but here are some basic answers for you.

Most American made 1960's 70's single 4 barrel carbs (Holley, Carter, Rochester) cost $375.00. Any Six Barrel setup is $750.00, and any dual 4 setup such as the Hemi carbs shown above are $650.00 a set. Any assosiated small linkage parts or intake manifold parts sent in with the carbs will be re-plated at no additional cost.

70 Holley 4 barrel for 383, auto, air
$375.00

70 440+6 California emissions (N95), auto
$750.00

71 Holley 4 barrel for 383, manual, no air
$375.00

These prices do not include shipping or replacement parts beyond a rebuild kit. Should core replacement parts be required I only charge my actual cost, such parts are not a profit center for me and are typically not required. I can provide some missing parts if  needed, some would have to be sourced by the customer depending on availability.

I do not sell parts or offer "quicky" low cost rebuild services, I only offer complete every nut and bolt OE quality work. You can beat my prices but you won't beat my service or quality, I gaurantee it!

Thank you for your interest! :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007 - 01:49:01 AM by Harms inc. »

Offline 70Cuda

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007 - 08:36:03 AM »
OK that's good info and I was glad to see basically set prices not varying by application.  How about warranty?

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007 - 02:18:34 PM »
I don't have any hard and fast warranty "rules" because problems are so rare.

For those that feel more comfortable with something firm in writing I will offer a 1 year unconditional warranty which covers any parts or labor involved to correct the problem.

Further more I will go beyond that if the circumstances are unusual such as a fresh carb that's been sitting waiting for the completion of a car and is found to have issues after being installed. If within the first 5 years you wish to have a carburetor(s) we did freshened up, I will do so at a 30% discount off of the original rebuild price.

I am a reasonable person and will ALWAYS go above and beyond to make the customer happy.

Offline 70Cuda

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007 - 06:01:20 PM »
Sounds good since for my purposes, not only does it have to look good but it has to work.

Here's a for instance on one carb of mine - there is a yet to be identified gas leak and the carb has been rebuilt twice with no issues noticed by a guy that does Holley's day in and day out.  Are you confident the issue could at least be identified (might be a crack in the base or leaking through bushings or something) and what can a guy / rebuilder do about that?  Do you replace bushings / shafts have any other thoughts / parts?

I may start over with a different carb too and I was about ready to buy a different carb for road use but I am interested in keeping the right carb.

Do you or can you do any performance enhancements too?

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007 - 06:28:54 PM »
Are you confident the issue could at least be identified (might be a crack in the base or leaking through bushings or something) and what can a guy / rebuilder do about that?  Do you replace bushings / shafts have any other thoughts / parts?

I'm at a dissadvantage because I can't see the carb you are having issues with but yes, no problem has ever come up that couldn't be overcome. Sometimes this requires a new componant, sometimes not, there isn't any mystery to it, just a matter of checking everything properly.

All carbs are checked for shaft and bushing leaks, etc. and re-bushed or replaced as required, most end up getting re-bushed as they typically need it.

As far as performance enhancements, not really. I specialize in OE appearance and factory performance, however If you have a basic request like using alternate jets etc. that's no problem. I can also add optional parts from other sources such as Promax's adjustable end carb metering plates for Six Pack setups etc.

Offline 70Cuda

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007 - 11:14:41 PM »
I like my cars to look stock but go fast/sound good and these factory carbs can be a bit small.

I'll probably give you a try after I park it for the winter and that would give you some time to figure out some other internal performance mods :-).

Anyway, thanks for your notes and commentary and I already sent this link to somebody else.

Offline 70Cuda

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007 - 04:56:37 PM »
Hey Harms, it's winter and my car is put away, please supply shipping info and let us know if you have come up with any other performance mods.

Offline r15303

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007 - 06:04:03 PM »
 :2thumbs:

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007 - 11:44:57 PM »
Shipping info:

Harms Inc.
9807 E. Broadway Ave.
Spokane Valley, WA

I'm a bit more anal then most when it comes to packing carbs but I have yet to encounter a shipping problem using the method below.

Be sure the carbs are well drained of any fuel (be sure they are empty!) wrap each carb in heavy paper towels and put them inside a thick plastic bag (keeps potential gas fume issues at bay). Then I reccomend packing your carbs individually in double boxes, the first smaller box that the carbs fit into cleanly and snugly. Then a second box with a couple inches of air space filled with quality packing materials to keep the smaller box centered well. Include a return address label inside each box and label BOTH inner and outer boxes with a proper address label. Insure the boxes for twice what you value the carbs at and send them with the carrier of choice, personally I like Fed Ex Ground and the driver knows me well, less chance of delivery screw ups.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Scott

Offline 70Cuda

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008 - 11:01:06 PM »
Do you have a website?  www.harmsauto.com isn't working right now.

I have sent you an email since your box here is full and I have my carb all boxed up and ready to ship out but with no site and a website that may no longer exist I'm getting a bit concerned so is there anything going on that I should be concerned about (anybody)?   ???