Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!

Author Topic: Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!  (Read 226382 times)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
the headliner looks great  :bigshades:    My car came with a 5 bow but I want to to take the GC route.
What kind of material is it made of?  and how do you get it to bend in 2 directions in the corners? anyone got a template for it? ... should have made one when the body was up in the rotisserie  :banghead:
*** Bart ***

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
What kind of material is it made of?  and how do you get it to bend in 2 directions in the corners?
They are a molded fiber board. Most are in bad shape. I looked around a bit a found no one remaking them. So I repaired mine fiberglass resin. And yes the compound bow is the problem very hard to make.  :clueless:
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline MoparCar

I've seen guys build a solid headliner by using mold release or plastic over the outside of the roof skin to make a mold and then reverse fiberglassing that mold into the headliner. I've never done this myself, but have seen pictures of the process. I've also seen a build where they took a metal roof skin, cut it up and used it as the actual headliner for a "solid" headliner.

Wes

Offline cudachall74

hey those plates will be the icing on the cake top job :burnout:
74 barracuda
74 challenger

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
I know a couple of years ago this guy had a mold.  I'll write out his email address so he does not get spamed. rtseucode at yahoo.com.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
it would  be impossible for me to have someone with a mold make and ship me one  :money:   so I`m thinking to make a solid headline of a soft aluminum and wheel/ shrink it into the correct curves... bunch of work but I would like to use some kind of overhead console... and I like the straight looks of the solid liners 
*** Bart ***

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
it would  be impossible for me to have someone with a mold make and ship me one  :money:   so I`m thinking to make a solid headline of a soft aluminum and wheel/ shrink it into the correct curves... bunch of work but I would like to use some kind of overhead console... and I like the straight looks of the solid liners
Man that would be cool your a metal working fool(in a good way)  :poopoke:

Love your resourcefulness attude  :2thumbs:

Bob what are the 3 white buttons for in the center?
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
Bob what are the 3 white buttons for in the center?
Fog lights, trunk release, and hmm... I guess I  would call it car show mode. It's a ignition bypass for some of the lighting like the halos.
so I`m thinking to make a solid headline of a soft aluminum and wheel/ shrink it into the correct curves... bunch of work
:22yikes: Thats beyond my abilitys, Sure would be nice though. I think I would make a fiberglass one molding it from the outside of the roof. Im not sure it is the same contour but it would be close. one other little thing to consider where the headliner meets the sunvisor mount its droped down about 3/8" a little triangle mounting pad. The good news is the sail  panels are the same.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
not quiet sure what you mean with the headliner dropping down  :clueless:   I`ll build a console first and go from there with the headliner. I`m pretty sure I can get it to fit nice with an english wheel and an Eckolt shrinkingmachine... might take a few attempts though.  When I hit that stage of my build, I`ll adress a topic to that project... still got a bunch of other stuff to do before that   :P
*** Bart ***

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
I think the only real way to make a mold is with a car on a rotis.    It would be messy as heck but would probably relatively easy for someone with ample fiberglass experience

BTT  :wow:  :wow:  :wow:
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline Justins72

Update?

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
It has been a while! The progress has been slow but it is picking up again now. Hay if your wait long enough It looks like your making good progress!
Lets see, got the sliding license plate installed looks cool at night with the led lighting.
I sold a bunch of extra Cuda parts and bought my stereo components. ( seems like an odd choice if your low on cash but theres a lot of integration so its time to get it fit )
I went with a JVC head unit one that black out completely when of it's glossy black and really looks good with the gages. I had to trim the lower panel as always to make it fit and roll down. ( for Cd's) but it fits real flush and looks like part of the dash. I finished the hide away DVD Monitor. Some where back there are some pics of all the dash mods to make it work. But when closed the dash is smooth between the glove box and the lower radio trim. Push a button and the dash rolls around and theres a 7" monitor. I went with Infinity Kappa's for amps ans speakers. The amps are mounted vertical between the package between the sub woofer box and the rear seat. oh the air ride computer is in there to. The crossovers are on one side and the power caps are on the other side of the box. With the air ride in one quarter panel and the battery and power distribution in the other. Its a lot of packaging. but every thing fits inside the trunk opening. so once I upholster the trunk it will all look smooth and have enough room left for a... well not much, its a 'Cuda after all!
I was going to do Focal components but it wasn't in the budget at this point.

I don't think It will let my do pics tonight so so be patient. I'll put some more on facebook as well

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
That was actually meant to be posted a few weeks ago but never made it I see. So now theres some more good news and progress.
I picked up a few side jobs and found a little more coin so.
The saga of 275-35-18 in the front is at an end. Theirs a few of us that think we need a big tire in the front as well as the back so... The if you've been following this and or your one of the one want to stuff 275's in the front. I probably don't have a good answer for you but heres what I did to make it work for Twisted Fish. After getting the 18x9 front rims with a 6inch back space which do fit under the fenders but with as low as the car is they rubbed the fenders in a not so tight turn. So for my fist test drives I had the air ride cranked almost all the way up. ( kinda defeats the who reason for building it low) So I talked to willwood and got a set of offset hubs and new caliper brackets to move the wheel in 7 tenths on an inch. At that point the rim can be pushed back out if needed with spacers. as it turned out I left them all the way in. Now with anything less then 18" it won't work it will hit the steering and upper control arm. as it is at full lock it will know off my wheel weight. So I pulled the lower control arms and welded up a hard stop should have done that a long time ago. Its all back together now and works great with the springs at mid-point which is quite low nothing hits so I don't have to worry anymore about destroying my fenders. Now it I drop it on the ground thats another story.
So I got the front end done.
Remade a brake line that was still seeping and stopped a power steering leak.
Time for a road test.So before going on another road test. I Made a bunch of changes to the trans computer for shift timing and such.  So today I took it and was afraid I wasn't going to make it back.
it ran terrible and was shifting very wrong. not a happy camper. I couldn't understand what went wrong. I turns out that all it takes is one "bit" of software was off. The FAST computer can store 4 programs for different "tunes"  one "byte" 0,1,2,3, I had finished the wiring for a 2 position switch in the glove boy so I can have two different tunes. Theres three wires 1,2, and return. No problem but the "first" program isn't '"1" its "0" oops...
after correction my mistake I make a few more test runs with a VERY happy smile on my face. It's running very nice and shifting near perfect. Man made my day. Still need to fine tune the motor and put it on the dyno. But its getting closer!!
Oh one last thing I bought a upholstery sewing machine... Time to learn something new. ha ha this should be fun.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Bob nice to hear your making progress I was wondering what was up.

So now that you have mastered so many talents will you go into the custom car biz  :poopoke:

It's time for some video of your car  :bigsmile:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Confederate Cuda

Good to hear from you Bob, keep us posted. I might just have to buy a plane ticket just to take a ride in that bad boy.