Author Topic: Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!  (Read 226483 times)

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
Re: "Twisted Fish" Channeling a 'Cuda
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2007 - 10:13:53 PM »
I was asking if you had the seats mounted yet and if so, if you could share some pictures of the seat brackets.  I've been building my own brackets for a set of Recaro seats and I'd be interesting in seeing what your brackets look like.
I used a "double lock slider" from Corbeau. It's thin and has a center slider. As you know I have to reclaim 2" of seat space so I don't look like a amazon with my head against the head liner.  :lol2: So I cut that 1.5" bump out of the floor to move the seat down and Leval side to side. I actually just made little spacers to go under the track to hold the seat Leval and out of the carpet. The holes in the sliders lined up with a nice flat spot on the floor boards. More helpfully to you might be that corbeau has a set of brackets listed for a e-body. I don't know it the spacing is the same for Recaro seats  :-\

Thanks for all the input guys I will be doing a lot research on the my options :chatting: I'm definitely leaning toward a stick. A T56 6 speed would be sweet. Whats a little more money!  :faint:
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2007 - 11:24:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Shelby still has a line on the viper t56 take outs. Are you going to be at the Ohlone show this weekend? I can get you some more info on the W580 or the 545RFE if you want.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2007 - 10:24:20 PM »
Are you going to be at the Ohlone show this weekend?

MOPAR ALLEYS MOPAR RALLEY http://www.moparalley.org/I'll be there. Now the Rox has a Challenger she wants to get involved with the club again!  :cheers:
I'll e-mail more details

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2007 - 06:48:03 AM »
These guys may have a solution to the autostick problems:

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

:dunno:
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2007 - 09:00:27 PM »
These guys may have a solution to the autostick problems:

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

I have been talking with them about this problem. They were my best hope! They have a guy that has been working on the problem for a while. The project has moved to the back burner and on personal time its so bad!  :banghead: but you never know. The good news is the goodmark full quarters are almost done I'm hoping to get some shipped this month. I won't be holding my breath  ::) I would love to put the back end together!

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2007 - 08:04:46 PM »
 :wow: I have Factory "style" quarters! If you've read back to the beginning of this post I have been waiting for about as long as I've been working on this car for "factory" rear quarters. As of this post they still aren't listed on goodmarks site but they showed up at the shop Friday!! :woohoo:

I tried to buy them from goodmark directly for months and months. after several emails they told me to just watch the site like every one else and we will list them when there done. Ok fine. I tried to put money on them with Jim's to make sure I got the first pair they got. They wouldn't take my money.  Good old Summit A distributor for them said let me call them and see what we can do. Long story short he told me to call back on the 26th of this month. He would work on it. They arrived at the shop on the 16th! Made my month. I know that everyone will be adding them to stock soon but summit went the extra mile and now has my money.
A little progress has been made  The seats are in and I made braces for the seats and seat belts and tacked them into the floor pans. I want to get the seats home before they get damaged. A while back I talked about the Vintage air box not fitting and relocating it. That meant making lots of hose mods. I bought a 1/2 and 5/8" tubing bender to make new hard lines. I also got some of the alloy aluminum welding rods. So I've been practicing bending and welding aluminum tube. Bending is easy, I've made hundreds of brake and fuel lines, just bigger and cost more if you screw up. The welding "brazing" on aluminum isn't to bad just need to get the right heat. I made up the heater hoses and I put the water valve in the car behind the box. The lines come out behind the valve cover and are fairly short. The A/C lines will run in the passenger fender. All the condenser and receiver/drier lines are hard lines. The only thing you will see under the hood is the two lines from the low mount compressor. Thay are 10" long and go strait out the bottom of the rad support. The Engine bay should be very sanitary.

I also spent a few to many house on the diff case. It now has three coats of Rust Bullet on it. I color sanded the whole thing after #2 let me tell you that stuff is hard!  But it looks good and smooth and should be as hard or harder then powder coating.

One other interesting thing I've learned. The mighty Viper spec T56 "You can shift it at wide open throttle. It can handle 1200 hp. It's bullet proof." While I'm not saying it isn't a good trans the specs are more of a Urban legend. If you don't believe me go to Tremics website and compare specs. What is more interesting is how good the new TKO 600 looks to be. Stronger and lighter in a smaller case also cheaper. Just one less gear. Food for thought on the quest for a new trans.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007 - 08:10:31 PM by conv340 »

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2007 - 08:55:54 PM »
Great to see those quarters finally shipped.  The body line looks straight too!  Now,   if only the fenders would come too.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2007 - 08:59:53 PM »
Great news on the quarters.  That car is really starting to look good  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline 74 340 4speed

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2007 - 10:22:23 PM »
One other interesting thing I've learned. The mighty Viper spec T56 "You can shift it at wide open throttle. It can handle 1200 hp. It's bullet proof." While I'm not saying it isn't a good trans the specs are more of a Urban legend. If you don't believe me go to Tremics website and compare specs. What is more interesting is how good the new TKO 600 looks to be. Stronger and lighter in a smaller case also cheaper. Just one less gear. Food for thought on the quest for a new trans.

