Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!

Author Topic: Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!  (Read 226458 times)

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
Re: "Twisted Fish" Channeling a 'Cuda
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2008 - 11:28:54 PM »
I attacked the fiberglass hood. The hood was fairly strait for a glass hood but still needed a bit of work to make it look good in gloss paint. I was happy with how thick the gel coat was. A lot of the problems could just be sanded out. Ok so for the fun part. Not trying to sound redundant but.  :blah: Since the car was channeled the motor sits 2" higher in the body. ( more correctly the body sits 2" lower over the drive line. making the intake plenum sit up in the hood scoop! The cold air intake and throttle body have less then 3/8" clearance to the "scoop" Worse then that after fitting the fenders and hood I think the whole front is down a little more from the last time I measured. So time to modify the hood a little. ( my favorite thing!  :grinyes:) So I cut the scoop portion moving it up 3/4 of an inch and re-glassed in. Then since I cant open the scoop for fresh air I added a fake scoop "lip?"out or fiberglass, reinforced with aluminum, to make it look like a functioning scoop.  It looks really good and its hard to tell that its been altered! 
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2008 - 11:59:38 PM »
looks real good :drool: ............... But are you going to open the back of the scoop to let air in  :dunno:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #257 on: July 21, 2008 - 12:07:40 AM »
As always, outstanding execution and finish.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #258 on: July 21, 2008 - 02:17:48 AM »
Wow... amazing work!   It's bad enough that I was jealous of your metal work skills, but now it turns out you have amazing fiberglass and body work skills as well.  :worshippy

Great all around work.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #259 on: July 21, 2008 - 06:51:23 AM »
Sorry, I know you have posted who makes that hood but I couldn't find it. Who is the vendor you got it from? Did it have the "bow" in it like all the originals do? I hate how the edges and hood are not flush on the originals and the repro-factory correct. It would be nice to have a part that fit flush and flat with the tops of the fenders intead of re-working a "factory correct flaw".

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #260 on: July 21, 2008 - 10:44:04 PM »
Sorry, I know you have posted who makes that hood but I couldn't find it.

http://www.usbodysource.com/ I had a Y/O hood first but wasn't real happy and the inner structure hit my intake. This hood is a lot nicer the seams are good no bow. ( Still needed some low spots filled.) But is has no inner air box so if you want a fresh air hood this wouldn't work. The other cool thing for me is it has a full perimeter frame so I can use a hood latch and no pins.
It's bad enough that I was jealous of your metal work skills, but now it turns out you have amazing fiberglass and body work skills as well. 

Its not that I'm that good just picky  :screwy: The pics don't show the number of hours it took to get there. I does seem to be getting easier, considering how I dislike body work, thats encouraging.
looks real good  ............... But are you going to open the back of the scoop to let air in 

I wanted to in the beginning I wanted to make a air box and filter but there is NO way thats going to fit. If I opened it up now it would just let the air / rain in and make a mess. No room for a gutter in there either ( yeah yeah I know... Drive in the rain!  :faint:) I do want to drive this car. I won't look for rain but you never know.
A few hood pics.
The fit of the new hood.
A good pic of the old hood looking in to the scoop at the intake!
Then the underside of the new hood with no air box, but nice frame! ( I was modifing the rear brace at that point.)

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2008 - 07:58:15 AM »
http://www.usbodysource.com/  But is has no inner air box so if you want a fresh air hood this wouldn't work.

What do you mean inner air box? I just want to open it up to let air in to the engine compartment. I have a K&N cone filter positioned up near the carb that could use some cooler air to feed the supercharger. Do you think the lack of an inner air box would prevent this set up from getting fresher, cooler air?
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=40788.0

My stuff might bee too tall anyway :dunno: I might have to find someone who makes a taller AAR scoop. 4 inch :clueless:

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2008 - 11:16:55 PM »
What do you mean inner air box? I just want to open it up to let air in to the engine compartment.
Then the Usbody hood would be a good choice. You would need to modify it for the air inlet. I was checking out you motor  :wow: Thats one nasty small block. I wanted to do a stroker in my conv Chally but never did. The hard part fitting it might be the blower the scope might not be wide enough to cover the plumbing.  :dunno:
Heres a couple of pics the first is a pic of the air box detail not very good.( you don't want that one!) and a 6" AAR style!  :scared:

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #263 on: July 23, 2008 - 11:40:25 PM »
Wow, 6" is way too tall! Thanks for the clarification.

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #264 on: August 07, 2008 - 06:52:29 AM »
Car is looking great!  I understand how much work you have done.  I just got the new fenders in.  Thanks for the tips.

:wow:

www.ebodyproducts.com

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #265 on: August 10, 2008 - 10:58:22 AM »
Looks good DJ.

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2008 - 03:26:55 PM »
It's been a little while I thought I would post a update. My wife did get laid off. So things will be a little tight around here. :crying: She has already found a new job. :clapping: ( I was impressed. ) it's only part time and of corse a pay cut but it will help. At best it will be a slow down for a little while, at worst.  :swear: ( You know what gets the axe first  :working: and it won't be her horse  :horse: )
I have been doing some more body work. Getting ever closer to paint I hope! I need to go back around it one more time. Theres still lots of little things left. The body line is still not a nice as I would like. I may let a body guy go over it. The doors however finally fit great. Gaps are as good as I can make them and nice and even. I think I'll put the motor back in one more time and fit the exhaust system, before I coat the bottom, just to make sure I can get every thing up nice and tight. I'd like to go stainless. ( I have stainless headers and 3" stainless tips already. I was thinking of using MagnaFlow's stainless kit and modify as needed. I have TTI and flowmasters on the other cars and would like a different sound. Quieter?  :22yikes: I must be getting old.  :roflsmiley:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008 - 03:30:30 PM by conv340 »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #267 on: August 17, 2008 - 07:00:14 PM »
Car is looking great!

Sorry to hear about the slow down in funds & the car has to suffer  :thinkerg: Maybe she can get a second job and help out a little more?  :stirpot: :poopoke:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #268 on: August 18, 2008 - 03:23:18 AM »
How did the front fenders come out................ did they take much to line up and was their much filler put in or on them anywhere please.

Good progress  :2thumbs: concidering your wife changing here carrier unwillingly.......... :faint:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #269 on: August 20, 2008 - 09:50:49 PM »
How did the front fenders come out................ did they take much to line up and was their much filler put in or on them anywhere p

The fenders are nice. the biggest problem I had has the head light bezel opening didn't fit very good at all the roll, fold? wasn't tight enough for the bezel to drop in it hit all along the top. I had to do some convincing with a big hammer! There was a little work along the door to get the seam straight but not to bad. The rest of the work was my doing  ::) I rolled the lip, molded in the marker light bezels, deleted the antennae hole and smoothed off the bottle pinch weld bolts.
Maybe she can get a second job and help out a little more?   
Posted on: A
I was hoping she would land a good enough job I could quit and just work on the car!  :thumbsup: ...and when she read this I'll have a whole new set of problems!  :villagers:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008 - 09:52:36 PM by conv340 »