Author Topic: tracking my cars history?  (Read 1701 times)

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
tracking my cars history?
« on: December 14, 2006 - 09:49:42 AM »
 I have been lucky enough to have owned my car for thirty years but I am trying to find out its early history. I have the fender tags and build sheet. Under the vehicle del. and handling part it shows sold car/sales bank (y14). Does this mean it was ordered by someone thru a dealer with the option packages they wanted-a speced out car or is this one that just rolled down the assembly line. I had the impression  it was ordered by someone here in Idaho but it has the N95 / nox exhaust emission control and N98 / ???? stamped on fender tags. I thought I read somewhere  that  N95 was for California destined cars??? Could my car originally came from Cali. It's a 71 cuda BS23H1BXXXX      Thanks   Doug

Offline DAYTONA

Re: tracking my cars history?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006 - 11:35:32 AM »
I have been lucky enough to have owned my car for thirty years but I am trying to find out its early history. I have the fender tags and build sheet. Under the vehicle del. and handling part it shows sold car/sales bank (y14). Does this mean it was ordered by someone thru a dealer with the option packages they wanted-a speced out car or is this one that just rolled down the assembly line. I had the impression  it was ordered by someone here in Idaho but it has the N95 / nox exhaust emission control and N98 / ???? stamped on fender tags. I thought I read somewhere  that  N95 was for California destined cars??? Could my car originally came from Cali. It's a 71 cuda BS23H1BXXXX      Thanks   Doug

your decoding is correct...

needle in a haystack approach here......I tracked down a cars original owner  once by calling the dealership it went thru many years earlier....the car still had some dealer info in the glovebox(salesmans card) that was really old.......luckily, it was a trade in and they still had the paperwork...they didn't even charge for the research because they thought it was kool someone still had the car........otherwise, I would have never tracked it down....most states license bureaus only go back 10 years...nice CUDA.....good luck in your search....

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006 - 06:49:42 PM »
N95 was required for California sale, but it does not mean it actually sold there new.

Y14 indicated that the car was ordered, (and paid for) it could have been ordered by a dealership employee for sales stock or by a customer. Y14 has to do with the financing to a certain degree as well, some dealers bought some of their stock outright, and some let Chrysler retain ownership until the car was bought by a customer. Some cars carry both the Y14 and Y16 codes on the advance dealer shipping notices.

Barry

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006 - 08:29:21 PM »
I was able to send a letter to my states DOT and recieved copies of the original title and then the next three owners. It was pretty cool. I was then able to track down the original owner. I called him and got some good info from him.

You might be able to try something like that  :dunno:

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006 - 11:09:04 PM »
I got my T/A's original sales paperwork back around 10 years ago when all the Mr. Norms stuff surfaced.  I didn't have a PC then so I had a relative with internet run the original owners name  but only came up with one match across the country who wasn't the same guy.  A few months ago I started thinking about that again and figured I should try searching myself for the original owner and see if I have any better luck, and I came up with a dozen matches, including one guy with a former address in the town where the guy who bought my car lived at that time, and is now 59 years old.  Has to be the same guy right?!!
Next I ran the guys name and current town through Yellow Pages.com and got a number and address.  Called a few times but just got that busy signal you get when a phone is out of order.  So for plan B I mailed him a letter telling him I thought he might be the original owner of my car and could he contact me, I included a SASE, email address, and phone number.  I never got the letter back from the PO so he must have got it, but I have never heard back from him.  Oh well I don't know what more I can do :clueless: His address is only 15 miles from me, I suppose I could go over to his house and hold a boom box over my head blasting that Peter Gabriel tune that goes "You can talk to me"!  :naughty:
If anyone knows Patrick Willford of Streamwood IL please tell him I just have a few quick questions about his old T/A's history!!