If you want a strong T56 for a reasonable price, check these guys out. http://www.sixspeedsinc.com  I've seen is car run a few times at Atlanta Dragway.  Listen to the launch rpm in his video :scared:, plus the guy is power shifting at 8800 rpm.
http://video.ls1tech.com/search/T56Rebuilds/0/d695fb5f-d81b-4f6b-95fc-98c700ceb9d8.htm
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007 - 10:24:47 PM by 74 340 4speed »
Andy
1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc 505 hp/506 ft lbs|4 speed|Posi|3.73s
1969 C/10  350|Turbo 350
1969 Dodge D300 318|4 speed|Dana|4.88s
1972Nova: 350|Turbo 350
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|posi
1999 Camaro SS: Auto|Longtube Headers|True Duals|TT2s
2013 Challenger R/T: 6 speed|Hurst with pistol grip|mopar performance exhaust|super track pak

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2007 - 06:12:52 PM »
Conv340,
Great progress. I see your linesets on your photo of the rad support. Nice, clean work.  :cheers:
Question, I've never sat in the Corbeau seats you're installing. What are they like for comfort? More looks than comfort or do they sit nice too? Basically could you do a 1000 mile road trip in them without dying too bad? I'm really considering those for my project.

This thread is one of my personal favorites!

Thanks, Wes

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2007 - 08:51:28 AM »
Question, I've never sat in the Corbeau seats you're installing. What are they like for comfort? More looks than comfort or do they sit nice too? Basically could you do a 1000 mile road trip in them without dying too bad? I'm really considering those for my project.
So far I can say they are very comfy I actually sat in them for quite a long time when they were in the car reading ( Contemplating the trans )  :sleeping: Nice support and fit me perfect. If you were to have a large um posterior you might want the wide model the side bolsters are confining.  :bigsmile: Now there home in my office. (It's safer there)
This weekend I cut off my quarters!  :clapping: I'll let you know haw it goes.

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2007 - 12:20:43 PM »
LOL about the "wide" model. The standard should be perfect, but thanks for the heads up on that! I'm really leaning towards those seats. It looked like you had the pump up lumbar also?

Excited to see the quarter progress too!

Wes

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2007 - 08:33:47 AM »
We need some more updates and inpiration! Anything new? Pictures?  :cheers:

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2007 - 10:10:31 AM »
We need some more updates and inpiration! Anything new? Pictures?  :cheers:
:iagree:
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2007 - 09:36:05 PM »
Yeah it's been a while. The progress seems slow but I have been getting a lot of good hours in. Just takes time I guess  :violin:
I cut off both old quarters and was happy to find the damage to the structure not as bad as I feared. I removed what was left of the outer wheel tub and trunk extension. Then the fun begins! how to make the now taller tubs fit in to the factory wheel well. the repop outer is of no use anymore I though about modifying it but gave up and started the long proses of making them from scratch. ( lots of poster board here)  I knew from the beginning that I wanted to use some of that wasted space under the trunk so I made pockets on both sides of the trunk. It's a great spot for the battery and air ride stuff.
I made some more braces  :lol2: that tie the structure from the top of the wheel well to the frame at the bumper mount that also makes a great spot to mount all the brackets for the air ride stuff. I didn't want them hanging on the sheet metal. There's been a lot of other little things, like making pockets for the rear windows to roll down into so they don't hit the tub. The good news is there's been no major snags and the quarters fit like they should  :thumbsup:
That's about where I'm at now. I'm waiting for the battery box and some other stuff to put the passenger side together. Then I can seal up the back side of the quarters and install them for the last time! 
I'll regret opening my mouth on this one ( theres a lot of differing opinions about this. ) but I borrowed a 305/40/18 tire and rim from a customers car and poked it in the wheel well and it looked kind cool it's 28 inches tall! So hears the thing. The front tires will be 275/35/18 and the backs were going to be 335/30/18 both about 26" tall. very big and "pro-touring" but I could go to a 345/30/19 in the rear ( it will fit ) and go for the taller 27.5" rear. Both are Viper tires just different years. I just don't know about the back being that much taller they look kinda "cartoony" but thats very popular these days and it dose look cool if it fits right. Don't tell me that 15s are all you need, this just isn't that kinda car  :grinno: I will probably stay with the 18's all around but I have time to think about it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007 - 09:40:03 PM by conv340 »