Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!

Author Topic: Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!  (Read 226433 times)

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
Re: "Twisted Fish" Channeling a 'Cuda
« Reply #360 on: February 28, 2009 - 02:59:45 PM »
I looked at the car on Friday. Final inspection before color  :jumping: I didn't snap any new pics, its still a big gray fish like so many other pics. But if you sight down the car its arrow strait the body lines are sharp. I didn't find any thing to complain about. So depending on the temp and barometer I should have some color next week.  :drool:

I've been thinking about the dash / instrument cluster for a long time. Like every thing on this build I want it to be unique, but carry the feel of the original. I always loved the look of the 70 non rally dash lots of style, curves, textures and levels. It just needs proper gauges. ( tach and oil psi )
I think the pics will do more to describe it then I can do, but here goes. With out a cnc machine I had to be creative to get the curved look of the upper gauge bezel. I used a fiber board mold and glass resin to make top bezel. The rest can be fabbed with steal and a lot of hours.
The basic idea is to create a 6 gauge version of the factory dash. with recessed gauges behind a smoked plexi lens. the gauges are Sport comp II ( led lit ) bight white back lit so when on they are easy to see though the plexi. but go dark when off. They are rebuilt with black bezels to complete the black out look when off. The main housing will be wrinkle finished with the top bezel in satin black or maybe the black pearl of the hood? The trim rings will stay brushed aluminum to set off the gauges. I still need to mount the indicators and switches. I hope to fit the head light and wiper switches on the left like the factory dash. The indicators will be on the lower level again like the stock cluster.
I think the console plate and over head console will carry the wrinkle finish as well to complete the look. I have the grand coupe head liner and will make a new version of the overhead to look like the original but with the air ride controls where the indicator lights were. Thats next.  :faint:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009 - 03:28:03 PM by conv340 »
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #361 on: February 28, 2009 - 03:23:37 PM »
That looks cool Bob. I bet you are excited to get your car back from the painter. The waiting part sucks but it's still exciting...
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 71_340Challenger

« Reply #362 on: February 28, 2009 - 04:15:02 PM »
That dash is absolutely awesome looking. I was thinking of doing something very similar. Post as many pics with descriptions as you can. Love the work. Can't wait to see it finished!
1971 Dodge Challenger                
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, 6 speed manual
2009 Dodge Charger R/T w/ Road & Track Package
1995 Ford F-150

Offline usraptr

« Reply #363 on: February 28, 2009 - 05:00:11 PM »
Great design. I love it! If I didn't already have a Rallye Dash I definitely go for a clone of yours.  You should market this design.  I bet you'd get a lot of buyers.

:wavingflag:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #364 on: February 28, 2009 - 05:52:38 PM »
Man lots of cool stuff on your car I like it.  :jumping:

What are your plans for all the switches for the lights & wipers?
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #365 on: February 28, 2009 - 07:14:58 PM »
WoW! That's cool!! :smokin:   I like it!!!    NICE WORK TOO!!!! :2thumbs:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Travis72

« Reply #366 on: March 01, 2009 - 01:16:58 PM »
Awesome craftsmanship as always!!!!!

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Mopey Mopar

« Reply #367 on: March 02, 2009 - 09:48:38 PM »
So Bob, how many MILLIONS of Dollars are you gonna charge for that one-off custom dash. :money:

MM

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #368 on: March 02, 2009 - 11:11:45 PM »
So Bob, how many MILLIONS of Dollars are you gonna charge for that one-off custom dash.
I'm not greedy! 1 would be enough  :lol: Right now I just need enough to pay off the paint shop.  :swear:
On the good side Jerry ( the painter ) called and wants me to come down tomorrow and check the stripe layout  :bananasmi  Better find my camera...

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #369 on: March 03, 2009 - 12:20:07 AM »
Hey better get a patent Bob on that dash. Or else.

http://www.flashofgenius.net/
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #370 on: March 03, 2009 - 03:01:30 AM »
The dash layout really does look trick, look forfard to your pictures of the stripe if you do decide to share :bigsmile: :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #371 on: March 03, 2009 - 08:25:12 AM »
Not to be a buzz kill, but, have you checked to make sure the steering column will snug up with your new dash layout?  That's the reason why the rallye dash gauges were not over sized from the factory.  Or are you going with an aftermarket steering column that has a smaller diameter so this will not be an issue?
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #372 on: March 03, 2009 - 04:28:37 PM »
Nice progress with the modified instrument cluster! :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #373 on: March 03, 2009 - 09:55:35 PM »
Not to be a buzz kill, but, have you checked to make sure the steering column will snug up with your new dash layout?
Sound like you speak from experience? That has been one of the larger bugaboos  with getting both a tach and speedo in to the dash. I have a rally and non rally in the two Challys and have done a lot of measuring and fitting. one of the reasons I couldn't easily copy or sell the cluster is I had to do a fair amount of modifying to the frame. the gauges sit lower the a non rally and a little higher. ( giving more space ) My column is factory but dues sit at a slightly different angle because of the channel job. The bottom line is I really don't know if it will fit  :grinno: because the car isn't here. All of my measurements say I have about 1/4" between the column and the cluster. I won't get it powder coated until I check the fit.  :biggrin:
The dash layout really does look trick
Thanks everyone for the nice comments they keep me motivated when things get you down  :violin:

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #374 on: March 03, 2009 - 10:05:31 PM »
look forward to your pictures of the stripe if you do decide to share
:angelwings: The stripe isn't all that spacial but I'll wait till its painted to show the pics  :lol2:
To be honest it wasn't very exciting on a gray primer ball but it is very cool that its that close to paint. Now that it is marked all the panels can be blown back apart and PAINTED  :popcorn: He said weather willing I should see color on by Friday. I'm not holding my breath.