Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!

Author Topic: Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!  (Read 226371 times)

Offline Justins72

Re: Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!
« Reply #705 on: October 15, 2010 - 12:11:48 PM »
They are turning out really nice. Got a question though, What glue are you using? Reason I ask is because my vinyl is already starting to come undone from the heat. I was using the DAP weldwood stuff.  I notice DAP has a glue for this kind of stuff but for spray guns only problem is that everywhere I look they wont ship it to california.

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
Re: Twisted Fish 6.1 Pro-Touring, Channeled, bagged, finaly going back together!
« Reply #706 on: October 19, 2010 - 10:35:34 PM »
What glue are you using?
Good question Ive tried several. All spray bombs well mostly. so far the best seems to be 3m super trim adhesive. For vinyl and 3m general adhesive for  the light weight foam backed stuff. I had issues so I tried several and put them in my driver and left them in the sun. So far so good I used goop automotive contact adhesive on the back side where it wanted to lift and bond panels seems Good so far. Beacon adhesives makes one called fabri-tac permanent adhesive. works great for making a seam or hem  without sewing. Beverly's fabrics turned me on to that one.
But hey I'm just learning this as I go who knows  :lol2: So I was going to ask you about how yours was doing!  :bigsmile:

On a different note and very frustrating.  One of my Ride Tech shocks failed already  :pullinghair: I talked to Bill (RMS) and Tony at Ride Tech, both nice people. The short story is oh ya there was some issues with the shock they were using at that time. ( Veri-Shock ) and now we use a better one ( AFCO ) that has better valving and no leaks. Since I bought mine 3 year ago no warranty.  :violin: But hay they will give you a trade in price for the new ones. $700  :faint:

Anyway I will post some more progress pics on the interior soon!
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline Mopey Mopar

« Reply #707 on: October 20, 2010 - 01:14:56 AM »

...Since I bought mine 3 year ago no warranty...

Man that SUCKS !!!  :stomp:

MM

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #708 on: October 20, 2010 - 07:14:07 AM »
if they know anything about your project, and the few times you`ve actually used the car, I think they should come up with a better offer than the 700 for a new set.   :2cents:
*** Bart ***

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #709 on: October 24, 2010 - 09:12:34 PM »
I have been reupholsering the Front buckets there corbeau's but I want to have the 'Cuda pattern and some more orange so I pulled apart the center and have been making new skins for them.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #710 on: October 24, 2010 - 10:46:26 PM »
Very nice job with the seat re-upholstering! :cheers: :2thumbs:  That sucks you already had one of your shocks fail, though.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #711 on: October 25, 2010 - 07:56:35 AM »
What brand of sewing machine are you using? How does it handle the thicker materials? Is it a commercial type machine?
Thanks, Wes

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #712 on: October 26, 2010 - 10:25:48 AM »
I cannot believe this keeps getting better!!!   :wow:
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #713 on: November 14, 2010 - 11:40:10 PM »
What brand of sewing machine are you using?
Its a Necchi its not commercial grade but it is upholstery capable. It has a 1hp motor. I am all ready at point where I would like something bigger, a larger throat would be nice.

Good news from Ride Tech. They looked at my shocks and pics of my car and decided to give me the set for $450 thats upgraded to the new and improved shocks. basically giving me the failed one for free. That made me happy.  :)

I finished the door panels I have to say the armrest bump is a pain in the but. took several attempts to get it smooth around the rounded bump. They aren't perfect but you have to be looking close. They will work for now.

I have been working on the back seat I want it to look like the fronts. I have the factory back seat frame and reworked it to fit the body mods some time ago. It was a toss up weather to use it or start from scratch. To make it look like to buckets is a lot of work. I have been cutting and shaping foam. I'll let the pic show how it came out. I'm real happy. I have hit a snag I'm not sure I am good enough to cover all the bolsters. They are a pain in the butt. I have decided part of the problem is the foam I used is to soft it wont hold its shape against the leather.  :clueless:
Starting over with denser foam foam would be a major pain, but...

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #714 on: November 15, 2010 - 06:02:49 AM »
Nice as always Bob :bigsmile:

And that's great ride tech stepped up to do what was nessary.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Justins72

« Reply #715 on: December 23, 2010 - 01:42:55 PM »
 :popcorn: Updates?

Offline varlo

« Reply #716 on: January 06, 2011 - 01:12:34 PM »
this is such a badass build. I love it!

Offline larry4406

« Reply #717 on: January 07, 2011 - 05:37:13 AM »
What is the orange on the door panels?  An insert or paint?

Offline Justins72

« Reply #718 on: January 08, 2011 - 03:15:52 PM »
It looks to be orange piping or welting I think they call it, that could of been glued/pressed into the channel that's there or sewn to the black leather or vinyl that was used to cover the panel.

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #719 on: January 10, 2011 - 11:48:58 PM »
I'm back  :wave: Thanks for pushing my post back up.
I took a break and spent the holidays with family and friends. The back seat was giving me grief  :pullinghair: This is supposed to be fun right? So I'm back at it and think I'm making progress. It's still being test fit but it's taking shape and looking pretty good. I let the pictures show where I'm at.
I got my new black wiper arms on, and the replacement air bags installed.
I got a chance over the holidays to take it on a road test. Between rain storms. I put it in full manual shift mode. This is the first time since the new trans programing. ( last time it missed a shift  :22yikes: ) I started out slow and loved the exhaust note hanging at about 3k. The shifts were great. Tap the shifter and instant shift firm but not harsh. soon I found my self bumping the rev-limiter at 6k. Man I love the torque.  :burnout: I cut the road test shorter then I might have liked. The power steering pump gets noisy when hot. Might need to replace it and or add a cooler?
What is the orange on the door panels?  An insert or paint?
They are an insert covered with the same orange vinyl as the seats. I was lucky the car was a Gran Coupe so it had the red inserts from the factory. Before someone gets excited they weren't in very good shape the chrome edge was really discolored. But it did make it nice to have something to cover and the mounting tabs to hold it on.