Author Topic: Powder coating VS Paint  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
Powder coating VS Paint
« on: December 17, 2006 - 05:19:22 PM »
I know the advantages of powder coating over paint. Powder coating being a much more durable surface but is there anything I would not want to powder coat? Does powder coating look just like a painted surface?

I just stripped down my dash and  while the pad is out getting redone and my instrument get a once over I was thinking about have the steel frame powder coated. Glove box, ash tray and all.Any comments?
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Powder coating VS Paint
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006 - 10:16:00 PM »
There are different powder coating but still there are some thing you cannot powder coat.  Anything that gets real hot and anything that you cannot get hot.  Because you have to bake the parts for the powder coating to adhere, alot of things cannot go into an oven.  I did the whole k-frame in both cars as it just fit in my cousins oven . . . but I couldn't do the steering unit as it has fluid in it.  I also avoid coating springs as it may take away some of the tension of the spring.  Headers would never handle regular powder coating as they get way too hot.  As long as the parts don't get hotter than say 200* . . you should be fine!  Tons of colors out there!  I have coated many things!  Works great!   :2thumbs:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006 - 03:19:48 AM »
powder caot is available in virtually all colors & textures , I have powder coated dash frames in the past , no prob
 I used to thing the heat would hurt parts too But I powder coated a diff housing & left the end seals in place the seals were pefect when I got the housing back , nice & soft & no damage , I asked about it & they only flash the parts to 400 * n ot heat the part to 400* so you would be amazed at what can be powder coated 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006 - 07:08:13 PM »
Also, if you find the dash frame to be too large for an oven, Eastwood Company sells an IR heater that'll work on larger items. (just pricey, but if you ever do anything else with powder-coating it may be worth the investment.)
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006 - 07:24:17 PM »
Thanks guys

I was just concerned that the dash would look different with powder coating.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006 - 05:37:31 AM »
I just had an intake powder coated, looks just like paint. Just hope it holds up better than paint!! The guy who did it has a oven big enough to put any car part in. I didn't measure but it was approx 15'X15'. Said it would heat to 500+ *.
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006 - 09:12:58 AM »
There are different powder coating but still there are some thing you cannot powder coat.  Anything that gets real hot and anything that you cannot get hot.   Headers would never handle regular powder coating as they get way too hot. 

The guy who does my powdercoating said he has a powdercoat for headers now that will stand up to the heat. I don't know if it's something he just started using, or if it's new on the market. At any rate you won't be getting any evaluations from me. The prices he quoted to me were as much as Jet Hot's prices! :scared: For that kind of money I'll stick with proven stuff.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006 - 11:08:32 PM »
I got my Alter-k-tion powder coated, installed it and was doing some grinding on the frame. The sparks screwed the powdercoat up. That was a big, DOOHHH! (Homer Simpson impression) It is good stuff but as I proved it isn't indestructable. I am lucky enough to have a friend that has a powdercoat shop, I get a little discount. He has two ovens you could park Caddys in.

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006 - 12:08:30 AM »
Thanks guys

I was just concerned that the dash would look different with powder coating.

There is a textured black that closely matches the original suede finish on the dash & steering column...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...