Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!

Author Topic: Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!  (Read 226452 times)

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Re: "Twisted Fish" Channeling a 'Cuda
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2008 - 10:07:47 PM »
 I was hoping she would land a good enough job I could quit and just work on the car!  :thumbsup: ...and when she read this I'll have a whole new set of problems!  :villagers:
[/quote]

:roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2008 - 09:13:39 PM »
I love three day week ends. I got the exhaust in. Magna flow 3" kit. Not a bad kit. I re-worked it to fit up tighter to the body. They don't give you any head pipe and the rear exits below the valance. ( turn down) I bought a pair of 45 deg mandrel bends to make the head pipes. I ended up using the parts I cut off in the back up front for the head pipes and using the new pipe in the rear. Getting 3" over the diff and past the 4 bar, tank and air bag was the most work. It was a challenge to keep it from hitting with the air bags at full drop. All said and done it fits nice and tight to the body. It's kinda cool thewhole thing is stainless. From the factory headers to the tips.
The head pipe where it goes under the cross member is the lowest point on the car beating the tranny mount by 5/8" not to bad. I haven't dropped it yet with the exhaust on. Should have a couple of inches left!
I also did the lizard skin thing on the fenders and top coated it with bed liner for durability.  I refuse to quit I still checks left!
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2008 - 09:29:40 PM »
Looks Great I have the 3" magna flow also I love the x pipe.

I still need to have the back remade for the tips I was bumed they didnt do that but gave us turn downs instead.  :swear:

I also see your 02 bungs are twords the bottom will the 02 clear ok I pointed my bungs up twords the trany so they would not hang down.  :2cents:
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2008 - 09:37:52 PM »
That looks unreal!

Great job on the exhaust and the undercoat.

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2008 - 09:42:55 PM »
Is silver the color you have picked for the car now :bananasmi
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2008 - 10:42:44 PM »
Looks great!  What kind of bedliner did you use and how smooth of a finish does it come out as (it's hard to tell in the pics)?

Thanks,
Travis
72 Cuda

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #276 on: September 01, 2008 - 11:20:07 PM »
I also see your 02 bungs are twords the bottom will the 02 clear ok I pointed my bungs up twords the trany so they would not hang down.
They fit fine, clear the starter no problem. It seemed easier to service going down.  :dunno: The turn downs seem odd they dont look very good  even for a turn down.  :eek4:
Is silver the color you have picked for the car now
Sorry, Still going Ultra Violet Purple. ( Like plum crazy on steroids.) The under side is still Rust-bullet. I wanted to mount the exhaust hangers before I under coat it. I did think about a dark gun metal for a while. The other color I like is the copper/orange that is out now.
What kind of bedliner did you use and how smooth of a finish does it come out as (it's hard to tell in the pics)?
I'm using Dupli-Color's it is fairly smooth you can control the texture by how you shoot it. I'm putting it over the top of Lizard skin which has a fine texture to it ( fuzzy?) so it comes out kinda lumpy.
Lizard skin is too grey and would be impossible to clean. Of the "over the counter" bed liners I liked the finish of Dupli-color's the best is is jet black and has a nice satin finish. ( it's dry in the pics.) It dries hard and slightly slippery seems easy to keep clean.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008 - 11:22:24 PM by conv340 »

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2008 - 02:13:25 AM »
So your starter is on the passenger side?

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2008 - 11:07:47 PM »
So your starter is on the passenger side?
yeah crazy huh. I didn't even dawn on me ( I work on to many Fords :icon16:) untill I was looking at header options. The A580 Auto stick trans has the starter on the wrong side.  :-\ Just one of MANY problems in trying to use the German trans.  :violin:

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2008 - 11:54:31 PM »
Are you serious?  Thats the five speed auto in the LX cars, right?  What a joke.  I hear that tranny is one tough sob though. 

Offline Timmy C

« Reply #280 on: September 03, 2008 - 03:05:52 PM »
Are you serious?  Thats the five speed auto in the LX cars, right?  What a joke.  I hear that tranny is one tough sob though. 
I don't know who told you that.  They don't hold up to a lot of torque.  My 300 is at the dealer as we speak for the trans, and it is all stock.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2008 - 06:38:50 PM »
I don't know who told you that.  They don't hold up to a lot of torque.  My 300 is at the dealer as we speak for the trans, and it is all stock.

Yup - one of my co-workers had to take his new V6 Charger to the dealer after the trans locked up solid. 
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #282 on: September 04, 2008 - 12:42:46 AM »
I suddenly feel the need to defend my transmission choice.   :bricks1:
Heres my  :2cents:
As I have researched it.  :chatting:
The A-580 ( nag-1 ) trans against a 6.1L SRT-8 is not the same trans as a 5.7 or v-6 even though they have a "auto-stick"
One of the biggest reasons for going with it is it hasn't been done before. The other biggy is it's a blast to drive especially when tweaked. I hang out with the local SRT-8 club and work on SRT-8s The easy choice would be a 5-speed stick. That kinda goes against the whole point of building something unique.
The A-580 is a close ratio 5speed ( only one overdrive. ) much nicer then a 3 or even 4 speed auto.
There are three issues that I know about. A updated shift strategy. ( Not an issue with a aftermarket computer ) A fluid leak at the electrical connector and a bad seal on the dip stick tube that lets water get into the trans. both of which can destroy the trans. ( and can be fixed for a couple of bucks. )
As far as durability. Hennessey runs 600hp out of the 6.1 with a stock trans. The only trans failure was from over heating the torque converter. So now there is a updated converter and a 650 hp option. ( no trans probs so far. ) GS Motor sports kit runs 500 rear wheel hp and 507 ft LBS of torque at the rear wheels. The only trans option... a better TQ. Heat is a killer of any trans. heat is caused by the amount of tq to weight. The Cuda is almost 1000lbs lighter then an LX car so that should help.
PCS, the maker of custom trans controllers, builds a computer for this trans used by the military. Russel has helped me a lot with the complexities of trying to make this trans work. His words were " It's fairly bullet proof." When I asked about whether I should just use the 545RFE ( HEMI truck trans ) His said "Well they are a lot less forgiving we've broke a few.

My biggest fear is not being able to get the trans shift tables right for a compromise of a smooth shift at light throttle and a firm shift at wide open. I do like a challenge. Time will tell. Some times if feels like it may be obsolete before I finish it!
Sorry if that sounded like a rant just my  :violin:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008 - 12:46:55 AM by conv340 »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #283 on: September 04, 2008 - 06:58:18 AM »
 :iagree:
I like what your doing and if I had the know how I would do it!

In a few years I may after I get tired of the manual trans.  :dunno:  (And can copy your setup  :smilielol:)

I know the AEM would help but the  FAST you went with should have the shift tables also.

Your hole car is differant why not the trans.  my  :2cents: for what its worth...

:2thumbs:                   :aarg:
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #284 on: September 07, 2008 - 10:39:09 PM »
Confederate Cuda and I, and maybe some others, are using XV power windows. theres been some problems fitting them. To be fair I have not yet called XV about the problem but I decided I had better fit my window regulator and see what was happening "before I get it painted" It's a real bummer that they didn't take a little more time to test fit it in all the applications.
I can only speak for 1970 Cudas and Challengers But the track in question seems to be the same on all of my cars. So XV should have had to fix it on there cars also? 
The problem.
As you mentioned There are two sets of mounting holes in the door for the regulator. It looks for all the world like they did the mock up in the lower holes then final motor fitting in the upper holes. So how did anybody ever get them to work?
With the regulator in the upper holes the guide ( at the back of the door) is to low making the window track sit at an angle. You can't use the lower holes because the motor and mound would be out the bottom of the door!    If you mount every thing but the rear guide and line up the window. The slide sits exactly 2.75 higher then the track . ( The same distance as the two sets mounting holes are apart.) I held the rear mount in the new location and applied power to the motor. The good news is the regulator has more then enough room to allow the window to go full up and down still. 
So the fix isn't to bad, pop the spot welds on the track and move the slide up. 2.75" and weld it back on. the good news is you don't have to modify your door!
The real question is why XV hasn't stepped up and made a fix or even acknowledged the problem?   
Hers some pics to help make sense of my idea. 
pic 2 shows the arm in its new position ( with the window aligned )
pic 3 shows the track ( flipped around so you can see the guide ) as it is from the factory.